Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 (/showthread.php?tid=152888)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - allan87 - 2013-11-06

It's pretty obvious what's going on. If the site can't identify your location, it prompts you for a postal code. IF you provide a code, it works. End of Story.

Nobody is, or has any right to, demand that you address this. There is no point being in denial about it, though.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-06

(2013-11-06, 19:20)allan87 Wrote: It's pretty obvious what's going on. If the site can't identify your location, it prompts you for a postal code. IF you provide a code, it works. End of Story.

Nobody is, or has any right to, demand that you address this. There is no point being in denial about it, though.

Actually, neither of us are totally correct !

Because of where I am at the moment, I've been able to test the ITV Player website a little more with Unblockus, Tunlr and my own UK proxy server. Note - this is JUST using the ITV Player on the web, NOT XBMC....

Results are interesting:

1) NO backdoor method. Straight "Programme not available in your region."

2) Tunlr and Unblockus. Can load programme from ITV Player, but pops a postcode check when you hit the play button.

3) HTTP Annoymous proxy. Works as if you were in the UK. No postcode prompt.

Interesting stuff....

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-06

So the plot thickens.

In the UK, the ITV app works fine for ITV Player, live ITV1, live ITV4. Outside the UK, with an HTTP Proxy, things break unless you work around the ITV geo-locking the On Demand streams. But ITV1 and ITV4 still work.

But something else came up. I noticed that rtmpdump is not able to do a SWFVfy on an HTTPS hosted swf player. If you are in the UK, that doesn't seem to matter - the stream works. But outside the UK, that breaks the player.

So, I changed the app. And now, outside the UK with a proxy, all works without having to work around the geolock.

But the LIVE streams have stopped working...... GROAN.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - VanZan - 2013-11-07

I think I sent you an email about all this but I was completely ignored.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-07

@VanZan - sorry 'bout that. I'm averaging about 500 emails a day right now, so it might be buried.

Anyway, there is something weird going on - travelling again now for the next four days so hopefully, I'll get a chance to investigate this a little more next week. Fingers crossed.

(2013-11-07, 00:36)dlake02 Wrote: @VanZan - sorry 'bout that. I'm averaging about 500 emails a day right now, so it might be buried.

Nah - just been through my XBMC.org Inbox, and the unless you are sevenofone as well, nothing from you ?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - munkeh - 2013-11-08

@dlake2. Cheers for all the work you've put in to this addon. I do, however, have a question or two..

Who is the owner/author/responsible for this addon? You or mikey1234? The reason I ask is that you have version 2.04 on your Google Project page, released under GNU GPL v3; mikey has the ad-supported version 2.09 on his repo, released under CC BY-NC-ND 3.0.

So, is this now a bizarre situation where you're breaching the no derivatives licence by continuing to work on code you wrote much/most of in the first place? Or is mikey in breach of your GPL licence by changing the licensing for his version?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - privado - 2013-11-08

I have to say been using a private uk http proxy and never experienced the problems as above.... Perhaps it targets known commercial ip's ?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-08

(2013-11-08, 00:13)munkeh Wrote: @dlake2. Cheers for all the work you've put in to this addon. I do, however, have a question or two..

Who is the owner/author/responsible for this addon? You or mikey1234? The reason I ask is that you have version 2.04 on your Google Project page, released under GNU GPL v3; mikey has the ad-supported version 2.09 on his repo, released under CC BY-NC-ND 3.0.

So, is this now a bizarre situation where you're breaching the no derivatives licence by continuing to work on code you wrote much/most of in the first place? Or is mikey in breach of your GPL licence by changing the licensing for his version?

2.0.4 and my Google Project page are out of date. Mikey1234 offered to host the plugin on his repo and I have RW access to it.

He made a few changes to my 2.0.8 (added the ITV1 and ITV4 live pages) and published as 2.0.9. Frankly, I'm not fussed at all about the licensing.... I just want a working plugin and a repo to host it on !

(2013-11-08, 00:19)privado Wrote: I have to say been using a private uk http proxy and never experienced the problems as above.... Perhaps it targets known commercial ip's ?

It's because people confuse DNS-masking systems (e.g. Tunlr, Unblockus) with proxies and VPNs.

But, the plugin is not bug-free - that I do know. For example, the "Agatha Christie's Poirot" is reporting 4 free episodes on the front page, but only giving 3 playable options.... And I only have ITV1 and ITV4 live.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - munkeh - 2013-11-08

Cheers for the clarification.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - VanZan - 2013-11-09

(2013-11-08, 00:39)dlake02 Wrote: 2.0.4 and my Google Project page are out of date. Mikey1234 offered to host the plugin on his repo and I have RW access to it.

He made a few changes to my 2.0.8 (added the ITV1 and ITV4 live pages) and published as 2.0.9. Frankly, I'm not fussed at all about the licensing.... I just want a working plugin and a repo to host it on !

Errr I'm still using your 1.10 dlake mate! Big Grin Mainly because I seem to be the only person on the planet unable to use Mikey's version with Tunlr. I keep mentioning it in the vain hope somebody might tell me what I'm doing wrong! Oh hang on...Mikey's version has ads? I'll stick with 1.10. Smile

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - privado - 2013-11-20

dlake I noticed mikeys version has been updated to fix the 1 episode error. Is it possible to integrate this into this version ?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - XBMCMBX - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-05, 21:16)thebearnecessit Wrote: you talk about your computer crashing as if its some great catastrophe. by the way, it isn't. and it happens.

Typical cavalier attitude of you fanboys. If you think that an app causing OS X to hang is normal and doesn't cause problems when you have to do a hard power off, you are a naive user and have a lot lower computing standards than I do. Obviously data loss, permissions corruptions, configuration corruptions, cache corruptions are not something anyone wants.

(2013-11-06, 02:10)dlake02 Wrote: @XBMCMBX.

I think you need to calm down a little. I have the plugin working fine on the most recent versions of XBMC on Windows, Android, OSX, RaspberryPI. But there are some things you need to understand.

1) There is no requirement when using the plugin to enter a postcode. The web-based ITV Player system has this, but ALL the programmes are available without entering a postcode. So, there is no need to include this in the app; if that changes in the future, I can assure you that I will add it. If I don't, I will have my son and Sooty to answer to.

2) I suspect that the reason that the ITV Player streams are not working is because Tunlr is getting in the way. This could be for any one of a number of reasons:

2a) You could have RTMP blocked by either your ISP or some IXP between the content location and your system

2b) Tunlr may be resolving the DNS request for the content to a cache outside the UK (ITV/Akamai no longer globally distribute content to all their CDNs. Some broadcasters (eg France Television) have an iptables-like implementation on their CDNs so that both destination and SOURCE IP address have to be geo-located in France.)

2c) Tunlr may be passing your source IP as part of the request.

3) Nothing about XBMC is "production grade." It is user-contributed code, written for free, supported for free. There are bugs. Loads of them. If you find one and have the skills, please contribute a fix. If not, please help us by submitting a bug request with information. If you are looking for production grade code, YouView, Sky, Freeview all offer service that you can pay for. Frankly, my recent experience of the nasty Chinese YouVeiw box TalkTalk "gave" me is much, much worse than XBMC - it has so far crashed 4 times in 2 weeks and the software quality/responsiveness is sh*te. I wonder where I go to complain about that Huh?

4) You are outside the UK. NONE of the UK content is LEGALLY available outside the UK, and you should not expect it to work. If it does, that is a bonus. You must appreciate that content owners are being far more litigious in their attempts to restrict access to THEIR content. Plus, some broadcasters (France Televisions, for example) geo-lock based not just on destination IP, but source IP as well on the CDN cache.

5) Conflating an experience on the website and XBMC is not helpful. The website app is flash-based and uses HDS streams. The XBMC app uses RTMP streams.

So, what to do.

Well, the fact that ITV1 live is playing tells me that you don't have an ACL blocking RTMP. Great. That's a start.

1) Find an ANONYMOUS HTTP PROXY. Ditch Tunlr. It's not going to work with XBMC. My advice ? Build your own on a VPS somewhere in the UK.

2) I cannot help you with the next bit; my advice is to compare the resolved DNS address of one of the RTMP streams when you use a DNS server in the UK when you start a stream. As you are on OSX, tail -f the xbmc.log file. Then consider /etc/hosts and make sure that your name resolution is what you'd expect it to be. Content WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE to CDNs geolocated outside the UK. Comprondez Huh??

Alternatively, use a FULL VPN. TBH, I've never had much luck with these as they throttle the bandwidth due to the smaller MTU and CPU overhead.

CUT AND PASTE a log file. I will try all I can to help. However, remember that it is illegal to watch content that has been geo-locked for a specific location and if you want to work around that, you will need to work that part out for yourself.

Let me know how you get on. If there are issues with the plugin, I will take a look and fix them. I am aware of two as I said before, but travelling on 14 international trips already this year (most outside the EU) leaves me with little time to get anything done. But I will fix them.

As I mentioned, I never had any problem with iPlayer or 4oD when using tunlr so none of the above apply.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - privado - 2013-11-28

Are we to assume this addon is now abandoned and Mikey's AD riddled version is the only version being updated ?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - munkeh - 2013-11-28

From what was said in post 158, it looks like Mikey's version is the only one and is being updated by both devs.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dlake02 - 2013-11-28

Both myself (dlake02) and Mikey are looking at the ITV plugin.

I'm looking to release a version some time next week - I have all four ITV channels live, but it's very flaky, and I can't work out why (it could be my location) which has cause some head-scratching here.