Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Legion455 - 2013-07-14

(2013-07-14, 22:28)jammyb Wrote: Can I just chime in that my OE Celeron NUC [in my eyes, is running flawlessly]

No crushed blacks, no glitches in motion shots, hell, even modding internal IR's for on/off and remote control work perfectly.

I can't fault any of it. I praise XBMC and I praise OE.

Just get sky go working on it and I'll live happily ever after!

hey there, might I ask what settings for Video playback you have?

thanks Legion

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - p750mmx - 2013-07-15

(2013-07-14, 19:33)FlammableD Wrote:
(2013-07-12, 20:10)p750mmx Wrote:
(2013-07-10, 13:54)FlammableD Wrote: That's a shame, I want Netflix, so I guess I'm stuck.
Just use the older drivers and that problem is solved? Intel knows now what the problem is and they will fix it but at this moment they can't say when the new drivers will be available. That won't take months I presume.

Edit: Beta drivers for Windows 8(.1); http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Releases-Iris-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-Version-9-18-10-3214-367506.shtml

Thanks for the tip, how old do I need to go?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22373 (32)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22376 (64)

Try it with one of the above?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - snowjim - 2013-07-15

(2013-07-14, 22:09)Ned Scott Wrote: The number of XBMC Windows devs haven't gone down. We probably have more than when we didn't have Android. Very few devs work on just the new platforms. If anything, Windows is the best platform for XBMC right now because the audio stuff.

The issue in this case has far more to do with intel GPUs than OS. Even OpenELEC has issues on NUC GPUs.

Okay, I was told earlier in this forum that Windows was the worse platform and it was almost impossible to get it working in a perfect way (playback/sync). Im almost certan that it was one of the devs that said this. It might of course be false but I have still not find a setup that works perfect with Windows and XBMC.

I have two setups right now, regular Intel NUC i3 (fresh Windows 7)(Sound with external soundcard to get optic) and a Zotac HD-ND22(fresh Windows 8) and none of them works perfect. Nuc is faster but needs alot of sync settings like sync video to audio and so on and this makes wind forward/backward akt strange, I also have to set a specific audio sync delay as default on all media. Zotac do not need any sync to video but it will need a default audio sync delay.

Last update I did of XBMC broke the sorting, before the sort order "Last added" was sorted on the date of when the media was added to XBMC database, the new version changed so "Last added" sorted on Last modified on the file itself. Winrar do not change the Last Modified on files in Windows so no luck for all of us that gets media in rar format, It was however kind that a advancedSetting(dateadded) was added. When asking in forum it was clear that they(dev) did not care much for the big mass, the important thing was that it fitted them selfs and there friends.

For me, this is fine and understandable(its free and not commercial), but it also makes me avoid upgrading even if it might solve some problems becouse it might as well break something else that is important to me.

95% of the time I can see the media without any big issues so Im happy for now. Big Grin

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - ridinkidonk - 2013-07-16

Hey guys,

There is some great info on this thread; I am very interested in purchasing an Intel NUC, ideally the i3 version.

With the eve of the Haswell versions of these units coming out, do you think it's worthwhile waiting for them or should I just go for the current version available?

I plan on running Openelec as most people seem to have a great experience with it and can run Windows 7/8 if need be instead. I also plan on plugging it into an Marantz NR1603 receiver to use my 5.1 setup and this is the main reason I got those things, so that I'd get a NUC to utilise them.

I am only going to get content from my Synology NAS and from addons/repositories via online links and that's really all the unit will be used for, I don't need to plug anything in via USB but appreciate that I can.

I guess what I am trying to get at is, do you think the newer Haswell revisions of the Intel NUC really be worthwhile over the current generation? I also wondered about whether or not there would be issues in using the Mini HDMI that is on the newer revision over the standard HDMI ports on the current generation. Would there be any disadvantages here? I've used both types of cabling before with other devices and just wondered if there would be any problem in using Mini HDMI with XBMC.

Sorry for all of the questions - haven't seen much talk of the Haswell units yet seeing as how lots of people are happy with the current generation so for anyone who was interested perhaps we can discuss it.

Thank you.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Raytestrak - 2013-07-16

(2013-07-16, 02:40)ridinkidonk Wrote: Hey guys,

There is some great info on this thread; I am very interested in purchasing an Intel NUC, ideally the i3 version.

With the eve of the Haswell versions of these units coming out, do you think it's worthwhile waiting for them or should I just go for the current version available?

I plan on running Openelec as most people seem to have a great experience with it and can run Windows 7/8 if need be instead. I also plan on plugging it into an Marantz NR1603 receiver to use my 5.1 setup and this is the main reason I got those things, so that I'd get a NUC to utilise them.

I am only going to get content from my Synology NAS and from addons/repositories via online links and that's really all the unit will be used for, I don't need to plug anything in via USB but appreciate that I can.

I guess what I am trying to get at is, do you think the newer Haswell revisions of the Intel NUC really be worthwhile over the current generation? I also wondered about whether or not there would be issues in using the Mini HDMI that is on the newer revision over the standard HDMI ports on the current generation. Would there be any disadvantages here? I've used both types of cabling before with other devices and just wondered if there would be any problem in using Mini HDMI with XBMC.

Sorry for all of the questions - haven't seen much talk of the Haswell units yet seeing as how lots of people are happy with the current generation so for anyone who was interested perhaps we can discuss it.

Thank you.

I believe the haswell NUC will have an IR receiver built in. This could be a good thing, because it'll probably be able to power on via remote control. Secondly, in the OpenElec forum I read someone who had 23,97fps playback working correctly on haswell. I can only get my Ivy Bridge to do 24fps (not that I see any judder issues). Another new feature is usb 3.0, but that's only handy if you have an external usb 3.0 disk connected.

Mini HDMI versus standard HDMI makes no difference, it's just a different connector.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - ridinkidonk - 2013-07-16

(2013-07-16, 08:01)Raytestrak Wrote: I believe the haswell NUC will have an IR receiver built in. This could be a good thing, because it'll probably be able to power on via remote control. Secondly, in the OpenElec forum I read someone who had 23,97fps playback working correctly on haswell. I can only get my Ivy Bridge to do 24fps (not that I see any judder issues). Another new feature is usb 3.0, but that's only handy if you have an external usb 3.0 disk connected.

Mini HDMI versus standard HDMI makes no difference, it's just a different connector.

Thanks for your reply.

I did read that it would have an IR receiver; this would be great as I would have just stuck with my Logitech K400R keyboard or something so knowing we can turn it on or off with a remote control would be a plus.

What do you think about the power consumption? I know that Haswell is meant to provide good computing power with a lot less power consumption. I am just the type of person who future proofs himself so I guess the Haswell NUCs will be worth the wait. If it plays back lots of assorted files correctly and will play more powerful things (10bit, etc) then I am interested and will wait.

I am just afraid of the horrible Australian pricing I know we will get here...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - dazm46 - 2013-07-16

well having read all this thread im looking at the 1.1 celeron version but can't help wondering what do these nuc have over a med8er 600 which can do frame packed 3d ,and i don't have to had memory /flash pen or msata .the med8er 600 is only £120 / nuc with memory is gonna be about £150.some of you wise people might know thanks .

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-07-16

The i5 is just hitting the market, so I wouldn't expect the haswell units to be ready at the same time.

The haswell units will have integrated IR, but the current i5 has vPro capability which means you can turn on/off through the network and also control it remotely something the haswell units can't do. Both have USB3 but the current gen only has one port in the front. Performance won't be very different except for maybe GPU where haswell will get a nice boost. As far as power usage it's 15W vs 35W I believe? In any case not going to make a big impact on your electric bill.

Quote:I plan on running Openelec as most people seem to have a great experience with it and can run Windows 7/8 if need be instead. I also plan on plugging it into an Marantz NR1603 receiver to use my 5.1 setup and this is the main reason I got those things, so that I'd get a NUC to utilise them.

OpenELEC is a nice appliance like distribution for small and embedded systems. I used it a lot before, creating addons and making custom builds for my Xtreamer, but it's really a very limited distribution only meant for running XBMC on weak machines. It's extendability is limited in that the root filesystem is read-only and addons can only be installed on the storage partition through XBMC's addon service. Addons are of poor quality and scattered around the forum. The great thing about the NUC is you can run a fully fledged distribution. If you have any kind of Linux experience I recommend going for something like Arch. It has bleeding edge software (X/Mesa/Intel drivers/kernel) and is very light weight in that you only install what you need. Customizing OpenELEC is a PITA and really quite unnecessary when you have something as powerful as the NUC. With something like Arch, you can install any kind of emulator you want and easily create your own xinit and customize xbmc to handle it all. Bluetooth software etc can also be more easily handled.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - solomon23 - 2013-07-16

Hey There,

People in the beginning of the thread were saying they were able to get Dark Knight ( vc1 truehd ) to work without frame drops on their i3 intel nuc.

I've just built two of them, one with Windows8 and one with Windows7. Neither can play Dark Knight without lots of stuttering and frame drops. I tried with both dxva enabled and disabled without much difference. The cpu is pretty high but never maxes out. I'm bitstreaming the truehd audio track out to my amp.

Anyone else able to play Dark Knight inside of xbmc on windows without issue ?

Thanks,

Solomon

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - johanp - 2013-07-16

Hi all,

About to pull the trigger on the i3 version. One thing I'm very worried about after reading this thread though is noise. My plan is to get a 64 GB SSD, 2 sticks of 4GB RAM and the Intel 6235 WiFi card. Very intent on running WiFi. I will run XBMCBuntu or some other full fledged Linux distro.

My impression from reading this thread is that fan noise is typically not an issue when watching movies, but perhaps when using heavy skins? A bit unclear here, but quite a few people have complained about heavy noise (and I am very sensitive in this area). I don't think I will be running Aeon Nox, but will need something more customizable than Confluence. However, what about YouTube and other streaming services? As I understand YouTube is using flash and flash is not hardware accelarated currently on Linux, right? So will this tax the CPU so much that the fan kicks in?

Down the line I will probably get one of those passive chassis, but a bit budget constrained right now, and also I want to wait til the market matures. Also, I am worried about how it will affect the WiFi.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - furii - 2013-07-17

(2013-07-16, 09:30)dazm46 Wrote: well having read all this thread im looking at the 1.1 celeron version but can't help wondering what do these nuc have over a med8er 600 which can do frame packed 3d ,and i don't have to had memory /flash pen or msata .the med8er 600 is only £120 / nuc with memory is gonna be about £150.some of you wise people might know thanks .

the nuc is a full fledged computer while the mede8er is only a media streamer. the xbmc experience is miles and miles better than the jukeboxes on stand alone media streamers.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - LeJon - 2013-07-17

(2013-07-16, 22:36)johanp Wrote: Hi all,

About to pull the trigger on the i3 version. One thing I'm very worried about after reading this thread though is noise. My plan is to get a 64 GB SSD, 2 sticks of 4GB RAM and the Intel 6235 WiFi card. Very intent on running WiFi. I will run XBMCBuntu or some other full fledged Linux distro.

My impression from reading this thread is that fan noise is typically not an issue when watching movies, but perhaps when using heavy skins? A bit unclear here, but quite a few people have complained about heavy noise (and I am very sensitive in this area). I don't think I will be running Aeon Nox, but will need something more customizable than Confluence. However, what about YouTube and other streaming services? As I understand YouTube is using flash and flash is not hardware accelarated currently on Linux, right? So will this tax the CPU so much that the fan kicks in?

Down the line I will probably get one of those passive chassis, but a bit budget constrained right now, and also I want to wait til the market matures. Also, I am worried about how it will affect the WiFi.

There is a Fanless Aluminium version which will release at the same time as the upcoming i3 Haswell if you can wait.

Anyone going to get the fanless case when it's out or will it be too hot without fan?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - ridinkidonk - 2013-07-17

(2013-07-16, 09:41)arokh Wrote:

The i5 is just hitting the market, so I wouldn't expect the haswell units to be ready at the same time.

The haswell units will have integrated IR, but the current i5 has vPro capability which means you can turn on/off through the network and also control it remotely something the haswell units can't do. Both have USB3 but the current gen only has one port in the front. Performance won't be very different except for maybe GPU where haswell will get a nice boost. As far as power usage it's 15W vs 35W I believe? In any case not going to make a big impact on your electric bill.

Quote:I plan on running Openelec as most people seem to have a great experience with it and can run Windows 7/8 if need be instead. I also plan on plugging it into an Marantz NR1603 receiver to use my 5.1 setup and this is the main reason I got those things, so that I'd get a NUC to utilise them.

OpenELEC is a nice appliance like distribution for small and embedded systems. I used it a lot before, creating addons and making custom builds for my Xtreamer, but it's really a very limited distribution only meant for running XBMC on weak machines. It's extendability is limited in that the root filesystem is read-only and addons can only be installed on the storage partition through XBMC's addon service. Addons are of poor quality and scattered around the forum. The great thing about the NUC is you can run a fully fledged distribution. If you have any kind of Linux experience I recommend going for something like Arch. It has bleeding edge software (X/Mesa/Intel drivers/kernel) and is very light weight in that you only install what you need. Customizing OpenELEC is a PITA and really quite unnecessary when you have something as powerful as the NUC. With something like Arch, you can install any kind of emulator you want and easily create your own xinit and customize xbmc to handle it all. Bluetooth software etc can also be more easily handled.

I am fairly savvy with Linux after using a few distros before in my time; wouldn't something like XBMCbuntu be just as good as setting up Arch with an XBMC set up on it or do you believe that it's fairly hassle-free once it is all set up on Arch? I've been reading a few guides on how to set up both, but do you have any source with a guide that you might use yourself for this?

I was also curious about the fanless aluminium case and wondered if it was worth waiting for this, as well.

My local computer store says that they are expecting the Haswell NUCs at the beginning of August so it's not that far off, considering.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - arokh - 2013-07-17

If you don't mind spending some time on installation I believe Arch is definitely the better choice. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu/XBMCBuntu is a great distribution with mature packages, but on a HTPC I'd say Arch has the advantage. It is a rolling distribution, which means you can keep updating it without ever needing to reinstall or dist upgrade. You can quickly get the 3.11 kernel, Mesa 9.2 from git, xf86-video-intel from git etc. Rebuilding XBMC from the source package and adding patches in the process is also very easy. The wiki and forum community is very helpful as well if you ever need help. Expect to spend some time getting it the way you like though. In it's simplest form, 'pacman -S xbmc && systemctl enable xbmc && systemctl start xbmc' is enough to get you up and running with XBMC running as a service.

Anyway, got the i5 NUC for a day now and I'm very impressed. First off I can't believe how tiny this thing is, really amazing! It does get hot quickly though and I could hear the fan on mine revving up and down (it's a hot summer here right now). Updated the BIOS to latest version and disabled hyperthreading (probably what did the trick) made it silent again though, I can't hear it during XBMC idle or playback.

The blacks weren't black at all until I did a xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" which made the blacks really black and the picture crisp and nice. I'm UEFI booting directly into Arch which makes the boot process extremely fast. I think the POST is like 2 seconds with quick boot turned on, Arch starts booting before my TV can display the picture.

I didn't create any custom modelines, but 24p playback is smooth as butter and XBMC is saying 0 dropped frames (actually 1, but it's when the movie starts and it doesn't increase). Tested bitstreaming with TrueHD and DTS-HD no problem. XBMC is extremely responsive with any skin. This thing is not cheap but man it's a cool toy Smile I'll probably sell mine to get the haswell when it's out though lol. I'll post some more info later have to work a little before I can play with it again Wink

BTW, latest Arch install media here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166552 (works with UEFI boot on the NUC)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - scarecrow420 - 2013-07-17

This is more general xbmc suggestion rather than NUC specific, but if you are bitstreaming audio over hdmi, make sure your audio setting in xbmc is using wasapi rather than durectsound. This fixed stuttering for me (Intel sandy bridge pentium, probably similar to i3 NUC)
(2013-07-16, 17:52)solomon23 Wrote: Hey There,

People in the beginning of the thread were saying they were able to get Dark Knight ( vc1 truehd ) to work without frame drops on their i3 intel nuc.

I've just built two of them, one with Windows8 and one with Windows7. Neither can play Dark Knight without lots of stuttering and frame drops. I tried with both dxva enabled and disabled without much difference. The cpu is pretty high but never maxes out. I'm bitstreaming the truehd audio track out to my amp.

Anyone else able to play Dark Knight inside of xbmc on windows without issue ?

Thanks,

Solomon