Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=157499)

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - dkplayaclub - 2014-02-06

Great work teeedubb !!! I am very impressed with this addon and the support you provide.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - davew_uk - 2014-02-07

Is there any chance to include an option to start Steam in normal desktop mode and not Big Picture mode?

I'm using my HTPC as a Home Streaming client (which works really well) but Big Picture mode is slow and glitchy. I've already edited the AHK script to do it this way myself but I'd like to keep up to date with the latest developments as you seem to be doing a lot of work to improve the add-on and I'm stuck with a much older version.

Kind regards
Dave

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-02-07

New version in first post, 0.9.7
Quote:Checks for script updates and notifies user.

(2014-02-07, 11:26)davew_uk Wrote: Is there any chance to include an option to start Steam in normal desktop mode and not Big Picture mode?

I'm using my HTPC as a Home Streaming client (which works really well) but Big Picture mode is slow and glitchy. I've already edited the AHK script to do it this way myself but I'd like to keep up to date with the latest developments as you seem to be doing a lot of work to improve the add-on and I'm stuck with a much older version.

Kind regards
Dave

Maybe... it would be a fair bit of work plus added complexity. Eg, with the current method, if steam dm is opened, then bpm mode is started - xbmc will then restart, and both xbmc and steam bpm will be open. I think the only way to reliably do this would be to watch the steam executable.

EDIT: in home streaming also launches bpm so the only way to do this would be monitoring the steam process

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - themoddingden - 2014-02-09

Hi;
Thank you for your hard work.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - thoorm - 2014-02-10

Thank you for your work teedubb.

I am using XBMC on my Mac Mini, and unfortunately, your case switch statement does not work for OSX.
I have been tweaking it a bit and managed to get it working(while running the script outside XBMC and with Advanced Launcher), however not with your add-on.

Also, if Steam is already running, it will give me an error message saying another instance is already running, so somehow the "$STEAM_LOCATION steam://open/bigpicture" does not work.

I have also commented out the while loop as I currently would like to have XBMC going in the background. (I may change this though, if I see my Steam In Home Stream gaming lagging)

Here is what I have so far:

XBMC_PID=$(ps -A | grep XBMC.app | grep -v Helper | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}')
XBMC_BIN=$(ps -A | grep XBMC.app | grep -v Helper | grep -v grep | awk '{print $4}')
STEAM_PID=$(ps -A | grep Steam.app | grep -v Helper | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}')
STEAM_BIN=$(ps -A | grep Steam.app | grep -v Helper | grep -v grep | awk '{print $4}')
STEAM_LOCATION=/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steam.sh
XBMC_LOCATION=/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
# Is Steam running?
if [ $STEAM_PID ];
then
$STEAM_LOCATION steam://open/bigpicture #steam is brought to focus better this way # Does not work!
echo "Steam already running"
else
echo "Steam not running, launching"
# kill $XBMC_PID
$STEAM_LOCATION -bigpicture
fi
# Wait for Steam to exit
# while [ $STEAM_PID ];
# do
# echo "Steam running"
# sleep 1
# done
# $XBMC_LOCATION &
#

As you can see, I haven't changed that much in your code (only OSX default application location and a minor change of awk command regarding the PID(from $5 to $4))
Again thank you for this add-on, and I hope this will be of some help to others.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-02-10

Thanks for the info, I dont have a mac to test on (installing 2 different images in VirtualBox has failed so far Sad)so the mac code was borrowed from Rom Collection Browser/Arcade browser (that reminds me, I need to re-add the credits).

I'll update the script with your info. Also, does the case statement give you a error when run via command line?

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - thoorm - 2014-02-10

Hm, have you tried follow the Tony Mac OSX guide? (Im not sure if Im allowed to link the page, but its the first hit in google)

Also, the case statement is working per se(uname -s will give me Darwin), its just that when grepping for the processes, OSX needs it to be case sensitive.
Trying to run steam-launch.sh directly in terminal does work, however trying to launch it from XBMC gives me just a loading icon and then nothing.

If I get some time later today I will try to debug it some more.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-02-15

I gave up on osx in a vm and setup a hackintosh and have gotten the addon to work in 10.8. In osx it looks like steam dm and bpm have the same window name and I dont know how to differentiate between the two modes, so xbmc will only restart after quiting steam completely.

Quote:OSX now working, although xbmc will only restart after quitting steam completely.
Option to disable program file checks
Small changes.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - wolfodeiwolfy - 2014-02-15

Hi, I've just updated from 0.5.2 to 0.9.8 and it doesn't work. Steam bpm doesn't launch (add-on settings are correct).

The only version that works is 0.5.2 so I reinstall it.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - yellowjacket - 2014-02-15

The automatic update to 0.9.8 broke Steam Launcher on my Windows 7 install as well. Reverting to 0.9.7 fixed the problem for me. I haven't had time to look into the problem other than glancing at the log files, which only show the add-on thread starting and then terminating. On-screen, the "working" dialog in XBMC pops up for a few seconds then closes. XBMC isn't terminated and steam isn't launched. The behavior is the same whether steam is already running in the background or hasn't been started.

I'll dig into it a bit more later today and see if I can isolate the problem.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - dkplayaclub - 2014-02-15

Same here. 0.9.8 no longer works for me.
How can I roll back to 0.9.7?

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - teeedubb - 2014-02-15

In the add on information via system > addons... Ill have a look to see what the problem could be.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within XBMC - dkplayaclub - 2014-02-15

The rollback option is greyed out and the original post does not have links for the newer versions, which is why I was asking.

https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbmc-repo/blob/master/script.steam.launcher/script.steam.launcher-0.9.7.zip?raw=true

Thanks teedubb. Hope you figure the bug out. I have been using this addeon non-stop since I discovered it.