Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - PobjoySpecial - 2013-05-12

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - oddbin - 2013-05-13

Did we ever settle on a fix for the green picture and audio playing?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-05-13

Yeh. You rollback your graphics drivers.

Its arrives but i'm Stuck in Mexico. Can't play yet.....

Hope simerec is sat on the door mat waiting for me lol.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - oddbin - 2013-05-13

Damn. Roll back isn't really an option openelec.

Grats on the NUC!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-05-13

Have a look on the openELEC forum for rollback.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - cater - 2013-05-14

(2013-05-11, 08:27)Crssi Wrote: Now I have to resolve also a decent IR remote sollution with power on/off sollution.

Did anyone tried http://www.streacom.com/products/irpb-receiver/ ?

It looks promising.

More info in their PDF: http://www.streacom.com/downloads/ug/irpb.pdf

Good find. I just ordered the Celeron version and I'm most concerned with setting up my IR situation.

I noticed, however, that on the website it says:

Quote:Special Features: Power On from Off state**
, and the **s indicate:

Quote:** Requires power to USB when off, see motherboard specification for support of this feature

Can someone with more technical knowledge comment on this? It is my understanding that the USB ports do not have power when the device is turned off.

Also, I noticed this on the Simerec website:

http://www.simerec.com/PCS-MA.html

It looks like this device has both the on/off (like the Simerec-1), as well as a USB connector that handles all of the standard IR functions.

It looks like this would work with some modification. Can anyone with some technical knowledge chime in on this? This almost seems like the best option for getting one IR receiver that supports on/off and everything. It also seems like you wouldn't need to modify the case for this, as you can place the black IR receiver on top of the device.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - lukasnmd - 2013-05-14

(2013-03-29, 00:59)Sunflux Wrote: For those trying to turn the machine on via the internal USB header: that won't work either. It still doesn't get power when the machine is off. The only way to turn it on when powered down is the physical power button, or Wake-On-LAN. Also, you can set up a single timer in the BIOS.

Page 54

I think your answer is already in this thread... USB isnt powered when the NUC is OFF.

Thanks for pulling that up. I thought i read that somewhere. What about the simerec PCS-MA option? This seems like it would kill two birds with one stone and it would all be controlled from one IR dongle, rather than having to modify the case.

I doesnt know how this version works, if it is powered by 5 volts, than it could work, anyway you would have to drill a hole in the case, since it doesnt have room for bracket. Roll back a few pages, some people had pics on theirs NUC w/ simrec and a hole, beatiful work, IMHO.

(2013-05-14, 03:10)lukasnmd Wrote: I doesnt know how this version works, if it is powered by 5 volts, than it could work, anyway you would have to drill a hole in the case, since it doesnt have room for bracket. Roll back a few pages, some people had pics on theirs NUC w/ simrec and a hole, beatiful work, IMHO.

I agree it looks great - I just wish there was a way to have an external dongle using that method in case you dont have a direct line of sight to the front of the NUC.

I emailed the Company selling the simerec to see if the device I posted controls everything through the external dongle, in which case I'll buy it and let everyone know how it goes.

In the meantime, can someone recommend me RAM for my Celeron NUC? I want to get 4GB in there (2 x 2GB sticks), but I would like some recommendations from people who know more than I do. I have it paired with a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD

I am building two of these devices, so I have considered going with an 8GB (2x 4GB sticks), and using one stick in each NUC. Is there any disadvantage to this, rather than going with 2x 2GB sticks in each NUC?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-05-14

Simerec is for on/off function only. You'll need a separate IR for remote control.

Like flirc or RC6 etc.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - PobjoySpecial - 2013-05-14

(2013-05-14, 04:49)cater Wrote:
(2013-05-14, 03:10)lukasnmd Wrote: I doesnt know how this version works, if it is powered by 5 volts, than it could work, anyway you would have to drill a hole in the case, since it doesnt have room for bracket. Roll back a few pages, some people had pics on theirs NUC w/ simrec and a hole, beatiful work, IMHO.

I agree it looks great - I just wish there was a way to have an external dongle using that method in case you dont have a direct line of sight to the front of the NUC.

I emailed the Company selling the simerec to see if the device I posted controls everything through the external dongle, in which case I'll buy it and let everyone know how it goes.

In the meantime, can someone recommend me RAM for my Celeron NUC? I want to get 4GB in there (2 x 2GB sticks), but I would like some recommendations from people who know more than I do. I have it paired with a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD

I am building two of these devices, so I have considered going with an 8GB (2x 4GB sticks), and using one stick in each NUC. Is there any disadvantage to this, rather than going with 2x 2GB sticks in each NUC?

Go with 2x4GB, then you can upgrade later. You never know if you will need it.

(2013-05-14, 05:19)jammyb Wrote: Simerec is for on/off function only. You'll need a separate IR for remote control.

Like flirc or RC6 etc.

Simrec PCS-MA can do it, on/off + another media functions. AFAIK.

(2013-05-14, 08:23)PobjoySpecial Wrote:
(2013-05-14, 00:17)cater Wrote:
Quote:** Requires power to USB when off, see motherboard specification for support of this feature

Can someone with more technical knowledge comment on this? It is my understanding that the USB ports do not have power when the device is turned off.

They don't, but you can tap +5V off of the front panel LED header. Search this thread for more information.

The 70's pages. =D

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-05-14

So use the "search this thread" box at the top right of the page and search simerec.

Not difficult bud. Otherwise this threads gonna go round in circles and a lot of misinformation will begin appearing.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - TugboatBill - 2013-05-14

Can anyone with Openelec installed comment on how long (seconds) it takes to get to the main XBMC screen from a cold boot?