Kodi Community Forum
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's (/showthread.php?tid=161793)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: GK802/Hi802 - wolfgar - 2013-07-19

(2013-07-19, 02:28)Pulento Wrote: No problem. I compiled a Kernel from your repo; will test it later though and report back.
ok no problem, I have just pushed last commits which were still local on my host...

Quote:I'm a complete newbie on Yocto didn't know about zipper and that you tied the image to a functional repository Big Grin indeed installing eglic-gconv-cp1252 fixed my problem with ISO-8859-1 subs files. Why XBMC decode them as CP1252 instead of ISO-8859-1 I don't know but it's solved now Smile
Great I will take care of installing it by default...

Quote:Indeed, here is a log of a file MKV (H.264) @23.976 fps it has a periodic hiccup when playing (most people will not note them)

I don't know H.264 internals but I thought that PULLUP/PULLDOWN was something that was only signaled on interlaced MPEG-2 streams. And this particular stream seems progressive to me. I think (correct me if I wrong) the video signal is keep at 1080p@60 so this XBMC CPullupCorrection is to correct the 23.976 HZ stream played on a 60HZ signal.
OK, honestly I don't exactly know the reason for this CPullupCorrection, but I know for sure that I have an issue with my V4L buffers (they are not given back on time so that I can reuse them for new decoded frames) : I will track this issue for sure...

Quote:I use to install XBMC on top of a minimal Debian, there is a package on it called flashybrid. You tell it which parts go on volatile tmpfs and what goes to non-volatile tmpfs; it basically rsync changes on reboot and when you want it (using crontab) and it mounts these tmps on top of the original fs so is somewhat transparent. I want to have something similar if it speeds things and keep my cards safe. I use it on work on about 700 units and is working like a champ.
OK, thanks for the hint : I was not aware of this flashybrid package. Good to learn about it..
I reminds me that I have to try to install only uboot on the sdcard and then to load kernel from the network (by tftp) and use a NFS RFS. As the network interface is gigabits/s and as the CPU is also quite fast, odds are high that this configuration will be faster that a standard installation on sdcard (even class 10)... I have to check...

Quote:But first I'll like to enable my PS3 remote Smile
Keep me informed, I also have such a remote Wink

At last I answered you mail regarding the "bad" bottomline..
Thanks again for all your feedback

Regards
Stephan

RE: GK802/Hi802 - wolfgar - 2013-07-19

(2013-07-19, 21:07)rude78 Wrote: Hi Stephan,

you did an excellent job. Thank you! Just thinking about buying a WBQUAD. Have you already tested the SPDIF. I own an old amp without HDMI support. Therefore SPDIF is a must have requirement.
What about the progress of your CEC implementation for the imx?
Have you tested the jpeg image playback performance. Especially large MP images take a long time to get loaded by my rasp pi. Do you know if the HW accelerated jpeg decoding is used to decode the jpeg images? I don't think so. As far is I know the i.mx6 VPU support HW accelerated jpeg decoding. Not sure about the maximum resolution supported by the i.MX6 VPU.
I am even not sure if jpeg decoding or IO is the bottleneck.

Best regards
Rudi
Hi Rudi,

Thanks for your post,
For now I have not tested the SPDIF with xbmc but it is definitively a must have for me as I am in the same situation as you (regarding my amp)
So you can expect me to work on this soon...
My work on CEC for iMX is still on going : I have received my wandboard and worked on it on most of the time but I have not given up the CEC topic and it is on my todo list : Main issue is free time is too sparse ;-)
For now, jpeg decoding is not accelerated but you are right imx6 has hw support for jpeg decoding.
I neither don't know what the bottleneck is : Some tests and benchmarks are required to have a better understanding : Not my priority but I will have a look at it when I can...
(But even without hw acceleration wandboard is likely to behave noticeably better than Rpi I guess...)

Best regards
Stephan

RE: GK802/Hi802 - Pulento - 2013-07-20

Thanks Stephan,

I will pull your last changes from your Kernel repo.

One question arises. Looking your image is not the same as the Yocto images when the first partition is a FAT containing uImage. And the uImage that is on /boot seems not to be the booted image. So I suppose you are copying the image on the SD with dd; can you tell me the offset where it is located ? I don't have a null modem cable at hand Sad

RE: GK802/Hi802 - wolfgar - 2013-07-20

Hi

Here is the command I use to program the kernel from the board itself :
dd if=./uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2048

(I will change u-boot and put this image in rfs in a next release. I work that way for now as I started my work with an image provided on wandboard homepage with such a uboot...)

Regards
Stéphan

RE: GK802/Hi802 - xn2000 - 2013-07-22

(2013-07-16, 00:30)wolfgar Wrote:
(2013-07-15, 12:46)xn2000 Wrote: Unfortunately i don´t have much time right now so i better wait till you finished your image.

OK ! I have a stable image which is ready to publish for tests ...
Time to cleanup and to upload. Should be available tomorrow...

Regards, have a nice day (or night) Wink
Stephan

Hehe Big Grin

Have tested your image, very good work Smile
Every codec i tested worked up to 1080p.
Seems stable exept some random vpu crashes. Bad thing is i didn´t save the vpu crashreport.
Will add it next time i encounter another crash.
I observed that forward timeshifts are working good but if i timeshift backwards, playback slows down to a few fps.

Changing dirtyregions value from 2 to 1 enhanced fluidity of the gui and had no bad effects in my case. Though i´m not sure but i think i noticed a slight increase in temperature.

That´s all for now.
Keep up the good work!

Have a nice day Wink

RE: GK802/Hi802 - wolfgar - 2013-07-24

Hi xn2000

Thanks for your feedback : Good to know that this first experience is positive.
Do not hesitate to report any bug with context (kernel & xbmc logs and how to reproduce them) so that I can make it even better..

kind regards
Stephan

RE: GK802/Hi802 - xn2000 - 2013-07-25

Hi Wolfgar,

Sure, i will do that.

I have a suspicion that gui framerate is limited by not using multiple cpu threads.
Cpu load is always 100% on a single core when rendering complex skins, for example Xperience1080.
But in less complex scenarios it drops below 100% and framerate increases.
I know that xbmc is coded the way using only 1 core because of its XBOX origin, but isn´t it possible to somehow trick xbmc into using 2 cores for gui rendering ?

Have a nice day , i hope its not as hot in france as it is in germany right now Smile

RE: GK802/Hi802 - TarpeDiem - 2013-07-26

Hi wolfgar, marvelous job for the xbmc wandboard image it plays absolutely all my movies. could you post the updated kernel image at some stage and I also have a little request, I use vpn a lot to watch geoblocked conent and would it be possible in the future to include openvpn on the image?

Have a nice day Smile

RE: GK802/Hi802 - wolfgar - 2013-07-26

Hi tarpe

I will post updated kernel for sure..

By the time I have just built openvpn for you
Just issue commands
zypper refresh
zypper install openvpn
to install it

Regards
Stephan

Thanks a lot Stephan that's much appreciated Smile

Hi again Stephan, think I'll have to wait for the new kernel , the tun driver isn't enabled for this current one so openvpn wont connect. would you have a tutorial to build the kernel image from your patched sources ?

Hi

You are in a lucky day I am at home to do work and it is so hot that I have just taken a break...
Here an updated uImage
it solves 2GiB issue and adds tun driver...
To update the kernel from the wandboard itself :

dd if=./uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2048
sync

From your pc it is the same but you have to replace /dev/mmcblk0 by /dev/sdx (/dev/sdx being your sdcard device)

Regards
Stephan

Cheers Stephan, I noticed that the framerate is not as good as your previous kernel for the gui of xbmc, I'm going ot enable the dirty region fix to see if it changes anything, for the vpn well I need the tun.ko file to place in the kernel modules.

thanks by advance and I hope you wont melt with the heat Wink it's still better than the cold .

Hi,

Really ? Are you sure the frame rate dropped with this kernel ? (interesting as I changed only very few settings)
For the VPN you need the tun driver and I have compiled this tun driver in kernel (and not as a module) so you don't need tun.ko : it is already in the new kernel...
Maybe you need another driver ?
You can check the kernel config with the command :
zcat /proc/config.gz
you will be able to check that tun driver is in kernel that way...

Best regards
Stephan
Ps : well I am unsure for the heat... Wink

RE: GK802/Hi802 - ProsjektX - 2013-07-28

Hello,

Just tried to get it working on the Sabrelite board with partial success.

I have two boards here (all quads), one is a Nitrogen6x with a 1.0 chip and the other is a Sabrelite with a 1.2 chip. The boards are basically identical and use the same uboot/kernel config.

Anyway, I took your root fs in rfs_wand.tgz posted earlier and added the kernel and modules from this image. Also added the bootscript with your kernel params to the root folder (the default config of u-boot on these boards looks for this file, "6x_bootscript")

http://boundarydevices.com/ltib-4-0-0-images/

Here is the bootlog of the failing Sabrelite:
http://pastebin.com/PQz7iqwa

Here is the bootlog of the nitrogen6x board:
http://pastebin.com/S3rXGD35

The nitrogen6x (1.0) board loads up XBMC, but when I try to play some files, some of them are e.g. very dark and some where kind of duplicated horizontally and scrambled. So I decided to take a 1.2 Sabrelite board to see if there were any difference, but there are some VPU error messages showing up, as you see in the log.

Anything obvious...?