Kodi Community Forum
Testing audio engine ActiveAE - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: Testing audio engine ActiveAE (/showthread.php?tid=170338)

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - franzem - 2013-09-18

i am sure it can be arranged Wink

thanks for your help, gonna be away for a few weeks, will test it when I get back.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - FernetMenta - 2013-09-18

here comes the fix: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commit/bdef89d6a94f9f0aa32d68100b0d15a781822484

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - ursli - 2013-09-19

(2013-09-18, 09:29)FernetMenta Wrote: should be fixed by https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3289

Fixed in latest xvba-testing indeed, thanks a lot.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - herrnst - 2013-09-19

Don't really know if this still relates to ActiveAE though (admitted I haven't tried using SoftAE), but found out about two things regarding PAPlayer:

- MP3/CUE: After playback advances over two CUE items (e.g. let playback run from track 1 to 3), setting the playback speed (fast forward, rewind) doesn't work anymore. When using the GUI/fullscreen music popup, clicking the ffwd/rew buttons doesn't change the playback speed anymore, the play/pause button however changes to the play symbol (as if it really was fastforwarding).

- This one seems really strange, and could reproduce in passthrough (HDMI) mode so far yet: When starting playback of a folder with a bunch of DTS-WAV files (complete album, one file per track), it plays normally until the end, and then instead of advancing to the next file in the folder (track1->track2), it advanced over multiple files, eventually advancing beyond the last file, so after the first track playback stops. When this happens, looking at the GUI it seems PAPlayer does open each file, but then does some decisions, closes it and advances further. As initially mentioned, this does not happen when letting XBMC decode the audio and output as two-channel (audio mode: analog).

Probably unrelated to ActiveAE (have verified this one with SoftAE):

- Assume "audio mode: analog" and two channels: Starting a movie/video (using DVDPlayer) containing a DTS audio track, one can hear a short (40ms or so) noise, as if audio wasn't decoded, or if a buffer wasn't initialised before it first was sent to the audio output. Guess the latter is the case, as every consecutive play of the same file makes a different "noise". During experimenting with this, I'm sure I also noticed this with an AC3 audio track, but couldn't reproduce last time I checked (after loads of ActiveAE went into master).

Cheers,
nst

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - FernetMenta - 2013-09-19

Quote:This one seems really strange, and could reproduce in passthrough (HDMI) mode so far yet

This is an issue of paplayer. AE only can handle a single passthrough stream at a given time. If you play passthrough and paplayer tries to pre-buffer another stream, this fails because passthrough can't be mixed/faded. paplayer needs to check the codec of current/next stream and disable pre-load if one of them is passthrough.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - corpgator - 2013-09-20

My ticket, #14211, was closed yesterday by Martijn with a note that it could not be reproduced. Directsound releases, but XBMC WASAPI still does not release with Alpha 7 or the latest nightly, which I just installed. MPC-HC tells me audio device is already in use with wasapi. With directsound, sometimes it releases immediately and others it loops the last chunk of audio for a few seconds before releasing just like it did before.

Either way, the bug is definitely still there on Windows. Should I submit a new ticket or will someone reopen it? I'll upload a new log either way.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - fritsch - 2013-09-20

Retry with current nightly and disable the "Stream noise when idle" option.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - jjd-uk - 2013-09-20

WASAPI definitely releases now as I tested it a few weeks ago.

I can't remember exactly how I had my XBMC configured, but it could be that GUI sounds may also need to be disabled.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - fritsch - 2013-09-20

Every menu click reenables them ...that is intended. 10 seconds later, it goes off again. If you don't want it, suspend AudioEngine, via the python, whatever api.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - corpgator - 2013-09-20

Stream silence on idle off helps sometimes, but only if the video I am sending to the external does not have immediately sound. If it has immediate sound, then the external wants immediate control and can't wait for the 10 second pause.

Turning off the GUI sounds doesn't help because that doesn't solve the problem of audio not being released from other audio sources like simply playing music. Currently, I have to go intentionally stop my music before I can start a video. Or if I have TvTunes enable, then it won't release either.

The last working version is Frodo 12.0.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - rat666 - 2013-09-21

i have tried the openelc FernetMenta Build from Sep. 7. Git 2435cf3 which works absolutely perfect for me. Sound is bitperfec, even my HDCD Coded Flacs are running perfect (with HDCD Flag). Sound is awesome.

But (there is always a but Wink ) why ist the sampling rate over spdif limited to 48 khz? i use some Hirez Stereo 24/192 Flacs which are now cut down to 48 khz (and one of my cores are at 60% for resampling).
SPDIF can handle 2 Ch PCM with 24bit/192khz. Itought i can adjust the sampling rate within the advancedsettings.xml, but after some search i have found out that it is hardcoded (at least for my understanding) in the activeAE.cpp File Link.

Or did i miss something and i can set it to 192khz?

Cheers

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - fritsch - 2013-09-21

Yeah, if you don't write the "but" - there is none :-) - so just keep it as is.

sorry, i had hit the wrong key, now there is a but ;-)

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - Martijn - 2013-09-21

(2013-09-21, 15:40)rat666 Wrote: sorry, i had hit the wrong key, now there is a but ;-)

because there where systems like mine who would output crappy or no sound at all when over 48khz so that's why it's safe limited now.
will be change in some time to an option probably

thanks for the explanantion.