Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=157499)

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2015-01-14

@Scondo Nice, thanks for sharing. I've though about something similar with power savings in kodi, but I have no need for it and havent gotten around t adding it.

@binderjeep does the problem occour if you run steam not from within kodi? Could be a gpu driver issue, also try the steam beta client.

@Dark_Slayer I havent used either Kino Console and/or Limelight but they sound interesting - Im f the same frame of mind as you, Im thinking about turning the gaming htpc into a gaming server to replace my exisiting server and getting a low powered pc to use as a front end.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - Dark_Slayer - 2015-01-14

(2015-01-14, 09:25)teeedubb Wrote: @Dark_Slayer I havent used either Kino Console and/or Limelight but they sound interesting - Im f the same frame of mind as you, Im thinking about turning the gaming htpc into a gaming server to replace my exisiting server and getting a low powered pc to use as a front end.

Well, I haven't tried Kino yet, but I installed Limelight and WOW was it easy

I setup my previously OE 5 intel G1610 (16GB USB Flash boot drive) with Kodibuntu/Steam per your instructions post. Total time spent was about 1hr, but over 20 minutes of that was me scratching my head and not understanding that I was booting to Lubuntu instead of Openbox. Another 20 minutes or so was a combination of research and not realizing that the user name was kodibuntu instead of the user name I entered at the login screen (so I drudged up a keyboard/mouse and only got to use SSH towards the end after realizing what the correct username was)

It works nice, sleeps/resumes, idles around 12W (using a picoPSU) and hovers around 16W during playback/streaming.

After just going through everything, I didn't spot much to modify on your Kodibuntu+Steam post . . . just a couple things
Code:
sudo mv /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop.dis /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop

The actual location is now /usr/share/xsessions/hidden/openbox.desktop.dis

And
Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/openbox/ && echo "export DISPLAY=:0" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Would be fine without the export Display=:0 portion (as leetpeet showed me, after copying his autostart I had a blackscreen with just the xsetroot portion)

Also, there's the /usr/bin/xbmc portion that should simply change xbmc to kodi, so all in all it should work with
Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/openbox/ && echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/kodi &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

----------------------------------
Now to the nexus player Big Grin

Setup took about 5 minutes :p though not perfect yet ~ flashing ring of death on x360 controller

Limelight is actually already "leanback" ready, so it installs right from the play store. If you have a USB OTG cable, you can plug in the wireless 360 controller and limelight picks it up just fine (not tried bluetooth yet)

Aside -- since the NP supports HDMI-CEC, I'm going to end up rooting it and mapping a PS3 dualshock to it with the sixaxis app. This f's up the standard remote since the old PS3 controllers need some kind of bizarre bluetooth mod, but as I'm using the TV remote through CEC (or Yatse) I can live without the low-quality Asus remote anyway (at least until someone brilliant integrates the voice search / commands)

Onto the more interesting . . . . Limelight works through the Nvidia Game Stream protocol, though they must have reverse engineered it and made it work 100x better than the shield's built-in capability. I don't have a huge steam library (only 13 games) but I have all the batmans for example. On Geforce's "Approved Game List" only Arkham City and Arkham Origins are supported. However, not only does Limelight pick up Asylum, it adds "Steam" as well so you can just launch Steam BPM for any games it doesn't "scan" for you.

The default "GeForce Experience" game scan kind of sucks since it only supports their "approved game list" and if you are using Limelight you can just skip this altogether because Limelight's scan is much better. Then there's essentially Steam BPM sitting in there if that's what you prefer as well. I just played Crysis 3 and Mirror's Edge on my Nexus Player Big Grin Just to test a little, since I already had a USB OTG cable I went with the X360 wireless controller and still had the flashing ring of death

Between Kodi and Limelight already both supporting "Leanback" and showing up in the stock launcher "Apps" section, there's not much more to ask out of the thing. Also, Kodi can launch limelight, and I get cast built in

Kind of in an Android Nirvana right now, plus it uses 5W or less

Downside to limelight is the Nvidia requirement, but Kino may be a possibility if that's your predicament

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - Scondo - 2015-01-17

Well, I thought suspending audio (may be with busy dialog for all time Steam launched) could be used for many cases like KodiLauncher.

Still need to test on Linux anyway before I made pull request...
*yet there is tiny one from me that is pretty obvious

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2015-01-18

I've been really busy this week so I haven't had a chance to look at it on anything bigger than my phone, but hopefully I'll have some time this week to push out a new version. Keeping the busy dialog on screen is a good idea too - it should stop any power saving in kodi and prevent the system shutting down. Also suspending audio even when quitting kodi could be something to add - if I have my avr on with wasapi enabled the intro of steam stutters a little bit due to the slight overlap of both programs running. And thanks for the fix Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - suheyl - 2015-01-19

Hi!

I run Kodibuntu and I've installed Steam and Steam Launcher. When I start Steam Launcher Kodi is shutdown, Steam is being started and then Kodi restarts itself.
When I minimize my Kodi screen with my remote I see Steam is on the welcome screen, where I can select my language. However, my keyboard is not working anymore. I have to reboot (or probably kill Steam) to be able to use the keyboard again.

This is the Kodi log-file after starting Steam:

18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: ****Running Steam-Launcher v3.0.4....
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: running on osAndroid, osOsx, osLinux, osWin: 0 0 1 0
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: System text encoding in use: UTF-8
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: usr scripts are set to be checked for updates...
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: usr scripts are not set to be deleted, running version check
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: sys "steam.launcher.script.revision=": 014
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: usr "steam.launcher.script.revision=": 014
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: userdata script are up to date
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: skipping deleting userdata scripts, option disabled: delUserScriptSett = false
18:36:41 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: script file already exists, skipping copy to userdata: /home/suheyl/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: running program file check, option is enabled: filePathCheck = true
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: Steam executable existis /usr/games/steam
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: Xbmc executable existis /usr/bin/kodi
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: pre steam script: /home/suheyl/pre-steam.sh
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: post steam script: /home/suheyl/post-steam.sh
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: quit setting selected: 0
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: attempting to launch: "/home/suheyl/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh" "/usr/games/steam" "/usr/bin/kodi" "0" "true" "/home/suheyl/pre-steam.sh" "/home/suheyl/post-steam.sh"
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: "/home/suheyl/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh" "/usr/games/steam" "/usr/bin/kodi" "0" "true" "/home/suheyl/pre-steam.sh" "/home/suheyl/post-steam.sh"
18:36:42 T:139971096733440 NOTICE: script.steam.launcher: busy dialog started
18:36:46 T:139974108239616 ERROR: JSONRPC Server: Accept of new connection failed: 22

And then Kodi restarts

Any solution?

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2015-01-19

Are you running kodi/steam with a window manager? What's the output of

DISPLAY=:0 wmctrl -l

Via ssh?

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - suheyl - 2015-01-19

Hi Teedubb,

The output is this:

Cannot get client list properties.
(_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)

That's not ok, I guess :-)

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2015-01-20

Yeah You need a window manager, first post has a link to to this with xbmxbuntu, I haven't updated it for kodibuntu, but you should be able to swap xbmc for kodi. Someone posted some other additional changes to the how to that are required a few posts up.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - suheyl - 2015-01-20

(2015-01-20, 03:06)teeedubb Wrote: Yeah You need a window manager, first post has a link to to this with xbmxbuntu, I haven't updated it for kodibuntu, but you should be able to swap xbmc for kodi. Someone posted some other additional changes to the how to that are required a few posts up.

Is it this one? Because I did that one...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=157499&pid=1706466#pid1706466

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - johnodon - 2015-01-21

(2015-01-14, 15:35)Dark_Slayer Wrote:
(2015-01-14, 09:25)teeedubb Wrote: @Dark_Slayer I havent used either Kino Console and/or Limelight but they sound interesting - Im f the same frame of mind as you, Im thinking about turning the gaming htpc into a gaming server to replace my exisiting server and getting a low powered pc to use as a front end.

Well, I haven't tried Kino yet, but I installed Limelight and WOW was it easy

I setup my previously OE 5 intel G1610 (16GB USB Flash boot drive) with Kodibuntu/Steam per your instructions post. Total time spent was about 1hr, but over 20 minutes of that was me scratching my head and not understanding that I was booting to Lubuntu instead of Openbox. Another 20 minutes or so was a combination of research and not realizing that the user name was kodibuntu instead of the user name I entered at the login screen (so I drudged up a keyboard/mouse and only got to use SSH towards the end after realizing what the correct username was)

It works nice, sleeps/resumes, idles around 12W (using a picoPSU) and hovers around 16W during playback/streaming.

After just going through everything, I didn't spot much to modify on your Kodibuntu+Steam post . . . just a couple things
Code:
sudo mv /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop.dis /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop

The actual location is now /usr/share/xsessions/hidden/openbox.desktop.dis

And
Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/openbox/ && echo "export DISPLAY=:0" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Would be fine without the export Display=:0 portion (as leetpeet showed me, after copying his autostart I had a blackscreen with just the xsetroot portion)

Also, there's the /usr/bin/xbmc portion that should simply change xbmc to kodi, so all in all it should work with
Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/openbox/ && echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/kodi &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Thanks for these updates DS.

Question...how do you get back to a visible Lubuntu desktop if needed? I need to connect to a different WIFI network and only know how to do it from the desktop.

John

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - johnodon - 2015-01-21

NM...figured out a way...

Exit Kodi
Right click and select Terminal
openbox --exit

This brought me back to a login screen.

John

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2015-01-21

@suheyl the openbox session is being loaded, are you able to select it from the login screen if you exit kodi? If not try what is i. darkslayers quoted post above.

@johnodon if you added the open box right click menu from the guide you should be able to exit ooen box via the right click menu.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - suheyl - 2015-01-21

@ teedubb --> I followed your steps again yesterday. After command "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install wmctrl" I saw a recommendation to remove two objects because they were not necessary according to Ubuntu. I removed them. Suddenly my TV died... No hardware prestent... I reinstalled my drivers, but this did not solve the problem.
I'm goint to do a fresh installation tonight. So it might solve my issue to. Thanks for your help though!

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - teeedubb - 2015-01-23

v3.1.0 in first post:
Quote: Added option to suspend audio + fixed dual string id's - thanks Scondo!
Setting Busy Dialog to 0 will disable it.
Updated French translations.
I wanted to add a option to disable Kodi's shutdown timer but it looks to be easier to use a json command with the pre/post scripts/ The json string to use is {"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Settings.SetSettingValue","params":{"setting":"powermanagement.shutdowntime","value":0},"id":1}' . Chane value: to enable/disable the idle timer.

RE: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi - suheyl - 2015-01-23

@ Teeedubb --> I did a fresh install of Kodibuntu. Somehow my tuners really died....

But I managed to install Steam and your launcher. I started Steamlauncher and I got a terminal where I had to fill in my Ubuntu password. Then Steam started installing.
After that I got the welcome screen where I can set my country settings. But my keyboard, the one which I used to fill up my password, did not work anymore. I stilll could use my mouse which uses the same bluetooth receiver. After clicking the right settings I got to the logon screen of Steam. Still no keyboard, so I'm kinda stuck here...