Kodi Community Forum
Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? (/showthread.php?tid=168647)

Pages: 1 2

Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - mightydimo - 2013-07-08

I have played back movies via the inbuilt media play on my samsung TV and it looks much better via a PC with HDMI cable. I mean TV displays 100hz, the colours/contrast look better too. Is there a setting via HDMI cable from PC to make it look the same? Anyone have the same issue?

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - Kib - 2013-07-08

You say it looks better when using a HDMI cable.
You want to know how to make it look the same with a HDMI cable.

something doesn't add up.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - mightydimo - 2013-07-09

By inbuilt player i mean one that is played via an external usb drive that the input is built into most modern tv's.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - nickr - 2013-07-09

you said
Quote:I have played back movies via the inbuilt media play on my samsung TV and it looks much better via a PC with HDMI cable
Did you mean "...looks much better than via a PC..."

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - mightydimo - 2013-07-09

(2013-07-09, 05:10)nickr Wrote: you said
Quote:I have played back movies via the inbuilt media play on my samsung TV and it looks much better via a PC with HDMI cable
Did you mean "...looks much better than via a PC..."

yes, thats what i meant...

Example, play a Full HD movie on a PS3 (one that will play) and play the same movie via PC (hdmi) and the PS3 will always look better... Why is this?

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - random11 - 2013-07-09

I can think of few things.

1. Make sure your computer is out putting full resolution through HDMI to your TV. This can be changed in windows "Display" settings.

2. Go into your settings for your graphics card (usually found in the control panel under the manufactures name eg NVidea or ATI) and make sure that you don't have any weird color or picture settings affecting the display on the graphics card side of things. Just give it a quick look over for anything really odd.

3. Make sure XBMC is also displaying at 1080p. Check this in the video settings in XBMC.

4. Assuming everything is set up correctly the only other thing I can think of is that it is a setting on your TV. While viewing your HDMI source, go into the picture setting of your TV and play around with it. You will want to make sure the aspect ration is set to "Direct" (That is what it is called on my TV) so that it doesn't clip the borders. Also you can change the color and things of that nature.

On my LG TV it has independent picture settings per source so if your TV is the same, then the picture settings may be different when it loads the video over USB rather then the HDMI source or even PS3.

5. Barring everything else: Make sure your HDMI cable that is going to your PC is good quality and not kinked/damaged. Also if your cable is really long (25ft+) try moving your computer closer and using a smaller cable. Just temporarily to see if that helps. Sometimes with really long cables there is single interference or single degradation.

6. Ask a friend if they have the same opinion. You may just be seeing things.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - whitebelly - 2013-07-09

I'll guess your picture looks washed out.You can look at your TV's picture settings for the HDMI input and/or the color space settings on your video driver. Google "htpc color space". RGB range is one factor, but don't ask me because I get lost trying to figure out what setup is best.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - negge - 2013-07-09

Your TV probably uses different picture settings per input source. Make sure that the HDMI input you're using has the same values as whatever input is used when watching from USB.

Usually though you should try to disable all color corrections and other voodoo in your TV. You might think it looks better when infact it just looks wrong.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - mightydimo - 2013-07-14

Thanks for the help guys. I will try a couple of the above mentioned things that i dont think i have tried.

So hasnt anyone here experienced watching a dvd/bluray on a computer using software (powerdvd, vlc etc) is NOT as good as watching it through a PS3 or a stand alone dvd/bluray player?

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - nickr - 2013-07-14

So are you talking about the inbuilt player in your TV, or a bluray player or a ps3?

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - mightydimo - 2013-07-15

inbuilt or standalone (not in a computer). It always looks better than PC equipment.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - Kib - 2013-07-15

I have never experienced that, but my guess is that negge is right with his post above.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - skylarking - 2013-07-15

mightydimo, when i watch video file from my ps3 via a hdmi cable connected to a hdmi port on my pioneer plasma panel, i can change the picture settings from "standard" to "movie" to "sports" to "game", etc, and this has an effect on how the picture looks. But when i watch the same video file from my pc via hdmi cable connected to another hdmi port on the same plasma panel, i oddly don't have the same picture setting selections available to choose from, so the picture quality can look a little different (but not poorer in comparison). In my case, the panel seems to somehow sense a difference between my ps3 and my pc (quadro 600 graphics card) though i don't know why but i don't worry too much about the plasma panel settings themselves since i have all video enhancements turned off (imho they ruin pq).

I have found that bigger picture quality differences can come from having different settings within the boxes (ps3 , pc, etc) one connects to a flat panel. The reason a video can look better via ps3 is that this machine seems good at deinterlace and upscaling video and the ps3 normally auto configures resolution, deinterlacing, color space {full rgb (0-255)} by default whenever a hdmi cable is detected. With a pc, you have to take manual control of such settings as little seems auto detected and configured other than resolution via edid.

As such you need to ensure you have set the appropriate resolution, deinterlacing and color space {rgb(0-255)} on your pc to make best use of your (tv) display panel.

Using vlc as an example, i set "accelerated video output (overlay)" and "use hardware yuv->rgb conversion" with deinterlacing set to "automatic blend mode" for video playback while within the nvidia control panel i set resolution to that of the panel and video color and enhancement settings are defined to "use video player settings". Without such setting and without deinterlacing in particular, sd video picture quality looks poorer via the pc as compared to the ps3 (which will impact your perception).

So as mentioned previously, you need to check player and tv settings to be able to compare what the ps3 outputs against what the pc outputs. You have a multitude of settings to look at and not all settings are easy to find or called teh same thing in every video player application. Smile

Note, with xbmc, deinterlacing can be set when watching a video and clicking on the "movie reel" at the bottom right of the (confluence skin) screen which will bring up the setting page. Set as desired but click "set as default for all videos" which is at the bottom of the popup screen if you want such setting to apply to all videos. Unfortunately i haven't found a global page for such video settings which is odd!

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - negge - 2013-07-15

@skylarking: like you said, many hardware devices have better deinterlacing and upscaling than your average PC media player. XBMC has some quite powerful deinterlacers and the best possible upscalers, but if we're talking about standard 1080p content then none if these things come into play. I still suspect the problems lies in the TVs color settings (they being different for each input).

If you're watching anything else than Blurays or 1080p rips then you should check your upscaler and deinterlacer and choose the best ones your computer can handle.

RE: Inbuilt Media Player on TV or from computer via HDMI cable? - skylarking - 2013-07-15

@negge: Yes, i agree the problem likely lies with the some per port TV settings and with what has been said so far, i expect mightydimo should better understand his problem. Hopefully mightydimo will check his TV settings first but he should also be aware that there are multiple points in a pc where the color can be fudged, hence my post Smile

And as for XMBC, yes it has deinterlacers and upscaling but initially i thought this was either not available, or fixed or inbuilt in some way as i could not find these setting. The logical place for me to see such global settings was within "systems - settings - video - playback" but unfortunately they were did not exist wherei expected to find them which is why i mentioned where they are for mightydimo's benefit.

As i said in another post, XBMC rather is nice (if only a few warts) Smile