Kodi Community Forum
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review (/showthread.php?tid=170084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - u2ttd - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-21, 12:27)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-21, 10:51)jjd-uk Wrote: Re-encoding from H.264 to H.265/HEVC simply makes no sense at the moment, at about 6 hours per encode it's going to take you quite some time if you've a sizable collection. However personally I never see the need to re-encode with Handbrake or whatever, we now live in times where big storage is cheap, so why waste hours, days, weeks encoding, when the cost of a new hard disk is less that the value of my time that would be spent encoding.
+1

what about re-encode in background? multi-core cpus are cheap, too Wink

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - DJ_Izumi - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-22, 10:03)AbRASiON Wrote: I certainly know I see some weird stuff in some movies on my plasma and I have to wonder if people haven't encoded the films using an LCD thinking "this is good enough"

I assure you, the colorists doing the color correction for major motion pictures are using displays that are specifically calibrated and perform color reproduction that entirely blows your TV out of the water. Anything you see and think is 'off' in major motion pictures are an artistic choice for one reason or another.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - Prof Yaffle - 2015-02-22

The sad thing here is that is has echoes of my imagined audiophile days. I realised long ago that, by the time I had enough time and money to amass the perfect audio system, I'd long have lost the range of hearing needed to make full use of it, and it would be subsequently wasted on whatever drivel my then-unborn teenage children chose to torment me with.

I wonder if video is going to go the same way... I look forward to peering at full 24-bit colour on a 16k resolution screen through cataract-laden eyes and bottle-glass spectacles Smile

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - nickr - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-22, 13:38)u2ttd Wrote:
(2015-02-21, 12:27)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-21, 10:51)jjd-uk Wrote: Re-encoding from H.264 to H.265/HEVC simply makes no sense at the moment, at about 6 hours per encode it's going to take you quite some time if you've a sizable collection. However personally I never see the need to re-encode with Handbrake or whatever, we now live in times where big storage is cheap, so why waste hours, days, weeks encoding, when the cost of a new hard disk is less that the value of my time that would be spent encoding.
+1

what about re-encode in background? multi-core cpus are cheap, too Wink
What about it? How does that change the argument?

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - poplap - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-22, 04:53)DJ_Izumi Wrote: No, that's HDR bracketing which is a tried and tested way of getting more dynamic range out of a sensor limited in it's dynamic range. There are sensors that can capture higher dynamic range on a single frame, such as the commercially available Red Dragon which reaches about 16 stops without even using it's HDRx mode (Which is a form of bracketing). Similarly, in the computer generated renders I do at work, we see monstrously high dynamic range as we spit out our renders at 32bit float because that level of dynamic range gives is a tremendous amount of latitude in compositing.

Thats interesting, was not aware of that tech. Though my main argument stands that HDR is not 10bit but rather 10bit helps to achieve HDR by providing enough resolution of the color space for transitions. Though either way they are both listed in the standard and so hopefully 10bit will be standard for the industry, not that I really care but more data is always better.

And they say we should start seeing 4k Blu rays this year >.>

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - voochi - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-22, 16:49)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I assure you, the colorists doing the color correction for major motion pictures are using displays that are specifically calibrated and perform color reproduction that entirely blows your TV out of the water. Anything you see and think is 'off' in major motion pictures are an artistic choice for one reason or another.

For home video, most mastering facilities deliberately limit the contrast ratio of their reference monitors to ~1500:1 in order to be representative of a consumer LCD.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - AbRASiON - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-22, 16:49)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2015-02-22, 10:03)AbRASiON Wrote: I certainly know I see some weird stuff in some movies on my plasma and I have to wonder if people haven't encoded the films using an LCD thinking "this is good enough"

I assure you, the colorists doing the color correction for major motion pictures are using displays that are specifically calibrated and perform color reproduction that entirely blows your TV out of the water. Anything you see and think is 'off' in major motion pictures are an artistic choice for one reason or another.

I'm talking about rips not original blu rays. I see very odd artifacts that I can't put my finger on. The people look almost plastic in high movement scenes.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - steelman1991 - 2015-02-23

Sounds like you need to check the video settings on your graphics card - turn off all the processing that these things have on as default. If not then you need to return your plasma - its broken Wink

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - AbRASiON - 2015-02-24

This is a possibility, I'll try it - it's been quite frustrating, almost 'plasticky' looking people at times.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - AbRASiON - 2015-02-24

Update: I've found an option in my ATI / AMD drivers which has finally fixed peoples faces looking far over saturated. I actually thought I'd fiddled with this before but it's fixed now.
There's a flesh tony option and a color vibrance option - both of which were screwing peoples faces up.
Dr Christian in Supersize vs SuperSkinny and Picard in TNG were both looking very very red / flushed -it was like it was filmed on an IR camera or some weird crap.
Dunno about the 'movement' in high speed scenes, but at least my colours aren't over-saturated anymore.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - Krobar - 2015-02-25

What is the status with 4K hardware decode for Nvidia? I noticed the VDPAU support mainlined earlier this month and I assume Nvidia Binary driver support wont be far behind (Could be entirely wrong on that).

Have access to the Astra2 4K Demo sat channel and TVHeadend seems happy with it but Kodi is not (VLC3 nightly kinda plays it).

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - pesta - 2015-02-28

(2015-02-25, 00:03)Krobar Wrote: What is the status with 4K hardware decode for Nvidia? I noticed the VDPAU support mainlined earlier this month and I assume Nvidia Binary driver support wont be far behind (Could be entirely wrong on that).

Have access to the Astra2 4K Demo sat channel and TVHeadend seems happy with it but Kodi is not (VLC3 nightly kinda plays it).

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5890/test-the-geforce-gtx-960-is-the-best-htpc-gpu-of-this-moment

Apparently is on the right path.

I hope to see a nVidia 950 (or even 940), based on Maxwell architecture, with passive cooling and HMDI 2.0 very soon.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - Krobar - 2015-03-01

I have a 960 (Didn't have the patience to wait) but it seems Linux support isn't ready yet. Using MPC HC I can actually decode the Astra UHD test channel without any dropped frames on my windows PC (Using CPU; a lot of it).

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - HawkFest - 2015-04-17

(2013-07-29, 03:00)davilla Wrote: Crap. No HW decoder supports it, None, zero, nappa. This means back to high powered and noisy boxes for SW decode. No thank you please.
Ok what follows is in a"box" as you wrote, and it's not HW... But still it's a quite small and silent box, thus in my case I don't care about the decoder being SW as long as it works fine. I use the Shark007 codec pack for WIndows which IMHO provide the best codecs around, with great GUI for all the different settings (and defaults that are already excellent, no real need to play around the GUI). In a bundle that won't jeopardize your system unlike other packs like K-Lite etc. And I can play any h.265 movie file in Windows Media Player as well as Media Center: it's a superb piece of "format", and Shark007 is clearly alone on top of all those "codec providers" who otherwise "ill-bundle" codecs (you can completely uninstall the pack and the system will revert to defaut settings and files, there's also a functionality from within the GUI to do so). You should try it.

RE: HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review - Ned Scott - 2015-04-17

Why are you telling him to try some codec pack that only works on Windows and not XBMC/Kodi? Davilla used to be our main Mac, iOS, and Android developer, BTW. I don't think he cares much about Windows. Either way, that's a nearly two year old comment, and it was about practical hardware requirements and not about if software decoding was possible or not. Kodi already has software decoding support in v14.