Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2012-11-17

If you run a 'apt-cache show xbmc' right after update cmd it should tell you what all it'll install.

I'm outta house now and will be busy drinking later so haven't had time to test.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-17

Ive added the upgrade steps I posted and improved a bit to various xbmcbuntu and Linux wiki parts... SO now people dont have to search a lot...

@roach9 try it yourself, its basically what I said before, its just condensed.

I would add:
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Like I said this is on the wiki along with other valuable info.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - roach9 - 2012-11-17

Worked perfectly.

you guys are awesome! Big Grin

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2012-11-17

Glad we both could help.

One other helpful reminder...when hurrying to rebuild a new system on a Fri night don't forget to set the damn username to xbmc - garr!! Tongue Oh well, only 1/2 hour wasted.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - illiac4 - 2012-11-17

(2012-11-17, 03:18)uNiversal Wrote: Ive added the upgrade steps I posted and improved a bit to various xbmcbuntu and Linux wiki parts... SO now people dont have to search a lot...

@roach9 try it yourself, its basically what I said before, its just condensed.

I would add:
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Like I said this is on the wiki along with other valuable info.

uNi

Is the build from wsnipex/xbmc-xvba different from team-xbmc if we heave ATI cards. Will we loose something depending on ATI acceleration or. are the xvba drivers merged?

The above will move to the PPA and XBMC build to the 'stock' Frodo Beta 1.

I don't believe it contains those optimizations, but ask around and check the Frodo build logs to be sure.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - roach9 - 2012-11-17

To update next time, would I have to go through the same steps? You guys are so helpful. Hopefully some of these steps are new to others as well and I'm not the only one getting helped hugely here...

When Frodo moves to the mainline / stable branch you'll move to ppa:team-xbmc.

ie. If all you want is Eden right now you'd use ppa:team-xbmc ... that is the current stable branch which will eventually transition to Frodo once it's released / moves out of Beta.

It's outlined by Uni ... https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc

I think I'm starting to understand all this.

Thanks a ton, man. Really appreciate it.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-17

@ roach

I doubt ppl that want to "simply" upgrade are reading all these offtopic posts on how to upgrade, to be hugely helped. This is why I added said info to wiki.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - puntloos - 2012-11-18

(2012-10-23, 07:24)fritsch Wrote: @uNiversal:
This xorg.conf is supposed to work with nvidia 30X.X - for at least 295 you need a different one (please add this info). Glad it works now for you.

Btw, thanks to lots of help from fritsch I managed to get my system working too.

My problem was that the custom edid did not support audio, so I had to build my own edid

smooth sailing now.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - denist - 2012-11-18

Ok I tried the script on a diff mother board and it see both hdd

Then retried it on the intel dh77eb and it sees only one in xbmc I gues it's something to do with drivers in 12.10 Ubuntu install

I'm going to just use fatal and mount it manually

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - denist - 2012-11-18

i mean fstab

its weird as when i install ubuntu its see all the dirves.. but when xbmc boots it sees only one of the hard disks.....

also sometimes i get the login text why is that.......when it boots up it took 3 - 4 gos to get xbmc to boot.

why does it do this....

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-11-18

(2012-11-17, 06:47)illiac4 Wrote: Is the build from wsnipex/xbmc-xvba different from team-xbmc if we heave ATI cards. Will we loose something depending on ATI acceleration or. are the xvba drivers merged?

it is different:
- Mainline does not have Xvba
- Mainline does not have improved vdpau
- Mainline still uses SDL for windowing
overall: some 10k lines of code