Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Sevennl - 2013-03-12

Hi Bram,
could you point us to the thread of that new project ?
I should had been my next question here to use at least the latest versions, or a simple way to add stuff.

Script 2.6.1 does the trick this time for me tho, manually installed lcdproc, Only need to finetune the LCDd config for my VDF on the Silverstone LC03-V.
I even got the nice XBMC bootscreen which 2.6 does not give me for some reason.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-12

There is no thread yet. The repository can be found here but it's not ready for usage yet: https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-system-tools
I'll post a link to the new thread once it's available!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Pikeman - 2013-03-19

Hi,

how can I update to XBMC 12.1?
Actually I'm on XBMC 12.0.

Thx for help.

Pikeman

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - z4ck38 - 2013-03-20

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

I've done so many searches about this my eyes have crossed.
I've got XBMC up and running on my HTPC, but for some reason the CPU usage is redic high and XBMC runs super slow in the menus and refuses to play any kind of video with out some sort of lag or mis-sync between the video and audio.

I've made sure that the dirty region stuff is in my advancedsettings.xml

This is the machine i'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205006

It has 2gb of ram.

I'm sure you guys want to see logs, but i'm not sure which ones you need or how to get them, so help would be appreciated.

edit: info that might help

xbmc@htpc:~$ ps -eo pcpu,pid,user,args | sort -k 1 -r | head -10
%CPU PID USER COMMAND
77.5 1071 xbmc /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone
43.6 864 root X :0
3.8 1354 xbmc -bash
0.4 1334 root sshd: xbmc [priv]
0.3 5 root [kworker/u:0]
0.3 1 root /sbin/init
0.2 222 root /sbin/v86d
0.1 8 root [migration/1]
0.1 6 root [migration/0]
xbmc@htpc:~$

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2013-03-20

@z4ck38 - I don't believe you have any *real* commonly supported GPU in that unit and therein lies your problem.

All I can see listed for that unit is the Intel NM10 and I am not sure what type of video hardware acceleration - if any - that chipset would offer.

Atom CPU != Ion. Ion is very popular combo of Atom CPU + Nvidia GPU that runs great for XBMC...I am not seeing anything resembling that for your build.

Hope this helps somewhat, but if not sorry to be the bearer of bad news. ;-)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-03-20

The good news is it has a expansion PCI Express x1 which would fit a nvidia gt430 very well and make a excellent machine with that addition.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - thethirdnut - 2013-03-20

@uNi - hopefully he can find an Nvidia pcie x1 ... newegg.ca seems to list a few, but for whatever reason newegg.com does not. Depends where he's shopping from I guess, but google shows fairly slim pickings.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007708%20600007854%20600030348&IsNodeId=1&name=NVIDIA

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - z4ck38 - 2013-03-20

according to another site this thing does have HD graphics. Even if it doesn't really, it would seem weird to me that it included an hdmi port, but not the capabilities for hd graphics.

Specifications
Atom D2700 (2.13GHz, 2cores/4threads)
HD Graphics 3600 (aka PowerVR SGX545)
Intel NM10 chipset
2x DIMM Slots for DDR3 1066/800 (up to 8GB)
x1 PCIe
2x SATA 3.0Gb/s
Realtek ALC662 Audio
2x Broadcom 57788 (1GbE)
1x 2.5" bay [moddable to two]

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-03-20

LIsten, Its likely you have no proper driver installed so go ahead and pastebin a debug log and if you enabled vaapi etc. Having said that Intel Gpus and issues/fixes etc related has been covered to death a bit, so will not be repeating the info.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-20

@z4ck38: As said. The drivers are most likely your problem. If you want to be sure everything will run smooth and you want to use your hardware using it's optomal capabilities but a NVIDIA graphics card. Since you only have a x1 PCIe slot options are very limited. Forunately the perfect HTPC card IS available for x1 slots as thethirdnut suggested.

There might be a way to get more out of you onboard graphics card using Linux. But I don't own a Intel HD graphics card so I don't know for sure. My advise wouldd be to go with the GT430. It's well worth the money.
Alternatively you could install windows. But you probably won;t like the result since the machines performance will take serious hit compared to the Ubuntu minimal solution.

I've got some new (old) hardware I'm currently running XBMC on. It's a Dell Optiplex 745 with a C2D E6400 CPU, 4GB of RAM, 160GB SATA2 SSD drive and an ASUS NVIDIA GT2100 Graphics card (the cheapest card available). It's a hell of a lot faster then the ASROCK ION 330HT (and it does consume more power of course). I've installed the system using version 2.6.1 of the script on Ubuntu 13.04 minimal. I didn't encounter any problems apart from an error displayed shortly I couldn't really identify. It didn't stop the installation process. I do seem to have one small problem and I don;t know what's causing it. I don't think it's related to the script but to Ubuntu 13.04 itself. When rebooting via command line the system somhow stops the reboot process and falls back into single user mode. It doesn't really bother me. I thought I should report my findings so anyone else knows the script works with Ubuntu 13.04 minimal.

For anyone in doubt of buying the passively cooled ASUS NVIDIA GT2100 Graphics card.... It's prettymuch perfect for a HTPC. Low power consumption. They don;t come any cheaper and it's perfectly capable of handeling everything XBMC can throw at it.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - HTPCAsus - 2013-03-26

hello like to know how can I uninstall scprit because after installing the script 2_6.sh had an error, and I can not access the login menu.
thank you for your help, I am newbie using linux.
Thank you for your excellent work.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-26

What login menu? I'm guessing you've run the script a Ubuntu desktop installation? The script should only be used on Ubuntu minimal or Ubuntu server.
There is no uninstalling. You could try and reverse all changes it has made by analyzing the installation script yourself.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Sevennl - 2013-03-29

I guess you should post a warning in the first post like the "You can't dry your cat in a microwave" warning.

/Still lurking around waiting on the new stuff Smile

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-29

(2013-03-29, 00:54)Sevennl Wrote: I guess you should post a warning in the first post like the "You can't dry your cat in a microwave" warning.

/Still lurking around waiting on the new stuff Smile

Done Smile.

I work on the new script whenever I find the time. It's named 'Xsyst' (Xbmc System Tools) and will provide the user will a webinterface to manage packages, repositories and XBMC specific system patches and optimizations.

Currently the new script will allow you to:
- Add and remove repositories
- Remove and install packages
- Monitor system data (CPU, RAM, OS version/type)
- Create backups of your XBMC installation (compressed archive of the .xbmc directory)
- Delete backups
- Download backups
- Restore backups
- Upload previously downloaded backups so they can be restored
- Select a XBMC specific respository from a static list, automatically uninstall the existing XBMC installation and installing the one from the selected repo while keeping your configuration (WIP)
- Automatic update notifications (like SickBeard, Couchpotato, etc) (WIP)

Once I've got the functionalities I'm currently working on working (that's mostly updating app via the gui and switching repos) and more or less tested I'll create a new thread and notify you about it's existence via this thread. So the first version will not provide you with the same functionality this script does. I'll be developing in stages, hoping that you people will help me iron out the problems in phases.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - DasAtom - 2013-03-30

Hello,

Im quiet new to all of this and already running into some problems installing xbmc :/
When i try to install xbmc by this command
Code:
wget https://github.com/Bram77[...]12.10

I get a 404 failure by sending the http request.
The connection to github.com 207.97.227.239:443 works.

I've got a wired connection to the internet.

Greetz