Kodi Community Forum
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 (/showthread.php?tid=165707)

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - tutu - 2014-02-09

(2014-02-09, 23:07)fritsch Wrote: No comment.

Unity sucks (as does compiz etc).. but lubuntu and mint wouldn't boot and as I couldn't be bothered any more I just stuck Ubuntu on their laptop.. It's mainly a browsing machine but they wanted to stream some videos Smile Maybe 14.04 will work better with EFI and I can actually use a half decent desktop.

I have an idea.. openELEC on a USB stick

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-02-09

good idea: snapshots.openelec.tv - same code as this howto has

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - tutu - 2014-02-09

Will do but I had one more try of just simply:

sudo service lightdm stop
xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone :0

This worked with refresh rate changing etc. but the whole thing (GUI and playback etc) was running about 10 frames per second for some reason.

So does OpenELEC also use the same ffmpeg commit as this one with HEVC?

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-02-09

no - that's the difference.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - soulchar - 2014-02-10

Hi,
big THANK YOU! to all involved people who made that great step forward for intel gfx.
Using Ivy Bridge 3770S with HD4000, underclocked to 2.4Ghz with overdrive disabled(passiv cooled) there is one core at around 60% playing nativ 1080i channels. Other cores are nearly sleeping. No drops or any other problem with Live TV. I am testing this with latest OE nightly.
Picture quality with yadif is definitely ready for every-day-usage.

Thank you very much!

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-02-10

As you have it cooled passively:

The 60% "sounds for an outsider", e.g. a person without clue, quit high - but concerning temperature: A 100% CPU usage of one core uses less WATT than e.g. using Lanczos 3 Optimized to upscale 576i to 1080p. Here the GPU has to work a whole lot. On my setup this difference is about 8 to 10 degrees.

Happy that you like it.We plan to include all those features after Gotham is out. Concerning the SSE code we are currently thinking of tuning it a bit, by changing the in between cache:

As you see the time it spends per frame in the copy function is quite low (arround 2 ms for 1920) but much more for 3840. So it's quite ideal for 1080i50 usecase.
Edit: Testing hardware: Core i5 mobile 4200U on a full blown desktop.

Will PR the 8K Cache increase tonight, as it seems the times "see the red points" gets much more stable without bigger outliers.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - soulchar - 2014-02-10

Yes, you're right: 60% may sound high, but as it is only one core the system does NOT heat up! The difference between idle and playing 1080i with yadif is only 5 degrees Celsius in my cooling situation.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-02-12

As you might have seen I did not PR it. We will disable the SWFilter for everything > 1080 in the future. As primary use case is 1080i LiveTV - no need to send 4K progressive back to system memory.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - wsnipex - 2014-02-12

actually, no need to send any progressive back to system Wink

Think of the nice Software Filters. Median / Sharpening / etc. (all not yet there, but possible in the future)

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - hal2100 - 2014-02-12

@fritsch:

Just a very very minor question, but your apt line from your first post:

"sudo apt-get install ssh python-software-properties software-properties-common udisks upower xorg alsa-utils mesa-utils git-core librtmp0 lirc libmad0 lm-sensors libmpeg2-4 avahi-daemon libnfs1 consolekit pm-utils libva1 vainfo libva-intel-vaapi-driver i965-va-driver"

is it "clean" in a sense that only the necessary packages are marked with "installed by user"? For example libva1 is necessary for libva-intel-vaapi-driver and will be pulled automatically and the i965 package seems deprecated.

I am asking because I a setting up a new box, and I always had the package creep with ubuntu in the past. While the software center is great for application, if a library is marked as user-installed it won't show up.

When I will get my hardware I will try the shortest apt-get possible.

It can be tuned for sure. that old meta package was there "just for security reasons", e.g. that user - though having fucked up his sources.list quite hard - ends with something working.

So report back after installation, which one was not needed :-). You can also for sure trim down xorg - but I would not do that.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - -DDD- - 2014-02-12

whats happening with this Thread?! Where are all the Posts?

Now it's back as it seems.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - -DDD- - 2014-02-13

strange Smile