Kodi Community Forum
Sharing Remotely - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Sharing Remotely (/showthread.php?tid=144862)

Sharing Remotely - mcjknell - 2012-11-09

I have XBMC set up at my house and everything works great. I want to access files from my office as that's where all my movies are. I have them all on external hard drives and want to add them to my XBMC at home. I dont want to keep transporting them back and forth so is there an easy way to stream them from my office? I have an extra computer laying around there that I have played around with. I have Openmediavault installed and SMB working there but cant figure out a way to be able to access it at home? Or is that even the best option to access it from there?

I would like something fairly easy with a GUI as my command line skills are limited.

Any Ideas? I can start over on the server or home computer with a different OS or Server OS.

Sharing Remotely - BORIStheBLADE - 2012-11-09

I know there are some NAS boxes like Synology that have web access and a web page to access everything from other locations. I think windows home server even allows the same. Of course after setting up your network to allow this ..

RE: Sharing Remotely - mcjknell - 2012-11-09

By the looks Synology requires me to purchase new equipment and hard drives. I already have hard drives and would like to keep the cost down. I know Windows server does allow it as well just was looking for a free version or something similar.

RE: Sharing Remotely - live4ever - 2012-11-09

The big question is ... do you control the office network? Basically you'll create a VPN into the office network from home then have access to the SMB shares or create a web server within OpenMediaVault and stream over htttp.

RE: Sharing Remotely - mcjknell - 2012-11-09

Yes I control the office network. I just want to make sure its secure with user names and passwords.

I will have to look into VPN as well as creating a web server.

Re: Sharing Remotely - bry - 2012-11-10

Plexmedia server + plexbmc addon?

RE: Sharing Remotely - mcjknell - 2012-11-10

bry- have you tried Plexmedia server? How is it? How secure is it?

Also with VPN is there any way to set up a VPN server that can handle all OS's? The client VPN's would be a mac and windows. But also Linux at some point. I know its asking alot and thanks for all the reply's.

Re: Sharing Remotely - bry - 2012-11-10

Yes. Check the site for more info

RE: Sharing Remotely - taalas - 2012-11-10

(2012-11-10, 03:57)mcjknell Wrote: Also with VPN is there any way to set up a VPN server that can handle all OS's? The client VPN's would be a mac and windows. But also Linux at some point. I know its asking alot and thanks for all the reply's.

Yes, if you use OpenVPN e.g. there are clients for Windows, OS X and Linux. Setting it up may be a problem though, since it isn't a matter of a simple program installation, I am afraid. I don't know what kind of firewalls you use, but firewall solutions like IPFire make it very easy to bridge 2 networks with a net to net VPN.

RE: Sharing Remotely - mcjknell - 2012-11-11

Im pretty sure we are using just basic firewall that came with the system and router. I might try OpenVPN if I can figure it out.

I did look up Plex and that looks like a great option but from the looks of some youtube videos it doesnt look like it adds the videos into XBMC more like its just a plugin that runs like Plex? I like the layout of XBMC better than Plex. Am I wrong on this? Can you add the drive as if it was a local hard drive? Let me know.

Any other options? What about just using Windows Home Server does it have the ability to be accessed Remotely easily?Or what about a free version that I can use? What about FTP? is that safe? sorry just really want to get my system set up.

Thanks again for all your replies...