Kodi Community Forum
Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] (/showthread.php?tid=148646)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - jack burton - 2013-04-21

(2013-04-21, 00:19)pootler Wrote: Wow! - a lot has happened since I last checked in.

Tried the latest rbej build with timeshift enabled.

Black screens seems a thing of the past Smile- although aspect ratio still seems wrong.

However, I can confirm that audio and video sync gradually is lost - there doesn't appear to be any definite circumstance.

I watched 1 hour with minimal sync loss one evening , then another program that lost sync within minutes?

Do other people experience this?

Thanks very much everybody for looking into these bugs - I am on the verge of dumping WMC.

pootler

I experienced sync loss on channel switching.
To restore sync i had to stop channel and then play again.
Aspect ratio is wrong on first installation, i had to set "force 16:9" on video menu and "apply to all video" to fix it.

I tried Rbej builds (Gotham, Frodo, ffmpeg 1 and 0.10) and latest official openelec release with same results, using of course tvheadend beta with timeshift enabled.

I didn't test yet cpu usage and long term stability.

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - 0nicram0 - 2013-04-21

(2013-04-21, 00:19)pootler Wrote: Do other people experience this?
Yes, I have the same issue. In addition to, i've sympton where hdmi signal disconnects from tv, like i'm unplugging and plugging hdmi cable again. This occours in various time, sometimes several times in a minute, and other i can watch a hour withour this sympton.

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - pootler - 2013-04-21

I sometimes also get the tv feed dropping out, and then reconnecting.

Not sure if this is the same as your symptoms 0nicram0?

It shows itself as ''pausing'' in the transport bar and then playing again.

This can be recognised because - in my funny set up - the subtitles are on by default, but if I disable them, when this drop out ( and drop in ) occurs. the subtitles will reappear again as if the channel has been freshly selected.

Am i alone with that one?

I recently used a usb drive ( as /storage ) and used turbo o/c ( dynamic), and this set up has reduced it a lot.

Problem with these 'tweaks' is you never really know for sure what is affecting what Wink - reminds me of me and my hackintosh!

The one thing I haven't checked - and wondered if anyone else has- is does the 'out of sync' audio appear in the recordings?, or is only with live tv?

It would be interesting to see if the backend recording is also out of sync.

pootler

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - serxx - 2013-04-21

(2013-04-21, 13:54)pootler Wrote: does the 'out of sync' audio appear in the recordings?, or is only with live tv?
It must be frontend problem. All recording is done by backend and that works. Only affected platform is Pi frontend.

PS! Aspect ratio is still wrong! And it's very annoying because it's not possible to make it right even manually. At least not on 5:4 LCD. But channel changes now almost always work with timeshift enabled - but it's just a workaround, not a solution. I hope someone can find the real problem and fix it. Otherwise some changes in the code (tvheadend, xbmc) might break the workaround and we are back on square one.

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - pootler - 2013-04-21

Take your point serxx- we are very much fishing.

To play devils advocate, I do wish that I'd known there was a problem with the pi and live tv BEFORE i bought the Pi!

The work done by the devs is wonderful and respect is due, but I do wonder whether the live tv facility on the Pi was checked satisfactorily before issuing the Pi distro claiming live tv was working? - or was it working when the initial distro was released?

Before I get any grief from a resentful dev - please take this in the spirit of constructive discussion it is meant Smile

many thanks

pootler

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - eHeij - 2013-04-22

I have tried several setups, the results here.

Setup 1
all on one RPI
TVHeadend with timeshift enabled
Frontend TVHeadend client
Frontend XBMC windows machine
Result - stuttering playback and audio out of sync

Setup 2
TVHeadend on linux ubuntu machine with timeshift enabled.
Result - perfect playback

Setup 3
TVHeadend on dedicated RPI with timeshift enabled.
Result - stuttering playback and audio out of sync

All installations with OPENelec 3.0.1 and Rbej version.

It seems like the performance of the RPI is also not enough.
When i only enable TVHeadend on Setup 2 on client the RPI, i also gets stuttering playback.

When i take a look the timeshift directory /storage/recordings there is a new directory "buffer" but with no files in it.
This directory is only created when i set timeshift with the "on demand" option, and hit pauze while playing.

My goal is to use one RPI as TVHeadend server and use a second one as client. i hope you guys find out where the problem is.

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - pootler - 2013-04-24

Post 2" '' tvheadend doesn't work due a decoder bug in the RPi firmware. You can use vdr as a temporary solution.''

O.k Gimli- for mere mortals like me with limited knowledge ( no linux box, able to add-on a zip file, can ssh , or sftp into openelec), how can I use vdr as a temporary solution?

Im sure that the reason why people like Tvheadend is because its built to be used by idiots like me.

But vdr - I still can not find any simple guide to install on openelec?

The furthest I have got is managing to install a precompiled zip for the backend and the add-on client.

What do I do then?

If anyone can link me to an article explaining this for dummies, can they please?

Most importantly, at least I can then see if it is working better than tvheadend.

Promise not to hi-jack this thread again Smile

pootler

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - navster - 2013-04-24

(2013-04-24, 01:10)pootler Wrote: Post 2" '' tvheadend doesn't work due a decoder bug in the RPi firmware. You can use vdr as a temporary solution.''

O.k Gimli- for mere mortals like me with limited knowledge ( no linux box, able to add-on a zip file, can ssh , or sftp into openelec), how can I use vdr as a temporary solution?

Im sure that the reason why people like Tvheadend is because its built to be used by idiots like me.

But vdr - I still can not find any simple guide to install on openelec?

The furthest I have got is managing to install a precompiled zip for the backend and the add-on client.

What do I do then?

If anyone can link me to an article explaining this for dummies, can they please?

Most importantly, at least I can then see if it is working better than tvheadend.

Promise not to hi-jack this thread again Smile

pootler

I am not sure whether you can install VDR on Openelec, as the OS is not really designed to be manipulated in this way but here is a guide on how to achieve this using Raspbmc which is not too far from Openelec:

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=6580

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - strikegun - 2013-04-25

Well, I am happy that Openelec 3.0.1 works much better with TVheadend now.
My config is:
- Tvheadend on an Ubuntu Server
- two RPis with Openelec 3.0.1

Runs fine at live TV.

But I have in every record the issue, that while playing the record the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds. This happens uncontrolled.
Playback of these records as MKV on a Workstations works well, without any issue.

Does anyone else has this problem aswell?

thx

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - pootler - 2013-04-25

Thanks for the link navster - appreciate your time.

Unfortunatelty, thats exactly the sort of complicated details i cant cope with! Smile

The opelelec tv site seems to mention vdr in a lot of its posts - but hey?

Anyway, as mentioned to avoid changing the thread subject, i shall drop this and continue looking myself.

thanks again

pootler

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - navster - 2013-04-26

@pootler what exactly are you trying to achieve and with what combination of software/hardware?

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - rbej - 2013-04-26

(2013-04-11, 11:43)PeaceMkr Wrote: rbej, did you add vnsi4 there? If yes i will first check charlies build and then try out yours.
Thank you very much

Please test it Vnsi 4 (Gotham Branch)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1406640#pid1406640

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - pootler - 2013-04-26

hi Navster,

I would like to have a reliable live tv on xbmc!

I want a one-box solution - backend and frontend both on Pi.

And not have to go through lots of computer work to get there!

Currently Tvheadend is not reliable enough - being a sound engineer the audio sync issue drives me mad Smile

So - i thought I'd try vdr on the Pi to see if it is any better?

Am now trying Geexbox because it has the vdr add-on by default.

Only problem is at the moment it doesn't recognise my hauppauge usb tuner Sad

hope to clear that up and get vdr working to see if it is any better than Tvheadend.

cheers

pootler

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - amanita - 2013-04-27

@PeaceMkr: Where I can find charlies build?

@pootler: Maybe you could copy the firmware of your Hauppauge device to /lib/firmware?

Hi,

I successfully tested Live TV on the RPI with the Gotham Branch (devel-20130418233639-r14054). I have used this vdr-addon 3.0.3 with a Hauppauge DVB-T receiver. Mostly it works very well for SDTV.

Aspect ratio is ok with 16:9 defaults. Also the audio/video sync looks fine with a good signal quality. There are some issues, but no lockups or freeze. VDR server and VNSI client should work on the RPI. CPU usage is about 40-60%. The USB port (OTG) is the most problematic issue. Altogether, it works more reliable than the other rbej builds.

So, thanks a lot for this work.

Hopefully the WIFI will work soon in the Gotham Branch, that would be nice.

Regards

Update: VNSI4 with the vdr-addon 3.0.3 didn't work for me with the latest Gotham Branch build (26-04-2013).

RE: Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server] - pootler - 2013-04-27

Hi amanita,

thanks for the info.

Yes I did use the latest firmware file but no luck - seems to be some driver conflict with the geexbox distro.

More importantly, you appear to have vdr working on openelec on the the Pi?

I can just about get to installing front and backends, but then I am lost Smile

How did you manage to scan channels? - I cannot find how to install w_scan or something similar?

Do the results of the scan go to /root/channel.conf - and is that all you need to do?

If you can bear to walk me through it - I would be very grateful Smile

Feels like I am close

cheers

pootler