Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - sion28 - 2013-01-14

Has anyone tried running Bram77's script on a different Ubuntu installation? So long as the xbmc user is in place and logged in, it should still run, yes?

I know... "try it and see" and I will. Just thought I'd ask if it's known not to work well with other Ubuntu flavors.
(I'm thinking of trying out Mythbuntu).

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Haohmaru - 2013-01-14

I've just installed 12.10 minimal and then the script and after starting XBMC everything seems fine but if I play a HD video I got high 50~70 % cpu usage as if VDPAU wouldn't working. What's wrong ? This was never a problem before Frodo.

edit: After a restart it seems to working fine even on 1080p.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - tudstudent - 2013-01-14

If I am correct you need to check the version of udisk2 before applying the USB fix, since the fix is not needed anymore in the latest version:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks2/+bug/1048059

But if I am wrong please correct...

Re: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-01-14

Multiple things woul have to be altered in the script if you want to use it on any othrr ubuntu minimal version then 12.10

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - sion28 - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-14, 23:50)Bram77 Wrote: Multiple things woul have to be altered in the script if you want to use it on any othrr ubuntu minimal version then 12.10

What about a installing it on a non-minimal flavor of Ubuntu 12.10?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - cw-kid - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-15, 01:06)sion28 Wrote:
(2013-01-14, 23:50)Bram77 Wrote: Multiple things woul have to be altered in the script if you want to use it on any othrr ubuntu minimal version then 12.10

What about a installing it on a non-minimal flavor of Ubuntu 12.10?

I think I already tried installing the script on Ubuntu Server 12.10 but in the end I started again with minimal. What is the advantage of running server over minimal ?

Thanks

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-01-15

none unless you want all the server stuff installed, php server, smb server, and a ton of other server software that you probably dont need.

Script can run on anything from Ubuntu 10.04 upto 13.04 no problems with no changes that I see. As long as my last two bug fixes go in.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - ylafont - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-11, 18:12)ylafont Wrote: I installed network Manager yesterday to be able to configure my wireless via xbmc to find out that it disables my usb-cec on build. Has anyone experience this, and if so is there a solution?

Does anyone know is this can be fixed?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2013-01-15

Perhaps ditch the Network Manager and try to config wireless through the CLI. Try something easy like a phone wifi hotspot and a short key to start.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Code:
sudo nano -w /etc/network/interfaces

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid   MYNETWOTK
wireless-key     FEFEFEFEFE
wireless-channel 11
wireless-mode    managed

Your wifi config shouldn't change too often so this may be a reasonable workaround.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - ylafont - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-15, 05:05)thethirdnut Wrote: Perhaps ditch the Network Manager and try to config wireless through the CLI. Try something easy like a phone wifi hotspot and a short key to start.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Code:
sudo nano -w /etc/network/interfaces

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid   MYNETWOTK
wireless-key     FEFEFEFEFE
wireless-channel 11
wireless-mode    managed

Your wifi config shouldn't change too often so this may be a reasonable workaround.

already done, But I can't expect someone else to change these settings when the box is moved. Which happens more often than what I would think since the box is so small.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2013-01-15

OK - so is this portable HTPC or a laptop...either it moves around a lot?

Only used for XBMC?

(2013-01-15, 05:27)thethirdnut Wrote: OK - so is this portable HTPC or a laptop...either it moves around a lot?

Only used for XBMC?

Yeap, Intel NUC, just for XBMC.

Quote:But I can't expect someone else to change these settings when the box is moved.

You could perhaps make a drinking game out of everytime someone makes an editing error in vi - no!? ;-)

(2013-01-15, 05:42)thethirdnut Wrote:
Quote:But I can't expect someone else to change these settings when the box is moved.

You could perhaps make a drinking game out of everytime someone makes an editing error in vi - no!? ;-)

I would be drunk have the week 8-).

Upstart XBMC issue with Quit - vosip - 2013-01-15

Hello. I tried to use the following script for upstart to autostart XBMC:

Quote:
Code:
# xbmc-upstart
# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC-barebones-upstart-script"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn

script
  exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER
end script

Almost all is ok. XBMC is autostarted. All power menu items in XBMC also works properly (Restart, Shutdown, etc). But only one menu item is not working - Quit. When I choose Quit menu item XBMC quited and then restart. How to fix it. I suppose when I choose Quit XBMC should exit to CLI. But may be better to simply delete Quit menu item from Power menu in XBMC. Because I installed XBMC in my media center and its main feature is to run XBMC. If so then how to delete Quit menu item from Power menu in XBMC?

Thanks