Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - davey486 - 2013-01-28

I installed everything just the way it was laid out in your tutorial, but the script terminates stating,

Installation aborted...
Only NVIDIA ATI/AMD or INTEL videocards are supported. Please install a compatible videocard and run the script again.

You have a NVIDIA
NVIDIA videocard.

I have an NVIDIA 8400gs 512mb, I'm not sure. but I think this meets the requirements for XBMC to run properly. I don't know how scripts work, is there a list of model numbers that it checks through to know if it is supported or not? Maybe you can add 8400gs to it.

Thanks,
Dave

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - sosaudio1 - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-28, 17:38)davey486 Wrote: I installed everything just the way it was laid out in your tutorial, but the script terminates stating,

Installation aborted...
Only NVIDIA ATI/AMD or INTEL videocards are supported. Please install a compatible videocard and run the script again.

You have a NVIDIA
NVIDIA videocard.

I have an NVIDIA 8400gs 512mb, I'm not sure. but I think this meets the requirements for XBMC to run properly. I don't know how scripts work, is there a list of model numbers that it checks through to know if it is supported or not? Maybe you can add 8400gs to it.

Thanks,
Dave

I am running on an nVIDIA 8400gs with 512 on it and yes it works. If you can get to the latest nVIDIA drivers it will work. NVIDIA current. That is what mine is running

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-01-28

Somehow your system tells the script that you have a:

Code:
NVIDIA
NVIDIA

..card. While the script expects a:

Code:
NVIDIA

...card.

You can work around this by changing this (line 466 / 482):

Code:
if [[ $GFX_CARD == NVIDIA ]]; then
        VIDEO_DRIVER="nvidia-current"
    elif [[ $GFX_CARD == ATI ]] || [[ $GFX_CARD == AMD ]] || [[ $GFX_CARD == ADVANCED ]]; then
        VIDEO_DRIVER="fglrx"
    elif [[ $GFX_CARD == INTEL ]]; then
        VIDEO_DRIVER="i965-va-driver"
    else
        cleanUp
        clear
        echo ""
        echo "$(tput setaf 1)$(tput bold)Installation aborted...$(tput sgr0)"
        echo "$(tput setaf 1)Only NVIDIA, ATI/AMD or INTEL videocards are supported. Please install a compatible videocard and run the script again.$(tput sgr0)"
        echo ""
        echo "$(tput setaf 1)You have a $GFX_CARD videocard.$(tput sgr0)"
        echo ""
        exit
    fi

...into this:

Code:

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - davey486 - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-28, 18:15)Bram77 Wrote: Somehow your system tells the script that you have a:

Code:
NVIDIA
NVIDIA

..card. While the script expects a:

Code:
NVIDIA

...card.

You can work around this by changing this (line 466 / 482):

Code:
if [[ $GFX_CARD == NVIDIA ]]; then
    elif [[ $GFX_CARD == ATI ]] || [[ $GFX_CARD == AMD ]] || [[ $GFX_CARD == ADVANCED ]]; then
        VIDEO_DRIVER="fglrx"
    elif [[ $GFX_CARD == INTEL ]]; then
        VIDEO_DRIVER="i965-va-driver"
    else
        cleanUp
        clear
        echo ""
        echo "$(tput setaf 1)$(tput bold)Installation aborted...$(tput sgr0)"
        echo "$(tput setaf 1)Only NVIDIA, ATI/AMD or INTEL videocards are supported. Please install a compatible videocard and run the script again.$(tput sgr0)"
        echo ""
        echo "$(tput setaf 1)You have a $GFX_CARD videocard.$(tput sgr0)"
        echo ""
        exit
    fi

...into this:

Code:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I commented out all the lines suggested and I'm watching it install. It has gone far past where it did before.
But what's weird is there is a box that is titled, "Installing and configuring..." and the line in the box reads, "Installing NVIDIA NVIDIA drivers(may take a while)..."

It's a Sparkle card. Might the manufacturer of the card added that identifier for some reason? Just wondering.

Anyway, thanks alot for your efforts and assistance. I wasn't able to get XBMCbuntu or GeexBox to install on my ancient computer HP A320N, but this did.

[quote='Bram77' pid='1314553' dateline='1359389755']
Somehow your system tells the script that you have a:

When all finished the script asked if I want to reboot, and returned with some error:
[quote]sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory
All profile caches have been cleared, but no profiles have been unloaded. Unloading profiles will leave already running processes permanently unconfined, which can lead to unexpected situations. To set a process t0 complain mode, use the command line tool 'aa-complain'. To really tear down all profiles, run the init script with the 'teardown' option." [/quote]

I don't know what that means or how to "run the init script". I rebooted my computer and all seems well. What possible problems could whatever it was that caused that message to pop up be? And how serious of a treat would it be to my system? The only thing that might be a problem for me is resolution. The monitor I'm using is 1024x768 but my TV is different, how would I adjust when I set it up in my living room?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - odt_x - 2013-01-28

Hey, I have a brand new Gigabyte GA-C847N which is already set up as a gigabit router + wifi AP and has been stable for those tasks for couple of days now. Now on to the next task, to get XBMC running. Basic config worked out fine, but as lazy as I am I thought Ill use this script just to get autostart working - but this resulted in disaster, the board will competely lock up with a blank black screen and not respond to keyboard input nor network.

As this is quite hard to debug, any recommendations where to start or how to roll back the autostart on the xbmc user? I am aware the grub config was modified by the script but I didnt see any bootup xbmc image for that matter.

For now I have simply renamed the /home/xbmc to /home/broken and that seems to work as so far the machine doesnt lock up after boot.

EDIT: I have fixed /etc/default/grub to remove the new resolution, will wait until I can reboot the router to see if it works (kinda getting now why an all-in-one box sounds good on paper but its a PITA to set up with the family wanting to use internet and watch movies all the time).

Code:
log

root@server:/home/katki# cat xbmc_installation.log
2013-01-28 19:56 - INFO :: Locale environment bug fixed
2013-01-28 19:56 - INFO :: USB automount successfully fixed
2013-01-28 19:56 - INFO :: Allowed XBMC to prioritize threads
2013-01-28 19:56 - INFO :: XBMC user added to required groups
2013-01-28 19:56 - INFO :: Adding Wsnipex xbmc-xvba PPA...
2013-01-28 19:57 - INFO :: ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba repository successfully added
2013-01-28 19:57 - INFO :: Updating Ubuntu with latest packages (may take a while)...
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: Ubuntu installation updated
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: Installing INTEL video drivers (may take a while)...
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: i965-va-driver successfully installed
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: Installing xinit...
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: Skipping installation of xinit. Already installed.
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: Installing XBMC...
2013-01-28 19:59 - INFO :: Skipping installation of xbmc. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:00 - INFO :: Installing XBMC init.d autorun support...
2013-01-28 20:00 - INFO :: XBMC autorun succesfully configured
2013-01-28 20:00 - INFO :: Installing XBMC boot screen (please be patient)...
2013-01-28 20:01 - INFO :: XBMC boot screen successfully installed
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Applying bootscreen resolution (will take a minute or so)...
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Bootscreen resolution successfully applied
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Configuring X-server...
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: X-server successfully configured
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Installing power management packages...
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of policykit-1. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of upower. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of udisks. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of acpi-support. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Installing audio packages....\n!! Please make sure no used channels are muted !!
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of linux-sound-base. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of alsa-base. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of alsa-utils. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:02 - INFO :: Skipping installation of libasound2. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: Enabling XBMC dirty region rendering...
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: XBMC dirty region rendering enabled
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: Installing temperature monitoring package (apply all defaults)...
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: Skipping installation of lm-sensors. Already installed.
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: Temperature monitoring successfully configured
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: Installing Addon Repositories Installer addon...
2013-01-28 20:03 - INFO :: Addon Repositories Installer addon successfully installed
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Lirc successfully installed
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Allowing for remote wakeup (won't work for all remotes)...
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Remote wakeup rules successfully applied
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Optimizing installation...
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Cleaning up...
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Reboot system...
2013-01-28 20:06 - INFO :: Installation complete. Rebooting...

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-01-28

I think it should be wise to turn it around. Do a clean install following the guide to the letter. Then configure the machine to act as router + wifi AP.
I personally would never let a XBMC machine act as a router.

There are very cheap and stable routers that can do the job a lot more efficient and stable.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - tesona1977 - 2013-01-28

@Bram77

* can you implement some kind of "--expert" flag to execute every step on their own (download/install splash screen, install autostart, config wsnipex ppa-repo ect)
* you provide 3 types of autostart. is there any "preferred autostart" method for ubuntu 12.10?
* feature request: "start xbmc" beside a display manager like gnome (steps to perform: disable compiz, than start xbmc afterwards)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - odt_x - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-28, 22:44)Bram77 Wrote: I think it should be wise to turn it around. Do a clean install following the guide to the letter. Then configure the machine to act as router + wifi AP.
I personally would never let a XBMC machine act as a router. Ubuntu 13.04 isn't even final yet so there is a chance that some parts aren't stable yet (although I've not encountered any problems yet in the past few months). I think stability is pretty important in a router.

There are very cheap and stable routers that can do the job a lot more efficient and stable.

Thanks for your reply. This one is a 12.10 server install, but I think I will give it a fresh go and start with the XBMC part first using your script this time.

As for my motives, Im just trying to get rid of some boxes, cable cluttter and cut on power costs + the gigabit ports are kinda appealing when you have fiber coming in to the home. I replaced a perfecly good Juniper NS5GT with this board but it will probably have to serve me a bit more until Im happy with all aspects of the system.

btw, anyone run this script successfully on an NM70 chipset board before?

(2013-01-28, 23:30)tesona1977 Wrote: @Bram77

* can you implement some kind of "--expert" flag to execute every step on their own (download/install splash screen, install autostart, config wsnipex ppa-repo ect)
* you provide 3 types of autostart. is there any "preferred autostart" method for ubuntu 12.10?
* feature request: "start xbmc" beside a display manager like gnome (steps to perform: disable compiz, than start xbmc afterwards)

* Why would you want that?
* It provides two methods of starting XBMC. Via init.d and via Upstart. I use init.d myself. Although it doesn't provide an automatic restart after XBMC has crashes it somehow is more stable. XBMC never crashes with the init.d script on my machine and it crashes regularly when using the Upstart script.
* The purpose of the script is to keep things minimal and efficient. So I won't be adding support for installation of anything that relies on a window manager. Of course you're free to do so yourself manually. It's Linux, so almost anything you can think of can be done Smile
(2013-01-28, 23:50)odt_x Wrote:
(2013-01-28, 22:44)Bram77 Wrote: I think it should be wise to turn it around. Do a clean install following the guide to the letter. Then configure the machine to act as router + wifi AP.
I personally would never let a XBMC machine act as a router. Ubuntu 13.04 isn't even final yet so there is a chance that some parts aren't stable yet (although I've not encountered any problems yet in the past few months). I think stability is pretty important in a router.

Thanks for your reply. This one is a 12.10 server install, but I think I will give it a fresh go and start with the XBMC part first using your script this time.

As for my motives, Im just trying to get rid of some boxes, cable cluttter and cut on power costs + the gigabit ports are kinda appealing when you have fiber coming in to the home. I replaced a perfecly good Juniper NS5GT with this board but it will probably have to serve me a bit more until Im happy with all aspects of the system.

btw, anyone run this script successfully on an NM70 chipset board before?

Sorry, I was confused for a moment. I'm currently running XBMC on 13.04 myself.
Routers with gigabit ports aren't expensive either and consume far less power then a PC Smile. But of course you must do whatever you think suits your configuration best!

Almost all routers have them nowadays. I don't know if you're aware of this, but you'll need at least cat5-e (or cat6) network cables too, to be able to make use of the gigabit bandwidth.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - tesona1977 - 2013-01-29

(2013-01-28, 23:58)Bram77 Wrote: * Why would you want that?

to execute only particular steps (i thought "dirty region rendering" is obsolete in frodo :-? ). just thought this could be a good idea (improvement)

Quote:* It provides two methods of starting XBMC. Via init.d and via Upstart. I use init.d myself. Although it doesn't provide an automatic restart after XBMC has crashes it somehow is more stable. XBMC never crashes with the init.d script on my machine and it crashes regularly when using the Upstart script.

oh sorry...just saw two seperate upstart scripts in download folder and thought this could be another autostart way. i think i give the init script a try

Quote:* The purpose of the script is to keep things minimal and efficient. So I won't be adding support for installation of anything that relies on a window manager. Of course you're free to do so yourself manually. It's Linux, so almost anything you can think of can be done Smile

thanks for your answers! i start gnome beside xbmc to render movies in background (handbrake ... i prefer the gui instead of handbrake cli)

RE: [Linux] HOW-TO: Launch X desktop environment on XBMC exit? - sion28 - 2013-01-29

(2013-01-24, 11:26)uNiversal Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 22:51)millercentral Wrote: I don't think I've seen any tips or guides on how to do this (I could have missed it). Is this possible, and if so, are there any tips on how to accomplish it efficiently?

Thanks, and again HUGE THANKS for all the work on this great setup script.

I haven't either though pressing crtl+alt+F1 or F2 is faster than using remote to navigate out of XBMC

(2013-01-24, 03:02)sion28 Wrote: 1 - Admittedly that's an old post by uNi... but wouldn't that at a minimum require installation of a GUI desktop of some sort? Wouldn't that be contrary to the minimalist effort of this script?

2 - I personally would love it. I think this script and the instructions on the first post should include the option of installing a very lightweight desktop of some sort (maybe even the desktop that XBMCbuntu uses?)

3 - It would facilitate installation and set up of MythTV, among probably numerous other things.

1 - Yes it is an old post still no reply, No definitely not required any window managers.
You obviously misunderstood my question. You said (originally) that it would be nice to be able to exit XBMC directly to an X-login. In order to do that, (be able to exit to an X-windows login) you'd have to have a gui desktop installed. That would be contrary to the minimalist direction of this script.
Quote:2 - No because you dont need a GUI desktop of any kind.
That wasn't a yes/no question. It was an opinion of mine. But, since you went there anyway, you most certainly DO need a gui desktop to configure mythTV (one of the most popular PVR backends for achieving LiveTV with XBMC). That desktop could be on another machine, in theory, but you do need a graphical desktop interface to run the MythTV backend setup. PVR and LiveTV via XBMC are quickly becoming some of the most popular features now that they're included in Frodo. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it would be nice if installation of a desktop were streamlined into this excellent script.
Quote:Lightdm is buggy as hell,
Who said anything about Lightdm? If that happens to be the desktop for XBMCbuntu, I didn't know it. Besides, isn't Lightdm a desktop manager, not an actual desktop?
Quote: I wouldn't use it but to install a window manager all you need to do is sudo apt-get install insertwindowmanagernamehere.< how is that for a how-to?
I don't need a how-to. I suggested it would be nice if the option were there, during the installation process, to install a desktop of some sort, with maybe a suggestion of which one would be the most stable and light-weight/minimalist. There are a lot of other rather unnecessary steps that are included in this installation script/instructions, things that could be manually done via the CLI, but that's not the point of the script is it? The point is to automate and streamline the whole process so that anyone could do it.
Quote:3 - No again it wouldn't, so far your speculating
English is obviously not your first language, so don't take offense, but if you're interested in correct usage of the language, please Google "your vs you're." I don't usually call people out on such trivial grammatical mistakes. However, you seem to be the kind of guy who enjoys being, and/or needs to be correct, so I figured I'd help you out.

That aside, you're wrong. I was not speculating about anything, except for the "among probably numerous other things" part, which is obviously a speculation, so I assume you weren't talking about that, since you of all people wouldn't be referring to something so obvious.

As stated already, MythTV requires a graphical desktop to run the backend setup. Sure it's possible to SSL/Telnet from a different machine that has a desktop and display the backend setup gui on that machine remotely, but one way or another a graphical interface is required for MythTV setup. Considering again, that this script is all about efficiency and making the installation process clean and easy for everyone, why force people to install Linux on another machine just so they can telnet to the XBMC box via a gui desktop to setup MythTV?
Quote:So let me guess you quoted my old post just to opportunistically ask about window managers and the likes, Very smooth.
Um, no. I got it from "millercentral" who quoted your old post. It was his post quoting your post that made me think of how nice it would be if Bram77's instructions and script included an optional step of installing a gui desktop. Many people (e.g. millercentral, among others) other than myself, have mentioned needing or wanting a gui desktop after following Bram77's script.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-01-29

@sion28

Thank you, for your extremely long and detailed post which made me very sleepy.. The only thing it did was clutter this thread. Lesson learned,

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - bond007taz - 2013-01-29

Your Amazing - this worked great!!!!!!! I have an ACER ION Box with a SteamZap IR and everything worked out after the first reboot - FREAKIN' AMAZING!!! It is fast...

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - odt_x - 2013-01-29

I did a fresh mini install and ran your script straight away this time. Immediate lockup again Sad I saw this thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143170 and used the following line to net get the system to lock up anymore:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie_aspm=force"

But xbmc went into a crash cycle as a result (all default settings, havent been able to configure it yet):. So something is definitely up with the chipset and the compability of the scripts default settings.

Crash log

Apparently manually trying to run startx will tell me:

FATAL: Error inserting i915 (/lib/modules/3.5.0-22-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko): Invalid argument

EDIT: after removing everything else but only keeping i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 I dont have any problems with XBMC anymore. Great. Going to try out 13.04 and a 3.8-rc2+ kernel now where RC6 issues on Sandy Bridge are supposedly better/fixed.