Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 (/showthread.php?tid=152888)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - chrissxuk - 2021-05-13

(2021-05-13, 18:35)YeahWhatever Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 17:06)chrissxuk Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 16:12)YeahWhatever Wrote: I'm installing from the zip file and it fails due to "invalid structure". Am I doing something wrong?
Which zip are you installing and on what version of Kodi?

3.0.2 from the latest link I could find in this thread - https://github.com/mcowell/catchup4kodi/raw/master/plugin.video.itv/release_3.0.2.zip

I have Leia (18.7).
It won't work on Leia it will only work on Matrix.

(2021-05-12, 21:56)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 20:25)dr_torch Wrote: Awesome.  I am glad the subtitles work better now.

You could be correct about the youview streams - you can try changing to "mobile" in the default.py (search for youview) and see if you get a different resolutions.  We are kind of at the mercy of what ITV agreed to deliver to youview at this point. There also may be other formats that I have not discovered yet.
Using mobile does produce a slightly different resolution, 896x504 vs youview which gives 720x576. It's also possible the bitrate is higher on the mobile feed, I seem to remember the old addon gave various options for bitrate. Perhaps a toggle could be added to settings so users could select between youview & mobile streams? Obviously with the mobile streams causing issues for some youview could be set as the default.
What is confusing me a little is 896x504 is surely best but when you watch with the 720x576 youview streams I see it as SD 576 yet the same program with the 896x504 (540?) mobile streams give me SD 540. I would have thought SD 576 was better than SD 540 but that's contradictory. 

On the issue of adaptive streams I always noticed previously that this add-on would start with a very poor quality picture but within a few seconds would noticeably improve. 

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - FXB78 - 2021-05-13

(2021-05-13, 19:30)chrissxuk Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 21:56)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 20:25)dr_torch Wrote: Awesome.  I am glad the subtitles work better now.

You could be correct about the youview streams - you can try changing to "mobile" in the default.py (search for youview) and see if you get a different resolutions.  We are kind of at the mercy of what ITV agreed to deliver to youview at this point. There also may be other formats that I have not discovered yet.
Using mobile does produce a slightly different resolution, 896x504 vs youview which gives 720x576. It's also possible the bitrate is higher on the mobile feed, I seem to remember the old addon gave various options for bitrate. Perhaps a toggle could be added to settings so users could select between youview & mobile streams? Obviously with the mobile streams causing issues for some youview could be set as the default.
What is confusing me a little is 896x504 is surely best but when you watch with the 720x576 youview streams I see it as SD 576 yet the same program with the 896x504 (540?) mobile streams give me SD 540. I would have thought SD 576 was better than SD 540 but that's contradictory. 
Well you could also argue that 896>720 so those would be superior Smile But the resolution in this instance is of little relevance really, the encoded bitrate of the 'mobile' streams is likely to be higher, which is why you see a cleaner image with less artifacts than that of the 'youview' feeds.

I think if we could default to 'youview' and have an option to use 'mobile' in settings it would give users a choice depending on their preference.

(2021-05-13, 19:36)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 19:30)chrissxuk Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 21:56)FXB78 Wrote: Using mobile does produce a slightly different resolution, 896x504 vs youview which gives 720x576. It's also possible the bitrate is higher on the mobile feed, I seem to remember the old addon gave various options for bitrate. Perhaps a toggle could be added to settings so users could select between youview & mobile streams? Obviously with the mobile streams causing issues for some youview could be set as the default.
Well you could also argue that 896>720 so those would be superior Smile But the resolution in this instance is of little relevance really, the encoded bitrate of the 'mobile' streams is likely to be higher, which is why you see a cleaner image with less artifacts than that of the 'youview' feeds.

I think if we could default to 'youview' and have an option to use 'mobile' in settings it would give users a choice depending on their preference.
Having had a closer look at this tonight I really don't think there is a significant difference between the two and neither are as good as this add-on was before, when I assume it used streams from the website. The stream always used to start a little fuzzy then kick in to something very watchable. Now it starts fuzzy and stays fuzzy. Maybe I've got used to HD as a bare minimum now and watch too much 4K.

I definitely get issues with the mobile streams as it can take numerous attempts to get a stream to load, although eventually it always does. Subtitles do not work either when using the mobile streams. 

Personally I can't see the point of offering the mobile stream as an option unless it's something simple to do. I do think it's disgraceful that in 2021 ITV Hub can't offer basic HD catch-up on all platforms, but then it's only relatively recent that they offered subtitles.

(2021-05-13, 20:36)chrissxuk Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 19:36)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 19:30)chrissxuk Wrote: What is confusing me a little is 896x504 is surely best but when you watch with the 720x576 youview streams I see it as SD 576 yet the same program with the 896x504 (540?) mobile streams give me SD 540. I would have thought SD 576 was better than SD 540 but that's contradictory. 

Having had a closer look at this tonight I really don't think there is a significant difference between the two and neither are as good as this add-on was before, when I assume it used streams from the website. The stream always used to start a little fuzzy then kick in to something very watchable. Now it starts fuzzy and stays fuzzy. Maybe I've got used to HD as a bare minimum now and watch too much 4K.

I definitely get issues with the mobile streams as it can take numerous attempts to get a stream to load, although eventually it always does. Subtitles do not work either when using the mobile streams. 
The mobile streams are the same as they were on the old addon, 896x504 50 fps, it's just your eyes that are deceiving you Smile
(2021-05-13, 19:30)chrissxuk Wrote: Personally I can't see the point of offering the mobile stream as an option unless it's something simple to do.
Maybe not for your use case, but for others who don't need subtitles & are not using any DNS trickery the option for better quality feeds is perfectly valid. It would only be a toggle in the settings so not any major reworking of the code.

(2021-05-13, 20:55)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 19:36)FXB78 Wrote: Well you could also argue that 896>720 so those would be superior Smile But the resolution in this instance is of little relevance really, the encoded bitrate of the 'mobile' streams is likely to be higher, which is why you see a cleaner image with less artifacts than that of the 'youview' feeds.

The mobile streams are the same as they were on the old addon, 896x504 50 fps, it's just your eyes that are deceiving you Smile
(2021-05-13, 19:30)chrissxuk Wrote: Personally I can't see the point of offering the mobile stream as an option unless it's something simple to do.
Maybe not for your use case, but for others who don't need subtitles & are not using any DNS trickery the option for better quality feeds is perfectly valid. It would only be a toggle in the settings so not any major reworking of the code.
There's nothing wrong with my eyes thank you.The streams now are considerably inferior to the original addon. The original addon used streams from dotcom not mobile. The difference between the mobile streams and the youview streams are so marginal it's a total waste of time trying to cater for both in my opinion. And DNS is totally irrelevant to quality of streams or subtitles.

(2021-05-13, 19:36)FXB78 Wrote: Well you could also argue that 896>720 so those would be superior Smile But the resolution in this instance is of little relevance really, the encoded bitrate of the 'mobile' streams is likely to be higher, which is why you see a cleaner image with less artifacts than that of the 'youview' feeds.

I just checked the original addon that still works in Leia provided you play streams before 28th April. There is no way the streams now, regardless of using mobile or youview, are anywhere near as good. Obviously there is some difference in the bitrate. It's all irrelevant anyway because it doesn't work anymore but I wanted to check because I did find your comment about my eyes rather offensive and patronising.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - lusephur - 2021-05-13

ITV website uses dash stream for catchup
Usually here
Code:
https://itvpnpdotcom.cdn1.content.itv.com

with a variable up to 720p video and audio too. It might be different for itv+ users although the advert stream is inserted from
Code:
toots-a.akamaihd.net
all the dominos pizza sponsership videos and onsite imagery comes from akamaihd as do the ident vids

(2021-05-13, 23:25)chrissxuk Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 20:36)chrissxuk Wrote: Having had a closer look at this tonight I really don't think there is a significant difference between the two and neither are as good as this add-on was before, when I assume it used streams from the website. The stream always used to start a little fuzzy then kick in to something very watchable. Now it starts fuzzy and stays fuzzy. Maybe I've got used to HD as a bare minimum now and watch too much 4K.

It's all irrelevant anyway because it doesn't work anymore but I wanted to check because I did find your comment about my eyes rather offensive and patronising.
Offensive and patronising... really? It's called a sense of humour, clearly it went over your head. I'll add you to the 'ignore' list as I don't want to offend you with any future attempts to lighten the mood. Cheers.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - YeahWhatever - 2021-05-14

(2021-05-13, 18:43)chrissxuk Wrote: It won't work on Leia it will only work on Matrix.

Okay, thanks. I'll carry on using Catch up & more then.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dr_torch - 2021-05-14

(2021-05-14, 14:19)YeahWhatever Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 18:43)chrissxuk Wrote: It won't work on Leia it will only work on Matrix.

Okay, thanks. I'll carry on using Catch up & more then.
Unfortunately I have not back ported to Kodi 18.  The latest version of Kodi uses a new version of python and it's not backwards compatible so the latest plugin will only work with Matrix.

If you have a bit of programming experience and like to tinker I can give you some ideas on how you may be able to fix the old version so that it will play the new streams.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - dr_torch - 2021-05-14

(2021-05-13, 23:42)lusephur Wrote: ITV website uses dash stream for catchup
Usually here
Code:

with a variable up to 720p video and audio too. It might be different for itv+ users although the advert stream is inserted from
Code:
toots-a.akamaihd.net
all the dominos pizza sponsership videos and onsite imagery comes from akamaihd as do the ident vids

Thanks for that info.  I suspected that the streams on the website were DASH streams.  However, they are DRM encrypted using Widevine.  Until I figure out a way to handle this with Kodi we cannot play these streams Sad

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - MikeKL - 2021-05-14

(2021-05-14, 17:34)dr_torch Wrote:
Usually here
Code:

Code:
toots-a.akamaihd.net

Thanks for that info.  I suspected that the streams on the website were DASH streams.  However, they are DRM encrypted using Widevine.  Until I figure out a way to handle this with Kodi we cannot play these streams Sad
I understand Widevine can be requested by a user to be installed on their devices as a dependancy of catchuptvandmore addon; in order for certain French channels to work due to DRM.
Maybe take a look and have conversation with developers of catchuptvandmore?

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - lusephur - 2021-05-14

Usually here
Code:

Code:
toots-a.akamaihd.net

at a guess I think the drm authorisation request is here
Code:
https://auth.prd.user.itv.com/token

developer console on firefox can sniff out most stream addresses see attached image

hope that helps.

RE: [RELEASE] ITV Player 1.10 - MikeKL - 2021-05-15

(2021-05-14, 17:49)MikeKL Wrote:
Usually here
Code:

Code:
toots-a.akamaihd.net

I understand Widevine can be requested by a user to be installed on their devices as a dependancy of catchuptvandmore addon; in order for certain French channels to work due to DRM.
Maybe take a look and have conversation with developers of catchuptvandmore?
By chance an example extract from Kodi.log, when catchuptvandmore suggested via inputstreamhelper an update to Widevine required, with user interaction/acceptance to update required files.

code:
2021-05-15 09:38:08.053 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] There is an update available for Chrome OS
2021-05-15 09:38:11.390 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Recursively create directory '/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.inputstreamhelper/temp/'.
2021-05-15 09:40:16.956 T:1198519168  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2021-05-15 09:40:16.956 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Downloading best ChromeOS image for Widevine: FIEVEL (13816.64.0)
2021-05-15 09:45:34.711 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Recursively create directory '/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.inputstreamhelper/backup/13816.64.0/'.
2021-05-15 09:45:35.177 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Delete file '/storage/.kodi/cdm/libwidevinecdm.so'.
2021-05-15 09:45:35.581 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Hardlink file '/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.inputstreamhelper/backup/13816.64.0/libwidevinecdm.so' to '/storage/.kodi/cdm/libwidevinecdm.so'.
2021-05-15 09:45:35.586 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Delete file '/storage/.kodi/cdm/config.json'.
2021-05-15 09:45:35.587 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Hardlink file '/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.inputstreamhelper/backup/13816.64.0/config.json' to '/storage/.kodi/cdm/config.json'.
2021-05-15 09:45:35.591 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Delete file '/storage/.kodi/cdm/recovery.json'.
2021-05-15 09:45:35.591 T:1198519168  NOTICE: [script.module.inputstreamhelper] Hardlink file '/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.inputstreamhelper/backup/13816.64.0/recovery.json' to '/storage/.kodi/cdm/recovery.json'.