Kodi Community Forum
Linux XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found (/showthread.php?tid=145451)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - Antiloop - 2013-02-06

(2013-02-03, 21:59)apeg Wrote: for anyone having this problem, this did the trick for my Veriton N282G

Quote:sudo nano /etc/init/lightdm.conf

Quote:start on ((filesystem
and runlevel [!06]
and started dbus
and stopped udevtrigger
and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
or stopped udev-fallback-graphics))
or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

The bold line is what to add and where

Good luck,
-aPeg
in my case this works (asus s1-at5nm10e)
I don't what the change does, but now booting takes more time so maybe that also fixes it

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - DYKWIA - 2013-02-07

(2013-02-03, 21:59)apeg Wrote: for anyone having this problem, this did the trick for my Veriton N282G

and runlevel [!06]
and started dbus
and stopped udevtrigger
or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

Good luck,
-aPeg

Fixed my setup on an Acer Revo 3700.

Thanks!

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - blazeblaze - 2013-02-11

(2013-02-07, 00:55)DYKWIA Wrote:

and runlevel [!06]
and started dbus
and stopped udevtrigger
or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

Good luck,
-aPeg

Fixed my setup on an Acer Revo 3700.

Thanks!

This also fixed my audio on my Acer Revo 3700 running XBMCbuntu. Thank you!

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - wsnipex - 2013-02-11

can you give the nightly PPA a try, those udev-trigger or sleep workarounds should not be necessary anymore. Xbmc now waits for audio devices to come up.

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - kbriggs346 - 2013-02-13

i am using the latest frodo release of buntu and it required a work around as of January

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - fritsch - 2013-02-13

latest is no version:

Code:
dpkg -l |grep xbmc

and the logfile of course. I am no magician and can see your data through the "big firewall".

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - wsnipex - 2013-02-13

(2013-02-13, 03:33)kbriggs346 Wrote: i am using the latest frodo release of buntu and it required a work around as of January

to make it clearer: you MUST add the nightly ppa and update xbmc

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - nermal - 2013-04-27

I just installed the latest nightly package (2:13.0~git20130427.0200-44f0991-0raring) and I can confirm that the issue is still present. My Nvidia HDMI audio device is not detected, unless I delay the start of XBMC by 10 seconds (sleep 10).

The udevtrigger solution did not work for me. "aplay -l" lists the Nvidia HDMI device, but XBMC can't see it unless I wait 10 seconds after LXDE comes up.

It would be great if XBMC either waited for previously seen audio devices to show up or rescan the ALSA devices periodically after startup.

Re: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - nickr - 2013-04-27

Not strictly an xbmc issue, the problem is a system config issue - xbmc starting too soon.

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - nermal - 2013-04-30

"aplay -l" detects the device 10 seconds before XBMC detects it though, so I think it is an XBMC issue.

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - un1versal - 2013-04-30

Since delaying lightdm fixes the problem it cant be a XBMC problem, it were a XBMC problem it wouldn't be solved in such way would it? (That's not really a question)

uNi

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - nermal - 2013-05-03

Agreed. But why is it that other programs (like aplay) can use the HDMI audio immediately, without any delay of lightdm? I think that is a XBMC problem.

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - un1versal - 2013-05-03

I dont know the intricacies of aplay in relation to alsa other than its a command line player for alsa, and XBMC is totally unrelated to aplay, perhpas you would like to go ask alsa forums that.

that said if this was a device blocking issue it would block any devices trying to use the soundcard, while xbmc has been known to block devices due to AE bugs, this doesnt appear to be the case, so ergo, not xbmc problem, you can determine this easily by bypassing lightdm as a xbmc laucher and lauch xbmc via xinit on system boot see HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Linux#Upstart_init_script (wiki) and disable lightdm for a boot or two, if it cures it you will know for sure.

But Im not a developer or going to be arguing the finer points of madness with you. I will defer to a developer like fritsch or wsnipx who know better whats going on.

uNi

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - fritsch - 2013-05-03

(2013-05-03, 14:17)nermal Wrote: Agreed. But why is it that other programs (like aplay) can use the HDMI audio immediately, without any delay of lightdm? I think that is a XBMC problem.

Yes. You are completely right. AE scans for devices _once_ and that is when xbmc is started. It scans as long until one device (mostly your Analog device) is found. Btw. there is a better way than sleeping for x seconds. You can ask udev if it is ready with enumerating devices. See some posts behind.

RE: XBMCBuntu Frodo RC - AE: Error - no devices found - nermal - 2013-05-06

Quote:Yes. You are completely right. AE scans for devices _once_ and that is when xbmc is started. It scans as long until one device (mostly your Analog device) is found. Btw. there is a better way than sleeping for x seconds. You can ask udev if it is ready with enumerating devices. See some posts behind.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the modified udev upstart script doesn't fix the issue for me.

Re-scanning devices after XBMC startup would probably not be a good idea, since that would mean changing the sound device during XBMC operation. Waiting for a previously-seen sound device at XBMC startup would not be a good option either. So I guess I'll have to put a "sleep 10" in my startup script, unless anyone has a better idea.