Kodi Community Forum
how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display (/showthread.php?tid=147728)

how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Dakurt71 - 2012-12-09

I've always used a Revo with XBMClive connected to my reciever (and that to my projector and TV) and I liked to leave it always on(mainly because i never could get the revo to go into sleep)
Now I bought a mac mini mainly for XBMC but also to do some video editing and some other stuff that my laptop is to slow to handle. I would like to connect my mac mini 2012 to the thunderbolt display (thunderbolt connection)
and to my recevier through hdmi.? And that works. I set XBMC to display on the second screen and put the sound through HDMI and it works fine. But when I start using the mac mini on the thunderbolt display I often loose the mouse (I mean I often ca't see it) unless a program (like mail) is running but when using the mac as pc the second window( for XBMC) often changes sizes or goes grey. Am I missing something? On my old windows pc this was never a problem as long as you kept the mouse one screen 1 It worked like a charm. Do I need to change some settings? Thx for any input

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Lappen71 - 2012-12-09

Use Mission Control and assign a key to switch between displays.

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Dakurt71 - 2012-12-10

I wan't it to just work , i don't want to have press a key somewhere just full second screen xbmc ALL the time

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Lappen71 - 2012-12-10

And i just works if you follow my advice.
When i start XBMC it always start in fullscreen and on my second desktop and i use toggle between them with Mission Control.
How hard can it get?

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - activate - 2012-12-11

Mission control sounds easy enough. However, can't you assign Desktop 2 to the external display and then assign XBMC to desktop 2 by pressing and holding the xbmc icon in the dock ? This way as soon as you open xbmc, it automatically opens on desktop 2 which is on your external display. I dont have a second monitor to test it on.

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Ned Scott - 2012-12-11

(2012-12-11, 00:32)activate Wrote: Mission control sounds easy enough. However, can't you assign Desktop 2 to the external display and then assign XBMC to desktop 2 by pressing and holding the xbmc icon in the dock ? This way as soon as you open xbmc, it automatically opens on desktop 2 which is on your external display. I dont have a second monitor to test it on.

For some reason Apple removed this feature in Mac OS X, at least in 10.8.

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - Dakurt71 - 2012-12-11

I want to use my mac mini as a pc on a thunderbolt display, but its also connected to my reciever with the hdmi output, I m still relatively new to Mac OS but when I m working on the MAC mini sometimes the second display minimizes when I m using the magic pad. When I m in the living room I want to swtich to the hdmi input (mac mini) and always have XBMC ready. That way I can retire my revo (bit slow). Maybe it's just not possible but it would a nice steup. Thanks for trying to help me guys.

RE: how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display - activate - 2012-12-30

(2012-12-09, 16:49)Dakurt71 Wrote: But when I start using the mac mini on the thunderbolt display I often loose the mouse (I mean I often ca't see it) unless a program (like mail) is running but when using the mac as pc the second window( for XBMC) often changes sizes or goes grey. Am I missing something? On my old windows pc this was never a problem as long as you kept the mouse one screen 1 It worked like a charm. Do I need to change some settings? Thx for any input

Did you find a solution for this ? I am interested to know if there is a workaround other than mission control.