Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2012-10-11

Could you please check /home/xbmc/xbmc_installation.log for errors?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - regman - 2012-10-11

Cant seem to find any in that file..I actually ran the script using a different user than "xmbc". here's all thats in the log:

Locale environment bug fixed
Allowed XBMC to prioritize threads
XBMC user added to required groups
Adding Wsnipex xbmc-xvba PPA...
ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba repository successfully added
Updating Ubuntu with latest packages (may take a while)...
Ubuntu installation updated
Installing NVIDIA video drivers (may take a while)...
Skipping installation of nvidia-current. Already installed.
Installing xinit...
Skipping installation of xinit. Already installed.
Installing XBMC...
Skipping installation of xbmc. Already installed.
Installing XBMC autorun support...
XBMC autorun succesfully configured
Installing XBMC boot screen (please be patient)...
Skipping installation of plymouth-label. Already installed.
Skipping installation of v86d. Already installed.
XBMC boot screen successfully activated
Configuring X-server...
X-server successfully configured
Installing power management packages...
Skipping installation of policykit-1. Already installed.
Skipping installation of upower. Already installed.
Skipping installation of udisks. Already installed.
Skipping installation of acpi-support. Already installed.
Installing audio packages....\n!! Please make sure no used channels are muted !!
Skipping installation of linux-sound-base. Already installed.
Skipping installation of alsa-base. Already installed.
Skipping installation of alsa-utils. Already installed.
Skipping installation of libasound2. Already installed.
Lirc successfully installed
Enabling XBMC dirty region rendering...
XBMC dirty region rendering enabled
Installing Addon Repositories Installer addon...
Addon Repositories Installer addon successfully installed
Cleaning up...
Reboot system...

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-10-11

@regman

I would bet that the Ubuntu installation that didn't go according to plan, I remember I had to reinstall the mini.iso sometimes twice going back as far as 3 years of mini.iso installs along with scripts. this doesn't mean it was the case, but it is possible.

Usually Ubuntu login prompt (at terminal I presume) means video drivers were not properly installed.

You could try
Code:
aptitude reinstall nvidia-current
I dont know if installing nvidia-settings is still needed, if it is add
Code:
nvidia-settings
to the aptitude reinstall line

after a reboot you should be greeted with xbmc, presuming everything else was installed properly.

Things I do, is always run as root for installing any xbmc or running scripts. Hope this helps Wink

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - regman - 2012-10-12

@uNiversal

Well, that didn't quite work still getting just login prompt at startup. I re-ran the v2.4.1 script this time (w/ sudo in front) and response was different. I noticed the gui menu this time and I made it all the way to the end. I saw the xbmc splash screen on boot, but then just a login prompt.

I'm going to re-install the 12.10 mini again and start from scratch with sudo in front. Don't remember doing that the first time. I have a second HD in this box to use as test environment.

Code:
sudo bash prepare_install_2_4_1.sh

..Appreciate the help.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2012-10-12

You don't need to run the script with sudo. The one thing you're doing I haven't tested is use another username then xbmc.

Be patient while the script runs. Some parts will take quite a while to complete!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Hack_kid - 2012-10-12

yeah its from using a different username (which now that i think about it, the fact that we all use xbmc as a username and xbmc as a pass is kind of a security threat isnt it? i mean its not like they will get any info besudes some tv thumbnails but still)
it bet you its the order in which the inits are ran when we used the basic init.d script it made the shourtcuts to the it in the different rc# folders named $20xbmc and the only other init i had lower then that was $19lirc so it was the 2nd init script loaded. i dont know how do do that with an upstart job because it doesnt do it based on filenames

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2012-10-12

Yes, I'm sure it's the different username now. The init.d script has a hardcoded username in it. Forgot about that! Sorry.

I'll try and figure out a way to change that this weekend. Then I'll also add the upstart method. I'll make it so that you can switch between the two xbmc startup methods by running the script again. That way anyone who's installed with this script can switch to the upstart method.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - regman - 2012-10-12

Ah, duly noted...I'm re-installing now using 'xbmc' as the user. Seems to be working although it's still on the "Installing XBMC boot screen.." for over an hour now. not sure if that's normal.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Hack_kid - 2012-10-12

lol no

Ok I finally got it. I killed the install and re-ran it. I got all the way through to the end and xmbc came up on boot (Yay!). Couldn't get the spdif coax audio to work. I found that it is coming through ok via hdmi ( I was going to move toward that method anyway).

Looks good!...thanks all for the feedback.

in regards to the upstart job instructions, what is this for?

sudo ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/xbmc

why do we need to make a shortcut to lib/init/upstart-job? it doesnt make sense upstart jobs are executed from the .conf files in the init folder nothing more. and those conf files tell the system what to do which in this case is run runXBMC which resides in uxr/bin/runXBMC just a little cunfused here

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-10-12

(2012-10-12, 07:12)regman Wrote: Ok I finally got it. I killed the install and re-ran it. I got all the way through to the end and xmbc came up on boot (Yay!). Couldn't get the spdif coax audio to work. I found that it is coming through ok via hdmi ( I was going to move toward that method anyway).

Looks good!...thanks all for the feedback.

Didn't I say I remember having to reinstall the mini.iso 2 times at least? Using other scripts as well, I suffered that many times. I also run as root, that always seem to take care of anything. I also gave xbmc another password,

I think your right about upstart, I think this is something to look into though it will require someone more experienced, I think Wink

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - theenduser - 2012-10-12

(2012-10-08, 18:42)Bram77 Wrote: You'll need and internet connection during the installation. You'll be unable to configure your wireless connection during the installation and that's not possible. So wifi only is a no-go.
Unless you choose to install ubuntu server or ubuntu desktop (although I'm not sure that will work with the script) and configure wifi first, then run the script. But this kind of defeats the purpose of the script. Which is allows you to create a very minimalistic setup.

Thanks a lot, Bram! I'll see if I can figure out how to configure wireless after the install.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-10-12

@theenduser

wicd can help you with that, but it will probably will require installation.

Code:
sudo apt-get install wicd-curses -y

There exists a HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations that still applies since this is very much like xbmc-live (no window manager)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - theenduser - 2012-10-12

(2012-10-12, 12:23)uNiversal Wrote: @theenduser

wicd can help you with that, but it will probably will require installation.

Code:
sudo apt-get install wicd-curses-y

There exists a HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations that still applies since this is very much like xbmc-live (no window manager)

Cheers! I have something to do this weekend. Blush