Kodi Community Forum
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 (/showthread.php?tid=165707)

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-06-26

If the card is not on the bus reinstall won't help. Deep powecycle the machine.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - -DDD- - 2014-06-26

(2014-06-26, 14:05)robo989 Wrote: and the TBS6985 literally disappeared to the system, doesn't show with any modprobe command and not showing up in tvheadend under adapters, it's as if the driver just vanished (!?).

Just installing everything again from scratch and will provide a log with debugging enabled once done.

Do you see the TV Card in the BIOS? There were often BIOS Bugs with PCIe TV Cards in Series 7 and 8 Intel Boards,
maybe they are now in the Series 9 Boards also Rolleyes

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - robo989 - 2014-06-26

(2014-06-26, 11:06)wsnipex Wrote: enable debugging.

I have been unable to reprouduce this after a full install from scratch of OS/xbmc
I can only guess that I must have enabled an unsupported VAAPI level of deinterlacing as the default with a couple of channels before having done this not set as such, therefore allowing those channels to work and any channels I hadn't watched before causing a crash.
Sorry, so that's cleared up, at least it appears to be everything all working in that regard.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-06-26

There is no "unsupported" level of deinterlacing.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - robo989 - 2014-06-26

(2014-06-26, 17:41)-DDD- Wrote:
(2014-06-26, 14:05)robo989 Wrote: and the TBS6985 literally disappeared to the system, doesn't show with any modprobe command and not showing up in tvheadend under adapters, it's as if the driver just vanished (!?).

Just installing everything again from scratch and will provide a log with debugging enabled once done.

Do you see the TV Card in the BIOS? There were often BIOS Bugs with PCIe TV Cards in Series 7 and 8 Intel Boards,
maybe they are now in the Series 9 Boards also Rolleyes

I checked the bios and it is indeed there.
I didn't investigate further, re-installed OS/xbmc and everthing working again including previous unrelated problem mentioned on previous page.
Set the PCI-E link to 1st gen from auto, never know may have had some effect, I know TBS cards don't like running on gen2/3 at times.

/Sorry for OT, original problem I assumed was related to the intel onboard gpu.
/As an aside, the de-interlacing set to "de-interlace" is notably better than my old GT430 deinterlacing.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - -DDD- - 2014-06-26

Yes this was the Bug, Intel fixed it generally in their Bios, Asrock let you choose which gen the PCIe Card should have.
On Auto the previous Boards detected the TV Card not on every Reboot.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - robo989 - 2014-06-28

(2014-06-26, 18:55)fritsch Wrote: There is no "unsupported" level of deinterlacing.

On my haswell refresh i7 4970T/H97 board...
VAAPI Bob - works on MPEG4, gives ghosting on MPEG2 video, looks terrible as expected since it's very basic deinterlacer.
"De-Interlace" - Doesn't work at all, frozen blue/black alternating vertical columns.
Setting rendering/decoding in XBMC video acceleration settings to software obviously cures both issues.
It seems to me that settings aren't "sticking"....somethings not right anyway from a GUI perspective

I will force a crash with debug logging enabled later today if get a chance, rushed off feet. Thanks.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-06-28

I hope you don't force the deinterlacer to "On" ... on progressive content. I don't know any mpeg-4 material that is interlaced.

Provide logfiles and samples .. You should never set "Deinterlace" to On, choose Auto. There is no point in deinterlacing progressive content.

Quote:"De-Interlace" - Doesn't work at all, frozen blue/black alternating vertical columns.

That's the method available since more than 7 months and until now not one feedback like that - provide logfiles.

Video decoder error, video stopping - hal2100 - 2014-06-28

Hi,

I have problems with the current build (although I just saw that there is an newer one from this morning.

The video seems to "freeze" for a few seconds and then restarts. Most of the time after that tearing appears. If I stop the movie then the gui crashes, although xbmc may still run.
Plese see the debug.log here:
(removed, question answered)

The first problem seems to appear around 12:10 o'clock. Any suggestions? I also tried another movie, same result.

Disclaimer: It may well be possible that the problem sits infront of the computer...

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - FernetMenta - 2014-06-28

disable "prefer vaapi render method"
there is an issue with intel driver (already filed at freedesktop)

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - hal2100 - 2014-06-28

This will disable the acceleration then, I suppose? Ok still better WAF (woman acceptance factor) than stopping videos.

Totally unrelated and I suppose totally OT for this thread, any hints how to fix this:
13:32:43 T:140697007163328 WARNING: CXRandR::Query - output HDMI1 has no current mode, assuming disconnected
13:32:43 T:140697007163328 ERROR: WinSystemX11::RefreshWindow - failed to query xrandr

BTW, you are fast...
Thanks!

PS: Would a page with current issues help or am I just not aware that this already exists?

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-06-28

Here is the upstream bugreport: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78960 <- you can subscribe yourself and get new information. Workaround is what FernetMenta wrote. This will produce a bit more CPU load, but will cure that behaviour.

Edit: I added "Current Issues" to the first page.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - noggin - 2014-06-30

Followed the guide on page 1 to the letter today, and unlike previous occasions, my XBMC install (which I'm pretty certain is from the fernetmenta-master PPA) doesn't include the "Use SW Filter for VAAPI"

The build installed is "XBMC 14.0-ALPHA1 Git:3c14d95 (Compiled: Jun 30 2014)"

Log here : http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=237883

Thoughts?

I have changed HDMI displays - but apart from that followed the same instructions on the same box about a week ago and had the SW Filter option available? I realise that this build is quite 'cutting edge' just wondered if I'd done something wrong or if the current builds have changed?

(I'm using Ubuntu Server 14.04 rather than Mini as Mini wouldn't install correctly)

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - fritsch - 2014-06-30

Quote:Followed the guide on page 1 to the letter today, and unlike previous occasions, my XBMC install (which I'm pretty certain is from the fernetmenta-master PPA) doesn't include the "Use SW Filter for VAAPI"

Yes, that was removed. Just select "Deinterlace" method while playing a movie. We have an inverted setting now "Prefer VAAPI Render", if you disable that one the sse4 copy code swfilter will be used for everything with width <= 1920 and height <= 1088.

I will update the first page.

Edit: With this new version it switches automatically depending on the Deinterlace setting and content. For Deinterlace and Bob the swfilter pass will be used if content is interlaced or deinterlacer forced to on (don't do that). Alternatively to workaround a hsw mesa bug, you can disable the setting I told some lines above if you experience issues while watching progressive content.

RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - FernetMenta - 2014-06-30

Quote:if you disable that one the swfilter will be used for everything with width <= 1920 and height <= 1088.

not 100% correct. it will use the filter only for deinterlacing but will copy the frame to system ram for progressive content too.