Kodi Community Forum
Music library main view - How to display album info? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Music library main view - How to display album info? (/showthread.php?tid=159488)

Music library main view - How to display album info? - slizzap - 2013-03-17

When I go into Music from the main menu, it goes to my Album view. I have all my albums sorted in this manner:
Artist0001 - Album01
Artist0001 - Album02
Artist0001 - Album03
Artist0002 - Album01
Artist0003 - Album01

Here's a picture of this view -

All of my MP3s are properly tagged and have embedded cover art, which all displays properly when I enter in the folder of the given album. For example:

How can I get the root album view to display album information when the album is selected without actually having to go into that folder? Using Photoshop I created a mockup of how I would like the main Music page to look like:

I know I can create a cover art image named "folder.jpg" and drop it in the folder for the applicable album, and it displays the cover art properly, but there's still no album information. And I'd like it to at least show the Artist, Album, and Year.

Is this a skin issue? Are there any skins out there that display it in this manner? Or would I have to create my own skin for this to work? Or is there just a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

RE: Music library main view - How to display album info? - slizzap - 2013-06-07

Giving my thread a bump since I'm rebuilding my HTPC build and would like to implement this.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how? Would I need to create my own skin?

TIA.

RE: Music library main view - How to display album info? - scott967 - 2013-06-07

I think the concept is to add that source into the music library to get that style of view. Files view doesn't extract tag data to create an album. When you scrape in the library scrapers get additional artist and album info.

scott s.

RE: Music library main view - How to display album info? - slizzap - 2013-06-07

(2013-06-07, 02:59)scott967 Wrote: I think the concept is to add that source into the music library to get that style of view. Files view doesn't extract tag data to create an album. When you scrape in the library scrapers get additional artist and album info.

scott s.

It's been a while since I played around with the different views, so I spent some time going through the Library mode and its views. I see what you're saying, but after sifting through the views I remember that the main reason I'm stuck on Files view is because I just don't like any of the Library views. I have my music collection organized exactly as I like, and I'd like the view to match that...hence the files view. When I change to Library view there are tons of views, but none of them that I like or are useful to me. "Artists" is annoying to me because I have lots of singles, compilations, and collaboration CDs...there's a shitload of artists that I may not be familiar with. "Albums" is annoying to me for pretty much the same reason, and also because I'm not always going to remember an album name of any given artist).

I guess this just makes me realize that what I want is a "Files view" in Library mode. Then I'd be able to view them exactly as I have them organized, and then at the very least it would contain the cover images without any special work, and potentially the ability to pull extra information like in my Photoshopped 3rd image above. I guess this just brings up the main question of whether this is something I should put in as a feature request, or if it's something I could do on my own my creating my own skin...albeit with lots of research.

RE: Music library main view - How to display album info? - Kib - 2013-06-07

You could ask the creator of your favourite skin if he wants to add this in the skin development thread.
You could also modify an existing library view from your favourite skin - i would pick a view which is close to what you want to achieve.