Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - leighdog - 2012-11-08

Ok I see will try that a little later on and post back here on how it gose thanks for the help!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - leighdog - 2012-11-08

Ok so I re-installed and followed the guide to the letter just to make sure I had done it right. Loged in from putty even though I still had a blank screen and comand pormt and all is good. The script is still running so I well post if I need help that I can't find on my own and thanks for the help. Like I said it had been a bit since I used linux but I do remember as I go.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2012-11-08

UEFI is what is replacing traditional BIOS. We'll see more and more of it and you honestly may not even notice the difference.

It's basically a layer on top of the hardware that let's you do some basic interaction without any OS installed. My new Supermicro server mobo has this. You can boot to EFI shell for instance and run some basic commands all without any drives attached, etc.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - illiac4 - 2012-11-08

I have found a problem that if I insert SD card into reader, it mounts the card automatically. So auto-mount is working. But if I remove it, it is still seen as mounted, even it is not present in the card reader.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-08

@illiac4

I haven't seen anything like that, perhaps use the pumount /dev/sdx command (where x is your drive). What xbmc does which I think its a bug, is when you bring up context and click remove device safely it remounts it ejects and remounts the device very very fast not giving you enough time to unplug it.

uNi

I got this to work last night the problem was I was not getting the comand promt on my htpc but if I loged in with putty all was good . The reason I had asked about uefi was on my many pc I installed xubuntu and in the partioner if I did not make an efi partion my system would not boot.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-08

Some Ubuntu dont speak UEFI very well IIRC when it comes to installing.

Glad your sorted!

See you were freaking out, for nothing Big Grin

uNi

So much changes when it comes to computers and if you don't one for over a year its hard to katch up. I must say I am loving the Zbox nano AD10 for $250. with 4gig of ram and a 120gig ssd you can't go wrong. I just need to my remote working and I'm good to go.

@leighdog

I think you can get your remote working with FernetMenta lirc git build, though idk anything about that. (remember reading it in passage somewhere) https://github.com/FernetMenta/lirc there's a topic http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid=1162214 and he posts some instructions, though you would have to do some research yourself.

I cant be sure and honestly cant help you with that.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - leighdog - 2012-11-09

Thanks for that I was going to copy the config and xml files over from openelec to see if that works. As the remote work with it out of the box.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-09

@ leighdog

I have no idea what will work for you, I guess you can try it anyway you like.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - roach9 - 2012-11-09

Bram, do you think you could explain what some of the options near the end of the installation script mean?

Also, what is the upgrade process, for when new XBMC releases are out? Is it simple?
I think I've asked this before... can't remember.

I still am inclined to switch from OpenELEC to this, because I want updated Sandy Bridge drivers... having very few issues with OpenELECs nightly build drives (mesa 3 / 9, I think).

Let me know!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - roach9 - 2012-11-09

OH. I remember why I stopped using t his build. It's because it didn't support my MCE remote out of the box. Is there anything I can add-on or run that will simply make my remote work just like it does with OpenELEC builds?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-09

On the script choose to install Lirc > first screen choose > Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all) > second screen none >. and your done remote should work.

Though about your questions about what script options mean, you have to be explicit.

Leave the auto upgrade out, not a good idea for you. :/

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - mongie - 2012-11-10

(2012-10-25, 11:36)Flynsarmy Wrote: I also got a black screen on boot until I removed nomodeset from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line at the bottom of /etc/default/grub like so:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=uvesafb:mode_option=1920x1080-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"

I'm having the same problem.

Running a Intel G860 cpu with built in "Intel HD Graphics".

I get the same error message at the reboot prompt at the end as well.

When it does reboot, I get the splash screen, and then a black screen.

Any suggestions?