Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - deon - 2012-11-28

Hi,

Just an update on my problem:

I can still only boot to the XBMC splash screen with the progress dots. Thereafter it becomes completely unresponsive. Cannot even SSH in.

If I stop the boot process by repeatedly pressing CTRL+ALT+F2, then I see the console and I can navigate around.

Is there any log that I can paste that someone can make sense of? I cannot spot anything, but then again, I don't even know what I should be looking for.

Thanks,
Deon

RE: HOW-TO: Install a dedicated XBMC nightly HTPC with Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Burke - 2012-11-28

Hi all,

I would like to give this a try, just a few simple qustions:

1. I have Zotac "H55-ITX WiFi" MBO with Intel "550" CPU and use integrated "HD2000", as far as I can tell this should work fine with these. Is that correct?

2. Main reason I wont to move from XBMCbuntu is that both kbdrate and Xset commands do not work. I guess they work fine with this setup. Is that correct?

3. Updating XBMC to Frodo (stable whein it is out) will not be a difficult task for someone like me (Linux noob)?

Thanks Smile

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2012-11-28

yes to all

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Burke - 2012-11-28

(2012-11-28, 10:59)wsnipex Wrote: yes to all

That is superb. Smile

Will install this weekend and report back.

Thanks for replay and thanks to Bram77 and all of you who helped with this Smile

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Burke - 2012-11-28

Sorry if this is OT question.

I would naturally want my system to be as fast as possible.

My question is this, how much swap would i need with this install?

Info: I have 8 GB of RAM and use S3 suspend.

Thanks

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-28

Swap is only used when system runs out of ram (isn't it?), You can safely use default swap or even none. (I leave default - hdd is big enough and 2gb ram is MORE than enough for XBMC. Linux suspend shouldn't take all that either. Look on the intrawebs for proper info about suspend.

Use the xinit upstart script.

The script installs same plymouth fixes that should only be installed for nVidia like e.g. video=uvesafb:mode_option=1366x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap in your /etc/default/grub Im not sure if this is ok for AMD or Intel.
Bad idea to add stuff that isnt platform specific to general install. only bram77 can fix that and he is probably too busy.

uNi

uNi thanks for replay,

I tried goggling but then got results like: amount of ram +1 GB.
Swap of 9 Gigs just sounded to much,especially when I know how little ram is used by XBMC and XBMCbuntu, which I assumed
is more less like minimal.

Thanks again.

Burke

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-11-28

At partitioning just select (use separate /home partition) and let the parttioning create 3 partitions automatically for you including the swap amount.

/
swap
/home

Thats what I did and works well for HTPC specially since /home can be written to create extra folders without the risk of you accidentally pissing about with system files on /home.

But thats a preference, after quite a few years of Linux using.

Memory managers are not as bad as they used to be, the rule of using 2 x amount of swap as you have ram is stupid anyway. At best you can do 1:1 and it will work.

uNi

uNi thanks again for explaining things,

Will follow your advice.

As I said I have 8 gigs of RAM (that was for win7 x64) so
it sounded just to much.

Thanks again will report back this weekend I hope

Burke

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Pikeman - 2012-11-28

Hi,

I've tested this script an it works absolutely perfect!
Also my ATRIC IR Receiver works great after install.

Really GREAT JOB!!

But how I can change to XBMC EDEN?
Can the script be modified?

FRODO and the beta status is not really the XBMC version I was looking for Wink

Also I cannot download my favourite skin AEON. Only one skin is supported.

So is there a way get back to EDEN?

Greetz

Pikeman

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - rip_king - 2012-12-01

will be building my HTPC in the next few weeks and I'm trying to decide between installing this or going with OpenELEC. I'm going to be using the machine primarily for streaming HD video but the idea of using emulators for old NES and SNES games is really appealing. I'm assuming that is doable with this version of XBMC because it runs off of Ubuntu? OpenELEC does not seem to outwardly suppport emulators as much.

I have no previous linux experience, but consider myself somewhat savvy and don't mind the occasional tinkering (but I'm no programmer). Is this install easy for somebody like me, and also usable in a "set it and forget it" way?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - squareatom - 2012-12-02

(2012-12-01, 02:26)rip_king Wrote: will be building my HTPC in the next few weeks and I'm trying to decide between installing this or going with OpenELEC. I'm going to be using the machine primarily for streaming HD video but the idea of using emulators for old NES and SNES games is really appealing. I'm assuming that is doable with this version of XBMC because it runs off of Ubuntu? OpenELEC does not seem to outwardly suppport emulators as much.

I have no previous linux experience, but consider myself somewhat savvy and don't mind the occasional tinkering (but I'm no programmer). Is this install easy for somebody like me, and also usable in a "set it and forget it" way?

"..OpenELEC is designed to be managed as an appliance - it can automatically update itself, is managed almost entirely from within XBMC and boots in seconds. You never need to see a management console or have Linux knowledge to use it.'

What you get from this thread is a minimal Ubuntu build that runs XBMC. So anything that is made for Ubuntu is easy to install and run. But of course you need to login via SSH and run commands to do that. It all depends on your goals. Personally, my HTPC is a multipurpose box. It runs XBMC, CouchPotato, SABnzbd, and Sickbeard. I choose to install these apps via Ubuntu so I have the latest versions. I believe their are builds that you can install from within XBMC but that's not my cup of tea.

All I can say is try OpenELEC and see if it suits your needs. I think you just need to put the files on a flash drive and boot it. Running XBMC from what's described in this thread is more involved and will take more time to install.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - supahfly - 2012-12-02

(2012-11-28, 22:14)Pikeman Wrote: Hi,

I've tested this script an it works absolutely perfect!
Also my ATRIC IR Receiver works great after install.

Really GREAT JOB!!

But how I can change to XBMC EDEN?
Can the script be modified?

FRODO and the beta status is not really the XBMC version I was looking for Wink

Also I cannot download my favourite skin AEON. Only one skin is supported.

So is there a way get back to EDEN?

Greetz

Pikeman

That is also something I wanted to have configurable, to be able to choose between the stable EDEN or go to the FRODO ...
I assume if you remove the ppa from the script, that you will download the stable EDEN release. Did not test this though ...

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2012-12-02

You need to remove a ppa in use and replace with another.

like so.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Ubuntu_manual_XBMC_upgrade_process

This is also something you can change in the script before you run it in first place.

line 40 https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/blob/master/12.10/prepare_install_2_6.sh

Code:
XBMC_PPA="ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba"

change that to whatever ppa you want.

Done.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - supahfly - 2012-12-03

Is it safe to say, that if you remove the ppa altogether, the stable EDEN will be installed?
Since when you remove all ppa's from the system and you run : apt-get install xbmc, EDEN will be installed ...