Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 1... - francovilar - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-12, 20:54)francovilar Wrote: Sometimes waking from sleep I get only a black screen and have to reboot. I can't find a script that works with this installation to restart x and xbmc, can somebody help me? Most of the scripts I found ask for a lightdm restart and it doens't work. Thank you

Bram or Universal can you guys help me with this? Thank you

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-02-15

This installation method doesn't use lightdm. Did you install using the upstart or init.d script? I've had several issues with the upstart script and none with init.d . If you're currently using upstart I suggest you rerun the installation script over your current configuration choosing the same options you did while initially installing except for the init.d option.

@uNiversal: I can't PM you back because you have disabled receiving personal messages.

HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 1... - francovilar - 2013-02-15

I used the init.d. if I rerun the script do I have to configure xbmc again? I will post a log when I get home. Thank you

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Grumpa - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-15, 18:33)uNiversal Wrote: @Grumpa

np, Wink You need minimum 10 posts to unlock +/-

uNi

Thanks

(easy extra post Big Grin )
[/quote]

Outsmarted by forum software. How embarrassing.

(2013-02-15, 19:18)uNiversal Wrote: see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369&pid=1250360#pid1250360

uNi

I read that post and almost all of the others before doing the install which is why I was looking for the option to move /home during partitioning. I'll look again when I do the install again to the 250GB drive.

@Bram77
The USB install was more a proof of concept than a real working install. The system currently has 5x3TB drives in raid5 for multimedia storage, 2x2TB for TV and temporary movie storage. Movies are checked and processed with mkvmerge before being moved to the raid array. Some time next year I expect to add 2 more 3TB drives and then the 250GB will have to go. At that time I'll either go usb or move the system to one of the 2TB drives.

Sabnzbd is up and running thanks to Mar2zz. Still to do configure ssh, install mkvmerge and rebuild the raid5 in the new case

Thanks again, this is working great for me.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - n1md4 - 2013-02-16

(2013-02-15, 19:28)Bram77 Wrote: I'm guessing the steps to move your home directory to another partition would be:

- Create new partion (ext3 or ext4) on your target drive
- Run "sudo blkid" to figure out the UUID of the new partion
- Mount the new partition to a temporary folder
- Copy all the contents from your current /home directory to the new partition
- Modify /etc/fstab to mount the /home directory to new partition (using the UUID)
- Delete all the contents of the directory
- "mount -a" to remount the home partition or reboot the machine

Something like that. But I personally would just copy the /home/xbmc/.xbmc directory via SFTP to my computer, reinstall everthing (all on the 250GB drive since it's quite a lot faster). After having reinstalled everything again just copy back the /home/xbmc/.xbmc directory and you're all set.

Thanks for the assist. Your (first) method would have been possible had I deleted the .xbmc immediately after copying it, but I wanted to make sure the copy worked. Since rebooting it's impossible to delete the original unless XBMC is shutdown. I guess since this now uses systemd moving the init script has no effect.

It's fine, I'll get a live environment and fix it that way.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2013-02-16

@n1md4 - that was going to be my suggestion - boot off of a LiveCD, mount drive, fix what you need, carry on.

Comes in handy when you make a mistake in /etc/sudoers for instance... ;-)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - frobear - 2013-02-17

Hi All,

I tried this script on an existing Ubuntu 12.10 server install, the script went ok, but it does not boot into XBMC.

I need to be able to access all of my other apps (via browser) when XBMC is running and also connect to the server using putty.

Is that possible using this script, or do I need to remove what has been installed and do it manually ??

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Grumpa - 2013-02-17

Got everything installed and working Smile. It took a while to get the video playback looking good, seems to have been a sync problem. I noticed in rummaging around that I'm running XBMC 13.0 alpha 1 and the system is ridiculously unstable. I would like to remove 13.0 alpha and install Frodo stable.

Asus P5G41T-M 8GB ddr3, GT430

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-02-18

@Grumpa

I doubt 13 alpha1 is unstable vs Frodo (in fact it can only be more stable), since the biggest issues stability wise (AE issues) have been solved only post Frodo.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-02-18

so far the only problem I've encountered with 13 alpha 1 is that the YouTube Aston is broken. Every thing else seems to work fine on my machine.

But I'm working on a new version (total rewrite; different approach). The new version will allow you to choose between xbmc versions. I've just started so it will take a while before it will be available.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-02-18

so far the only problem I've encountered with 13 alpha 1 is that the YouTube Aston is broken. Every thing else seems to work fine on my machine.

But I'm working on a new version (total rewrite; different approach). The new version will allow you to choose between xbmc versions. I've just started so it will take a while before it will be available.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-02-18

@Bran update your second post to refer to 2.6.1 which is current, the old stuff 2.6.0 is still being peddled.

We have to resolve one big issue of the resolution issues binge incompatible; wit ATI an Intel..I left a issue report down at yours.

You new poisoning python is way to heavy for me, I struggle to keep up with this bash stuff.

Anyway for ATI, (legacy) ION and INTEl best is see my branch which at least works with these machines as is. anything higher than 12.10 andit support nightmare.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - MikeBuzz - 2013-02-18

using a shorter URL can make it easier

cd ~
wget http://goo.gl/jsRNh
bash ./jsRNh

I still haven't had the chance to do a clean install with version 2.6.1 uNiversal. I've updated the start post and added the new version as a test version.

Trust me if I say python will just make things easier uNi. If you get how bash scripting works you'll definately understand Python. It will make it a lot easier to maintain and the majority of the system commands will still be in bash (executed by python). With the new script I will try and make it as simple as possible to add support for multiple versions of Ubuntu.

I dont get how bash works at all, just know commands and maybe 10% script makes sense to me. I'm not going to be able to help you anymore with python going forward since its beyond my ability and interest. Bash maybe some interest in that, python 0.

uNi