Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Morrtin - 2013-05-14

I did the following

1. Updated firmware
  2. Updated kernel
  3. Run script

Firmware is architecture independed, as far as I know.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Morrtin - 2013-05-16

(2013-05-09, 17:36)uNiversal Wrote: Feel free to visit my fork on github https://github.com/uNiversaI/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal I kept it for 12.04lts so it works with all ATI GPU's including legacy but again idk as I cant test it.

you have a pull request :-)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - wsnipex - 2013-05-17

(2013-05-16, 12:14)Morrtin Wrote:
(2013-05-09, 17:36)uNiversal Wrote: Feel free to visit my fork on github https://github.com/uNiversaI/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal I kept it for 12.04lts so it works with all ATI GPU's including legacy but again idk as I cant test it.

you have a pull request :-)

but not with Trinity (C/A)PUS, as they need a newer kernel

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Morrtin - 2013-05-17

I am not sure if your answer is for uNiversal or for me? *ggg*

Anyway: two new questions. A common linux question and one for XBMC.

1) As you know I upgraded to kernel 3.9 so HD audio is working. Now my Linux tells me it has three new packages for me. And yes you guess right.
They are kernel packages, which I normally install with dist-upgrade but would this ruin my current kernel?

2) When I exit XBMC because I have to work in the shell (can't use ssh) I see a lot of text (starting/stopping things) and the last row is "Stopping System V runlevel compatibility", but I never get a prompt to enter user and password for the shell. Is this normal with our script setup or to I have a problem?

BTW: What is Trinity (C/A)PUS anyway?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Baitou - 2013-05-19

Thank you so much for this. Been trying all weekend to get 1080p to work without lag and nothing has been working except this and being completely new to Linux has been challenging. This was my last effort before purchasing Windows so pretty happy to find a solution. I've built a HTPC on the ASROCK E350M1 and made sure it would be able to play 1080p. Didn't look into the Ubuntu part too much though, hehe.

Now I just need to figure out a way to setup a torrent client to be remotely controlled and how to set up a working network group between the HTPC and other computers at home. I'll look around. A related question to this is whether it is possible or not to upgrade to include a simple desktop gui? I noticed some people debating it previously in the thread so not sure if this is the place for such a question.

Once again, thanks!!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Sevennl - 2013-05-22

Adding a desktop GUI will slow your systems performance down a bit which you rather not want with a HTPC.
If you need the desktop just for some file editing etc i recommend to install mc ( Midnight commander ) which is a 2 windows file manager and use it's build in editor ( first start of the editor function you get a question which editor to use , take the mc edit one as it is the most user friendly for windows users )
And when you setup your samba shares correctly you will not have much need to access the system ( with samba you can also edit/copy/paste remotely your files.

a simple samba (/etc/samba/smbd.conf) share definition:

[Torrent config folder]
comment = location of the configuration files for torrent
path = /usr/torrent/etc
public = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0755 (or 0777 for full control for everybody )
directory mask = 0755
force user = root ( or the user which runs your torrent service )

Re: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - n1md4 - 2013-05-27

It would appear my nvidia driver is disabled, and XBMC will not work at all. This was during a bit of system upgrading, I think linux-headers may have been removed (can't actually remember). what's the best way to get this working again. I know this is not a script problem, but thought best to check here first. Thanks

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Bram77 - 2013-05-27

You could try

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - n1md4 - 2013-05-27

Thanks, Bram. That's already clear. I've started another thread, as it's slightly off-topic:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165815

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - n1md4 - 2013-05-29

Another question, is there a way to start openbox on boot; I know it's against the minimal idea, but I use the ALA a lot and launching programs often breaks things without a DE. Just wondering were I'd put that openbox & line? Smile

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - no1_cdn - 2013-05-30

Hello
Bram, Thank you for this tutorial and script to automate XBMC setup! It saved (or is about to save) my old PC from scrapyard Big Grin
I'm a Ubuntu/Linux noob, so please bear with me!

No stereo audio from SB Live!

My system specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Asus A7N8X-X
nVidia 6600GT AGP
80GB HDD
SB Live! 5.1 (Soundblaster Live Value?)
Ubuntu minimal 12.10 (from Brams post)
Script v2.6.0

I noticed that the script installed XBMC 13.0 Alpha-3 Git:41061a8 not 12.2 (last stable version)?

Disabled Onboard audio/video in BIOS.
Video works, sound doesn't!
XBMC settings show SB Live! drivers loaded and there's 4 options to choose from including "default"
I went through all of them, still no audio.
I haven't tested SPDIF (coax) though. But I'm connecting to TV with stereo and DVI, so I need the stereo to work...
Logged in through putty to check "alsamixer" volume settings, etc. all good there... I think...
I searched forums for some answers, but I'm a Ubuntu noob, so not sure what to do...
I read about updating kernel? but that was on Ubuntu 13.04, no?

I tested with XBMCbuntu on USB stick and stereo sound works.

Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
no1_cdn

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Morrtin - 2013-05-30

Doesn't matter which version of Ubuntu you have. You can always update kernel if you like. I would suggest to update to kernel 3.9.4 with firmware 1.108. Solved some problems on my system.

If you copy the script from my post on page 106 then you are apple to select a XBMC version. The original script will always use wsnipex's Git Build PPA (test versions).

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Bram77 - 2013-05-30

The SB Live! 5.1 soundcard has been supported natively by the kernel for ages to my best knowledge. Did you select the output type correctly no1_cdn? From the top of my head it's the first option. If it's set to HDMI it won't output anything. It needs to be 'Analog'. Disable all checkbox options to make sure nothing gets in the way of the analog output.

Did you unmute all outputs and did you make sure all volumes are up with alsamixer (during the installation process). If you're not sure, just login via SSH and run 'alsamixer' to check.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - no1_cdn - 2013-05-30

(2013-05-30, 14:58)Bram77 Wrote: The SB Live! 5.1 soundcard has been supported natively by the kernel for ages to my best knowledge. Did you select the output type correctly no1_cdn? From the top of my head it's the first option. If it's set to HDMI it won't output anything. It needs to be 'Analog'. Disable all checkbox options to make sure nothing gets in the way of the analog output.

Did you unmute all outputs and did you make sure all volumes are up with alsamixer (during the installation process). If you're not sure, just login via SSH and run 'alsamixer' to check.

Thanks for your help Bram!

The audio in XBMC is set to "Analog", 2.0,
Boost volume level on downmix=OFF (tried ON as well)
Output stereo to all speakers=OFF (tried ON as well)

All the volumes are UP in alsamixer.
I have a feeling that the audio drivers didn't install correctly...
What commands should I use to reinstall audio drivers?

BTW is there a way to switch to SSH from XBMC?
Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc, doesn't work.
When I hit EXIT in XBMC it closes XBMC and then goes to black screen that says:
*Starting [OK]
and just sits there. I have to use PUTTY from my other machine to log in.

no1_cdn

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Bram77 - 2013-05-30

The audiohardware drivers are part of the kernel. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Have you tried putting the soundcard in a different slot? Is an older pc, so maybe it's a resource allocation problem in the motherboard/bios.