Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - User 68127 - 2013-06-24

How would a Celeron run on Windows 7/8? I'm after 1080p MKV's and HD Netflix/YouTube etc, can it handle those? Or would you need an i3?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - spencers - 2013-06-24

(2013-06-21, 12:02)MrBogus Wrote:
(2013-06-21, 10:15)wgards8 Wrote: Is this version 9.18.10.3165? I was under the impression that the corrupted graphics were present on the old driver and that a new one was released on the 6/11/2013 without these problems. Have I got this wrong?

Yeah, this is in version previous to 9.18.10.3165, but also confirmed not working in 9.18.10.3165 by me, as I thought that would be corrected by now. Others in that thread confirmed the same.

Confirmed by me as well. Going to rollback, yet again.

Come on, Intel! Confused

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - dr_frankenstein - 2013-06-24

I am using the Celeron version with openelec I can't imagine it breaking too much of a sweat with windows.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - GortWillSaveUs - 2013-06-24

(2013-06-24, 18:48)dr_frankenstein Wrote: I am using the Celeron version with openelec I can't imagine it breaking too much of a sweat with windows.

Agreed! +1

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - navigates - 2013-06-24

I went with the i3 version. Hoping it will take me to the future of 4k? I also put in the 256gb. but I feel i over did the configuration. I've used about 25 gb in total.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - spencers - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-24, 23:52)navigates Wrote: I went with the i3 version. Hoping it will take me to the future of 4k? I also put in the 256gb. but I feel i over did the configuration. I've used about 25 gb in total.

Overconfigured just a little bit... Big Grin

I got away with using a 32GB, and that's with Win8 installed! Currently have 5-7gb free

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Aemstel - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-19, 13:18)LeJon Wrote: Both are 1080p but the 4k video still looks sharper and more detailed compared to 1080p at same viewing distance. Of course, it will be more noticeable if it's played on a 4k tv.

This makes no sense. If you're viewing both the 4k version and the 1080p version on a 1080p screen, you will have the same amount of pixels/ detail. I suppose the 4k might look better because youtube downscales it to 1080p which apparantly isn't done too well.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But with 2 pristine sources, one 4k and one 1080p, they should look the same on a 1080p screen. The 4k will obviously look better on a 4k capable screen, but you'd need one huge screen to be able to see that detail from a regular viewing distance (living room, >3m.). To see the difference in detail between 1080p and 720p, at 3m, you will need about a 60" screen. So imagine the size you need to be able to see the added detail of 4k at that distance.

I think 4k is a hype that is of no real benefit to any regular household/ livingroom televisions. But maybe I'm missing something..?

To be a bit more ontopic: the new Intel NUC's with Haswell seem great. Smooth Aeon Nox XMBC with HD audio and 3D playback (Windows with stereoscopic player) in such a small form factor. Really looking forward to getting one.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - navigates - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-25, 16:59)spencers Wrote:
(2013-06-24, 23:52)navigates Wrote: I went with the i3 version. Hoping it will take me to the future of 4k? I also put in the 256gb. but I feel i over did the configuration. I've used about 25 gb in total.

Overconfigured just a little bit... Big Grin

I got away with using a 32GB, and that's with Win8 installed! Currently have 5-7gb free

I had initially installed the 128 gb SSD but then went with 256 thinking I may need it in future, you never know. At that point I'd have to re-buy it all over again. The NUC along with memory and the bluetooth card isin't cheap and its a little way more to go for hdd.

I dind't like windows 8 on my NUC. Primary reasons to go back to win 7 was.

1. The bluetooth takes about 10 seconds after bootup to take in effect. Since I have a bluetooth keyboard and the PS3 bluetooth remote. this is an additional delay. So essentially I gain 2 seconds in bootup over win 7 but looks 10 seconds in usability.
2. Wake up on lan needs hibernate mode where as windows 7 wakes from magic packet from scratch. BIG BENEFIT
3. Windows 8 version I purchased on Amazon is not Pro which means it lacks windows media center which has the best netflix. I have netflix configured with a click of a button on the remote.
4. I couldn't navigate the metro browser netflix perfectly with my remote.

Having said that. I may give windows 8 another try but there has to be something more that it brings to the table as a media center. Right now I've wasted my 100 bucks on windows 8 which I haven't returned.

(2013-06-25, 20:51)Aemstel Wrote:
(2013-06-19, 13:18)LeJon Wrote: Both are 1080p but the 4k video still looks sharper and more detailed compared to 1080p at same viewing distance. Of course, it will be more noticeable if it's played on a 4k tv.

This makes no sense. If you're viewing both the 4k version and the 1080p version on a 1080p screen, you will have the same amount of pixels/ detail. I suppose the 4k might look better because youtube downscales it to 1080p which apparantly isn't done too well.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But with 2 pristine sources, one 4k and one 1080p, they should look the same on a 1080p screen. The 4k will obviously look better on a 4k capable screen, but you'd need one huge screen to be able to see that detail from a regular viewing distance (living room, >3m.). To see the difference in detail between 1080p and 720p, at 3m, you will need about a 60" screen. So imagine the size you need to be able to see the added detail of 4k at that distance.

I think 4k is a hype that is of no real benefit to any regular household/ livingroom televisions. But maybe I'm missing something..?

(but all of this is a bit offtopic, sorry for that Wink )

Good discussion though. However the pothead that I am. I know I may jump into buying a 75 inch 4k model probably next year. I'm in an apartment by the way and already have a sony 65XBRHX929 with a bose lifestyle v35. I love the size and screen.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - LeJon - 2013-06-27

(2013-06-25, 20:51)Aemstel Wrote:

To be a bit more ontopic: the new Intel NUC's with Haswell seem great. Smooth Aeon Nox XMBC with HD audio and 3D playback (Windows with stereoscopic player) in such a small form factor. Really looking forward to getting one.

4k Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GYrbecb88
1080p Video (No downscaling) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2L2UGZJAM

No matter how many 1080p videos I have seen, the 4k Video still looks sharper and more detailed to me.

Back on topic, the new Intel NUC fanless aluminium case looks stunning. As I will only be using it with OpenElec+XBMC, I might just go ahead with the i3 version and hopefully, it can transcode 4k well enough.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-06-28

Running Celeron NUC with openelec.

If I try to watch 1080p content from server. I get buffering every 30 seconds.

This is all network wired. Plus the server is gigabit!

Run it off me old revo 3700 is perfect!

What am I doing wrong?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DaveNinja - 2013-06-28

what happens if you try and play the same 1080p content from a thumb drive connected to the NUC?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-06-29

Started doing it a little on the Revo.

Must be a drive starting to fail on the server. [usually is!]

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Raytestrak - 2013-06-30

(2013-06-28, 21:57)jammyb Wrote: Running Celeron NUC with openelec.

If I try to watch 1080p content from server. I get buffering every 30 seconds.

This is all network wired. Plus the server is gigabit!

Run it off me old revo 3700 is perfect!

What am I doing wrong?

Try the other HDMI port, if you have the dual HDMI one . I had the same problem with my i3 NUC. Switching ports solved it for me.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - scarecrow420 - 2013-07-01

I currently have 2 miniITX HTPC running Windows 7 and Windows 8, with Z68 and H77 chipset socket 1155 motherboards, Intel Pentium G620 and G860 CPUs and both with 4GB RAM and 60GB SSD's. XBMC runs great on both, and I have no issues with 1080P video over HDMI and HD audio bitstreaming over HDMI to my receiver etc.

Im looking at the NUC for the next HTPC's I want to build, but struggling to make the choice between the core i3 verison or the $100+ cheaper celeron version. Im totally happy with the Pentium CPUs I have now, but hard to know whether the celeron is too much of a step down. Would rather not spend the extra money unless it's required for a completely robust XBMC experience. Most in this thread who mention Celerons are running openelec rather than windows 7 or windows 8 and it isnt clear if its smooth sailing or not. I suppose I should also mention that I use WCM for live/recording TV until the XBMC pvr stuff gets a bit more stable.

Is there any recent comment on celeron NUC, particularly on windows 8 or windows 7?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - supafly - 2013-07-02

Hello,

I'm also interested in purchasing a NUC to use with XBMC on Windows 7.

My only intention of using the NUC is for playing SD & HD content from an attached hard drive.
The content has been encoded with Handbrake, so it isn't a full rip of a bluray disc (biggest files are ~10 GB).

I don't plan on using it for much else - perhaps Netflix down the road.

How much Ram is needed for this? 2 gb? 4 gb?
Also, I'm leaning towards a 64gb SSD as I am looking at putting Windows 7 on it.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!