Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2012-10-31

@Bram77

I am wondering if as feature-creep pulls this script in several directions at once perhaps it'd be prudent to split it into two?

CORE - does what it says, installs XBMC with dependencies + GPU specific drivers & settings for the target Ubuntu minimal OS.
OPTIONAL - could handle the various corner cases + add-ons like splash screen, sickbeard, SAMBA & NFS server, extra visualizations, etc. Could be run AFTER your base XBMC system is purring like a kitten.

Issue I see is that we can all collaborate and get things working in one giant script, however, maintaining it over the long-run is going to be a nightmare. There's countless 'script installer' threads on the forum here and many of them get abandoned over time due to the fact that it gets too difficult to maintain them.

Just a thought.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2012-10-31

Que?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - roach9 - 2012-11-01

Well.

Getting lockups with OpenELEC and I'm going to run Transparency instead of MQ4... so I'm back on board! Big Grin

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - roach9 - 2012-11-01

Hey Bram,
What version of XBMC is installed using your script?

Also, how do we upgrade our XBMCs after all things are done with the script? I've never done so before, so maybe this is an uber-noob question... but this thread seems filled with smart fellers. Big Grin

do you suggest enabling "automatic updates" every 4 hours?

So my remote (just a standard, MCE remote with a standard HP IR) works... as in, the arrow buttons work. But that's it. The "OK" button. Info button.

Everything that worked in Eden, doesn't work in this build. Can someone help me out? :S
Basically, if I can get functionality back in my remote. I'll be one extremely happy camper.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2012-11-01

@roach9

A lot of folks on this thread are using Ubuntu 12.10, however, I lean towards the LTS releases such as 12.04 - it has support until April, 2017. 12.10 support ends April 2014.

All the LTS releases now get 5 years of support and are rolled out every 2 years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I can't recommend automatic updates for this type of install...whole point is to treat it as an appliance and give it as little user intervention as possible. Auto updates will likely cause the odd hiccup as the kernel and other parts get updated.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC and perfect 23p and 24p playback - tech242 - 2012-11-01

First of all, thanks for this. Install worked pretty smooth on Asrock HT330, just had to unmute sound and get lirc to use the module for my remote.

However, I'm trying to implement this:

(2012-10-23, 00:36)uNiversal Wrote: Here's a quick and dirty HOW-TO quick fix for 24p and 23.976p playback on the ION1 with NVidia 304.60 drivers

My problem (or more like a question I guess) is regarding the first step:
Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

I don't seem to have a xorg.conf at that location, this is what I have:
Code:
xbmc@xbmclive:~$ locate xorg.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-evdev-quirks.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-evdev-trackpoint.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-vmmouse.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.d.5.gz

Which xorg.conf is being used? Can I just download the one in uNiversals post and that will be used?

Appreciate any help!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2012-11-01

If you don't have, just create it Smile It's not a required file. Your machine will run perfectly without it.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - tech242 - 2012-11-01

(2012-11-01, 12:34)Bram77 Wrote: If you don't have, just create it Smile It's not a required file. Your machine will run perfectly without it.

Thanks, created it myself, and although xbmc-xrandr output isn't quite as pimped as uNiversals it contains more framerates than before. Smile

But are you saying this "fix" isn't really needed?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-11-01

on nvidia it is needed for perfect playback of 23,976 hz material. That is, if your TV supports it.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - fritsch - 2012-11-01

@tech242:
It is needed. To achieve perfect playback, it is important that the video fps matches the TV fps. Even factors as 2.0 or 4.0 are fine, meaning 25fps content playsfine on 50hz.

But if you video source is 23.976 fps the nvidias mostly have a problem. They don't get the 23.976 mode, but rather a 23.97091. So you would see a jitter from time to time. Other nvidia setups are missing the 24.0hz mode or cannot have both 23.976 + 24.0 hz.

It seems to be possible with 304 nvidia, as I tested it with the OP.

For example playing 24p content on 60hz is not good at all (60 % 24 != 0).

If your monitor has 24.0 and 23.976 (sometimes 23.97608) i suggest you enabled:
Video -> Playback: Adjust RefreshRate to Match Video
This will change the refreshrate of your TV, when video is tarted. With newer frodo versions, you can also select "On Start / On Stop", this way it keeps the new refreshrate till you press stop. Good way to scroll through xbmc while watching the movie without refreshrate disturbance.

As some Video drivers have trouble on keeping straight clock (number of swapBuffers), you should also enable Sync Playback to display, with Method Video Clock. If you have passthrough audio, use Video Clock (Drop / Dup) if you only have Analog audio, choose Video Clock (Resample Audio).

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-11-01

my newest testing package now has vaapi support(for intel GFX), if anyone is interested in trying, please report back with results
https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba-testing

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-01

(2012-11-01, 13:22)tech242 Wrote:
(2012-11-01, 12:34)Bram77 Wrote: If you don't have, just create it Smile It's not a required file. Your machine will run perfectly without it.

Thanks, created it myself, and although xbmc-xrandr output isn't quite as pimped as uNiversals it contains more framerates than before. Smile

But are you saying this "fix" isn't really needed?

Its not required but it improves playback accuracy a million %, personally I wouldn't even dream of not having one it is very noticeable without, nvidia wise.

I've improved the xorg.conf on my how-to post and can be tweaked further to your very system+tv specific setup, if your interested I wouldn't mind giving it a go, though I will require some information in your /var/log/xorg.0.log, if so pastebin the contents and I can tweak a xorg.conf to suit.

@wsnipex

I would test but dont have intel gpus or amd.

btw do you have fernetmentas vdpau patches I can apply to my xbmc master git branch so I can compile it in? I want to use up-to-date compiles and vdpau fixes but wanna do it myself (compiling that is) and cant find the patches anywhere.

TIA

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - fritsch - 2012-11-01

@uNi:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc.git
git checkout master
./boostrap
./configure --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-debug --disable-vaapi

This is also what wsnipex does, if you want to patch mainline yourself, rebase it - there are no patches.

All this is done in wsnipex ppa. It brings you latest AMD, nvidia patches on latest +-2 days master.