Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 (/showthread.php?tid=152888)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - Birdincamera - 2013-10-17

scuse me for asking, but where is 'mikey's' repo

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - russcasey - 2013-10-27

(2013-10-17, 16:42)Birdincamera Wrote: scuse me for asking, but where is 'mikey's' repo

I wondered the same thing, and eventually found it here:
https://mikey1234-repo.googlecode.com/svn/addons/repository.mikey1234/repository.mikey1234-1.0.2.zip

Be warned though - it will show an advert, which I understand has been a bit controversial in the XBMC community (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171518&page=4 post #35). It may also impact any addons installed from the xbmchub repository.
These things didn't affect me (the ad is easily dismissed), and the new ITV player worked for me just fine. YMMV.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - allan87 - 2013-10-30

(2013-05-14, 11:23)eluSive_NZ Wrote: ...I launched ITV again and got into the the 3 options ITV Player ITV 1 Live and TV 4 Live. Surprisingly ITV4 Live worked, then so did ITV 1 Live, but launching ITV Player, I got script error...
This is because the ITV website is unable to determine that you are in the UK, and is prompting you for a UK postal code to validate your connection. Since XBMC is not providing the postal code, it errors out. This is a longstanding issue with the add-on.

WARNING! This add-on can hang your system requiring a hard power off - XBMCMBX - 2013-11-03

First off, let me tell you that the ITV Player part of this add-on flat out does not work. I was able to stream ITV1 live no problem but when I went to stream ITV4, the damned add-on hung my system forcing me to do a hard power off and power on. For the record, no other XBMC add-on, with the exception of Navi-X, or other app, for that matter, has EVER done this. My advice is to avoid this add-on at all costs. I would have uploaded the log but, of course, I had to restart XBMC after the cold reboot to do so and it was overwritten.

MBP running OS X 10.6.8

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-05

@eluSive_NZ: Errr- no.... There is no check on postcode. There is a geo-location check on your source IP address, so if you are NOT in the UK, you will need to use an anonymous HTTP proxy that IS based in the UK. Unfortunately, ITV also appear to not be distributing content to Akamai cache's outside the UK anymore either, so you will need to do some jiggery-pokery with your hosts file to make sure that you are using a cache in the UK. I can't help you with this.

@XBMCMBX: Thanks for the constructive criticism (NOT!). I can assure you that the ITV Player app works perfectly (with the caveats below). Maybe you are a) not in the UK, b) have a block on port 1935 somewhere ? c) using low memory/CPU device ? I've got PLENTY of plugins that in certain conditions cause XBMC to hang, especially on the RaspberryPI.

Also, the ITV1 and ITV4 live streams do work, but again they are geo-blocked. I have streams for ITV2 and ITV3 that I am trying to add, but they are proving more problematic.

Issues that I AM aware of:

- Some programmes show the wrong number of "free" episodes (usually one more than there actually is). I'm trying to find a more stable source or programmes to scrape.

- Anything behind the paywall is not available. I've thought about adding this, but the potential for someone to run-up a huge bill and then blame the app is just too high. Plus there would be all the hassle of dealing with credit card numbers, etc

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - allan87 - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-05, 20:38)dlake02 Wrote: Errr- no.... There is no check on postcode. There is a geo-location check on your source IP address, so if you are NOT in the UK, you will need to use an anonymous HTTP proxy that IS based in the UK.
Errr-yes…. Image

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - XBMCMBX - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-05, 20:38)dlake02 Wrote: @XBMCMBX: Thanks for the constructive criticism (NOT!).

Certainly you don't expect anyone to be constructive when your bloody add-on crashes their computer. You weren't expecting a 'thank you' were you?

Quote:I can assure you that the ITV Player app works perfectly (with the caveats below). Maybe you are a) not in the UK, b) have a block on port 1935 somewhere ? c) using low memory/CPU device ?

Thanks for the assurance. Maybe you didn't read my OP?
Quote:I was able to stream ITV1 live no problem
so none of the above applies. Well actually, a) applies. I am using tunlr. BTW iPlayer works just fine for online programs, just not for live channels, but at least they do not crash either XBMC or my computer. 4oD worked fine until its demise. So it is definitely your add-on.

Quote:I've got PLENTY of plugins that in certain conditions cause XBMC to hang, especially on the RaspberryPI.
OK well, first of all there's a huge difference between XBMC hanging and the system hanging. And we're not talking about some limited piece of hardware with a limited OS and an experimental version of XBMC. This is on a well-established piece of hardware with a well-established OS and a longstanding version of XBMC.

In any case, I think it is reasonable for any user not to expect any add-on to crash their computer.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - thebearnecessit - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-03, 23:20)XBMCMBX Wrote: Certainly you don't expect anyone to be constructive when your bloody add-on crashes their computer. You weren't expecting a 'thank you' were you?

This made me laugh.

The answer to your question is yes. You are expected to be constructive and even polite when a free community-created addon crashes your computer. The person you are being rude and aggressive with has created this addon voluntarily in their own time, and didn't need to share it with anyone.

you talk about your computer crashing as if its some great catastrophe. by the way, it isn't. and it happens.

anyway i dont think you are really getting how this whole situation works. so i'll leave it to others

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - allan87 - 2013-11-05

Yeah… XBMCMBX, you are being rude and aggressive. Computers are complicated. Saying that the addon "flat out does not work" and to "avoid this add-on at all costs" on the strength on a single freeze is just hyperbole, and the information you have provided hardly demonstrates that the addon is solely responsible for your freeze, even if it may have contributed to it.

BTW, since you are on OS X, XBMC events (and events that may be relevant to a system freeze) are written to the system log and other logs you can access in Console.app, which logs are not overwritten on a reboot.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - XBMCMBX - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-05, 20:50)allan87 Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 20:38)dlake02 Wrote: Errr- no.... There is no check on postcode. There is a geo-location check on your source IP address, so if you are NOT in the UK, you will need to use an anonymous HTTP proxy that IS based in the UK.
Errr-yes…. Image

Yes, I agree. I have no problem logging in or viewing shows at the online iTV site using tunlr. I just give any postcode and it works. Why can't there be a setting that allows you to enter your postcode and account info?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-06

@XBMCMBX.

I think you need to calm down a little. I have the plugin working fine on the most recent versions of XBMC on Windows, Android, OSX, RaspberryPI. But there are some things you need to understand.

1) There is no requirement when using the plugin to enter a postcode. The web-based ITV Player system has this, but ALL the programmes are available without entering a postcode. So, there is no need to include this in the app; if that changes in the future, I can assure you that I will add it. If I don't, I will have my son and Sooty to answer to.

2) I suspect that the reason that the ITV Player streams are not working is because Tunlr is getting in the way. This could be for any one of a number of reasons:

2a) You could have RTMP blocked by either your ISP or some IXP between the content location and your system

2b) Tunlr may be resolving the DNS request for the content to a cache outside the UK (ITV/Akamai no longer globally distribute content to all their CDNs. Some broadcasters (eg France Television) have an iptables-like implementation on their CDNs so that both destination and SOURCE IP address have to be geo-located in France.)

2c) Tunlr may be passing your source IP as part of the request.

3) Nothing about XBMC is "production grade." It is user-contributed code, written for free, supported for free. There are bugs. Loads of them. If you find one and have the skills, please contribute a fix. If not, please help us by submitting a bug request with information. If you are looking for production grade code, YouView, Sky, Freeview all offer service that you can pay for. Frankly, my recent experience of the nasty Chinese YouVeiw box TalkTalk "gave" me is much, much worse than XBMC - it has so far crashed 4 times in 2 weeks and the software quality/responsiveness is sh*te. I wonder where I go to complain about that Huh?

4) You are outside the UK. NONE of the UK content is LEGALLY available outside the UK, and you should not expect it to work. If it does, that is a bonus. You must appreciate that content owners are being far more litigious in their attempts to restrict access to THEIR content. Plus, some broadcasters (France Televisions, for example) geo-lock based not just on destination IP, but source IP as well on the CDN cache.

5) Conflating an experience on the website and XBMC is not helpful. The website app is flash-based and uses HDS streams. The XBMC app uses RTMP streams.

So, what to do.

Well, the fact that ITV1 live is playing tells me that you don't have an ACL blocking RTMP. Great. That's a start.

1) Find an ANONYMOUS HTTP PROXY. Ditch Tunlr. It's not going to work with XBMC. My advice ? Build your own on a VPS somewhere in the UK.

2) I cannot help you with the next bit; my advice is to compare the resolved DNS address of one of the RTMP streams when you use a DNS server in the UK when you start a stream. As you are on OSX, tail -f the xbmc.log file. Then consider /etc/hosts and make sure that your name resolution is what you'd expect it to be. Content WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE to CDNs geolocated outside the UK. Comprondez Huh??

Alternatively, use a FULL VPN. TBH, I've never had much luck with these as they throttle the bandwidth due to the smaller MTU and CPU overhead.

CUT AND PASTE a log file. I will try all I can to help. However, remember that it is illegal to watch content that has been geo-locked for a specific location and if you want to work around that, you will need to work that part out for yourself.

Let me know how you get on. If there are issues with the plugin, I will take a look and fix them. I am aware of two as I said before, but travelling on 14 international trips already this year (most outside the EU) leaves me with little time to get anything done. But I will fix them.

That is the ITV Player Website. There is NO check on postcode in the programme source that the app is using.

(2013-11-05, 20:50)allan87 Wrote:
Errr-yes…. Image

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - alibaba011 - 2013-11-06

As i am outside UK, i can confirm ITV player donot work with Tunlr dns in xbmc, only itv1 live can be access. This problem with tunlr dns had been discussed before. You should have no problem when using alternative dns such as unblockus.

If you are using Tunlr you have to manually put the zip code before accessing itv player in the website, but no zip code is necessary for Unblockus. I guess thats why Unblockus dns work with xbmc too.

As problem is with the dns ( accessing outside UK), no one should throw flame at OP. A plugin only can crash the xbmc program not an entire OS.

Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - allan87 - 2013-11-06

From canada, using unblockus, itvplayer errors out - itv1 and 4 play fine, but the recorded programs error out.

From a browser, however, you are prompted for a postal code. After entering the postal code, you can play the itv player programs - not only from the browser but also from XBMC.

I not a fan of these DNS masking sites (Unblockus, Tunlr, etc) as they really don't fix the problem which is your source IP address.

If you want to use a UK DNS server, build one on a VPS, run some kind of iptables entry to allow just your home IP addresses to access it, and you'll be returned UK sites for DNS look up (if you point your device to the DNS server). BUT, the SOURCE IP that packets originate with will be your real, home IP address.

So, if there is any administrative scoping going on (such as geo-blocking based on IP CIDR), then you're stuffed. The ONLY way around this is to originate packets with a valid, UK, IP address.

For HTTP, that's easy - just use a Squid proxy located on a UK VPS. Job done. For RTMP, less so. Luckily, as I've made VERY clear, there are ways around that given that only the HTTP traffic goes to and ITV website - everything else is back-ended to Akamai.

If you're in the UK, where you are supposed to be to watch this content, NONE of this is relevant. If you're NOT in the UK, a) you should not be watching this content, and b) you are probably handy-enough with Wireshark to figure out what is going on.......