Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=157499)

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - Robgue - 2014-01-01

Just wanted to say thank for this script. I've been using it for a while now. It's working well on a Windows box I have. Glad I can use a repo to update now too.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - numminorih - 2014-01-16

teeedubb good day. thx for addon
I have running XBMC 13 alpha on ubuntu 13.10.

I have some issues whith launc. In ubuntu session it works, but my htpc launch xbmc auto, I instal addon by "instal from zip" and when I run it, nothing to happens (just rolling "wait" in right corner).

I see you manual to use openbox, but, can you help me some manuals by usin default ubuntu desktop-session (asked it from sbmc session) to launch steam?

For example I use mednafen emulator (nes, sega), pcsx-reloaded, and rom manager for launch it, and it all runs from xbmc whitout openbox session.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-01-16

Have you made steam-laumch.sh executable? You can do so in the addon settings. You also need the program 'wmctrl' installed. If that doesn't solve it can you please post your debug log (wiki)

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - numminorih - 2014-01-16

teeedubb

With "steam-laumch.sh executable" and apt-get install wmctrl" - it's start to work, but whith one troubles. When I pressing "steam" leuncher from xbmc, his start to load, close XBMC, wfqn 1-2 stcond, then launch XBMC again and then start Steam....

Is it nirmal? For what this restarting befor steam start?
And one more, my xbmc gamepad continued to "clic" in XBMC (i lesten this from speakers) when i use Steam. Can you help me with it?

Thx

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-01-16

From the sounds of you're running xbmc as its own session, so if xbmc is terminated it restarts (is this correct?). The add on kills xbmc because I've had problems as with xbmc still accepting joypad input while steam is running, same as you, so that's why xbmc is restarting. You could try editing steam-launch.sh to not kill xbnc. The file is located in ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh.

Delete or comment out lines 5,6+7, and try again. Let me know how it goes.

thx for you support,I'm test commenting later, now I test other point on you addon).

I'm not understand why xbmc restarting befor steam is start? And whe my gamepad stil work in xbmc)
Or i done something wrong at install plugin?

thx again for help.

And one more, i have launch steam and whithout wmctrl (but now i instal this).

ADD If i'm not close steam, and chose "exit to workspace" I can't come back to steam from xbmc. Becose when i clicking Steam launcher from xbmc it show me steam by 1-2 second end then reload XBMC whith focus XBMC.....(

I think wmctrl in script doesn't work/// but maybe I'm wrong....

When i start game in steam launched from xbmc, it print "preparation game start" and the againe steam but whit updated game^ "steam cloud synchronixed"

It's ok, it issues amd and linux))

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-01-17

Are you running xbmc as its own session?

I've tried running steam bpm over a xbmc xsession with the fllowing command:

DISPLAY=:0 steam -bigpicture

and it gave me nothing but problems, blank screens, games only taking up 1/4 of the screen and xbmc gaining focus and still being controlled, I'm guessing steam needs a window manager to work properly.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - Zxurian - 2014-01-26

Greetings,

I just got invited to the Steam In-Home Streaming beta, and I'm hoping to use your addon to facilitate streaming to my xbmc box.

I installed steam through gdebi, and installed your addon, however when I goto run the addon, it just says "buffering", but doesn't actually do anything. I can press keys on the remote, and her the GUI sounds, but nothing else actually does anything.

Here's the log I got when trying to run the addon
Code:
21:03:34 T:3008022336   DEBUG: OnKey: 11 (0b) pressed, action is Select
21:03:34 T:3008022336    INFO: initializing python engine.
21:03:34 T:3008022336   DEBUG: new python thread created. id=11
21:03:34 T:2594167616  NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
21:03:34 T:2594167616   DEBUG: Python thread: start processing
21:03:34 T:2594167616  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
21:03:34 T:2594167616   DEBUG: Process - The source file to load is /home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.steam.launcher/default.py
21:03:34 T:2594167616   DEBUG: Process - Setting the Python path to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.steam.launcher:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.xbmcswift/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.cryptopy/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.chardet/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.simplejson/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.beautifulsoup/lib:/usr/share/xbmc/addons/script.module.pil/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.common.plugin.cache/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.simple.downloader/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.requests/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.mechanize/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.parsedom/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.elementtree/lib:/usr/lib/python2.7:/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2:/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk:/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old:/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL:/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0:
21:03:34 T:2594167616   DEBUG: Process - Entering source directory /home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.steam.launcher
21:03:34 T:2594167616   DEBUG: Instantiating addon using automatically obtained id of "script.steam.launcher" dependent on version 2.1.0 of the xbmc.python api
21:03:34 T:2594167616  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Loading sqlite3 as DB engine
21:03:34 T:2594167616    INFO: Scriptresult: Success
21:03:34 T:3008022336   DEBUG: Activating window ID: 10138
21:03:34 T:3008022336   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
21:03:34 T:2594167616    INFO: Python script stopped
21:03:34 T:2594167616   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 2594167616 terminating
21:03:34 T:3008022336   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 11 (/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.steam.launcher/default.py) to stop
21:03:34 T:3008022336   DEBUG: python thread 11 (/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.steam.launcher/default.py) destructed
21:03:44 T:2940791616   DEBUG: Suspended the Sink
21:03:45 T:3008022336    INFO: CheckIdle - Closing session to http://www.google.com (easy=0xc633d28, multi=(nil))

I viewed the post with the note xbout XBMCBuntu users, however the walkthrough you provided looks like it was for openbox.
Is there a simliar series of commands I should run for my XBMCBuntu box?

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-01-26

Sounds like you havent made the steam-launch script executable, you can do so via the addons settings.

As for running steam bpm in a xbmc session it wont work, steam bpm needs a window manager. Also this addon isnt designed to run in a xbmc session and will cause problems. You can try for yourself using the command in the post above yours.

Xbmcbuntu contains the openbox desktop - exit xbmc and select openbox from the login screen and then your htpc wll boot into openbox, you can return to the login screen by logging out of openbox.

EDIT: you also need 'wmctrl' installed, this info was accidentally removed from the first post, but Ive readded it.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - Zxurian - 2014-01-26

(2014-01-26, 05:38)teeedubb Wrote: Sounds like you havent made the steam-launch script executable, you can do so via the addons settings.

As for running steam bpm in a xbmcbuntu session it wont work, steam bpm needs a window manager. Also this addon isnt designed to run in a xbmcbuntu session and will cause problems. You can try for yourself using the command in the post above yours.

Xbmcbuntu contains the openbox desktop - exit xbmc and select openbox from the login screen and then your htpc wll boot into openbox, you can return to the login screen by logging out of xbmcbuntu.

EDIT: you also need 'wmctrl' installed, this info was accidentally removed from the first post, but Ive readded it.

thanks. it's successfully launching Steam BPM now.

Now I just have to get steam to recognize my wired internet.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-01-27

Does xbmc see your wired connection? Are you talking about the network setup screen in steam? That doesn't detect my wired network but everything works fine, I think xbmcbuntu/minimal ubuntu doesn't have the program that steam requires for that to work.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - hunter2 - 2014-01-27

I quite like this addon - quick, effective. However, I am running into a bit of a minor problem, I like to keep steam constantly running (automatically downloading games, some friends I only have on steam, etc.) and I know that this script works by detecting when steam.exe is killed. Would there be any way, to say, launch steam in "-silent" (into tray) mode after XBMC is reopened? I'm not too familiar with autohotkey scripting yet.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-01-27

Old versions would monitor steam.exe but new versions monitor the ste BPM window class, so if you 'return to desktop' instead of 'quitting' steam, steam desktop mode will still be running in the background.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - Samyr - 2014-01-30

Hi teeedubb! I just installed your addon for the first time, and I'm having some trouble. When I run it, "Working" comes up in the bottom right corner, and it stalls like this without opening Steam. It stays like this indefinitely until I exit XBMC. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with my xbmc and steam installs located in the usual c:\program files (x86)\ places. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!