Kodi Community Forum
Testing audio engine ActiveAE - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: Testing audio engine ActiveAE (/showthread.php?tid=170338)

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - rat666 - 2013-11-05

@fritsch:

i would love to test it but unfortunatly i'm not able to compile xbmc myself. I've downloaded the openelec generic x86_64Bit build from Nov 4th and the alpha 10 from today for Linux (i use Kubuntu 13.10). They are compiled from master, so i guess that none of these Builds include the patch.

I will test and report as soon i get my hands on a binary with the patch.

Cheers

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - fritsch - 2013-11-05

For Kubuntu 13.10:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade

Have fun testing.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - yasij - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-05, 09:51)fritsch Wrote: @rat666:
Could you test with the following linux build: https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-fernetmenta-master despite the Alpha10 Quality, it has a patch, that we currently PR (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3563), which did good things when @herrnst has tested it.

Thanks much

This patch is working well for me if I use the Ubuntu 3.11.0-generic kernel. I no longer get audio drops with DTS-HD MA. I have problems if I use the 3.12.0 kernel I compiled. I'm looking through the kernel option differences to see what cause a problem like this. My guess is CONFIG_PREEMPT instead of CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is preempting the audio driver. I'm recompiling the kernel with the changed preemption mode to see.

Also check your /etc/security/limits.conf to allow the user that runs xbmc to increase priority something like this:
Code:
#*               soft    core            0
#root            hard    core            100000
#*               hard    rss             10000
#@student        hard    nproc           20
#@faculty        soft    nproc           20
#@faculty        hard    nproc           50
#ftp             hard    nproc           0
#ftp             -       chroot          /ftp
#@student        -       maxlogins       4
yasij          -       nice            -1
# End of file

(2013-11-05, 21:25)fritsch Wrote: Also check your /etc/security/limits.conf to allow the user that runs xbmc to increase priority something like this:
Code:
#*               soft    core            0
#root            hard    core            100000
#*               hard    rss             10000
#@student        hard    nproc           20
#@faculty        soft    nproc           20
#@faculty        hard    nproc           50
#ftp             hard    nproc           0
#ftp             -       chroot          /ftp
#@student        -       maxlogins       4
yasij          -       nice            -1
# End of file

I already have the xbmc user set to allow higher priority in limits.conf. Changing the preemption model didn't fix the problem with 3.12.0. There is no difference between using nvidia 331.17 or 319.60. The audio drops only happen after a suspend/resume cycle. I wonder if there is a reinitialization bug in the audio driver.

Okay - I consider this as fixed, as we have little influence on hardware after resume. You might perhaps check the modelines you get after resume, perhaps the relevant 24p modeline is not existing anymore.

(2013-11-05, 21:49)fritsch Wrote: Okay - I consider this as fixed, as we have little influence on hardware after resume. You might perhaps check the modelines you get after resume, perhaps the relevant 24p modeline is not existing anymore.

My TV doesn't support 24p, so I have to run at 60hz anyway. I have a fixed edid set in xorg.conf, so I should be getting the same modelines. I realize that either video or audio has to be effected since 60 is not divisible by 24 which is why I tried audio clock for the sync to display, but audio drops still occur with this after resume, but yeah, I see it as fixed on your end.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - herrnst - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-05, 22:14)yasij Wrote: My TV doesn't support 24p, so I have to run at 60hz anyway. I have a fixed edid set in xorg.conf, so I should be getting the same modelines. I realize that either video or audio has to be effected since 60 is not divisible by 24 which is why I tried audio clock for the sync to display, but audio drops still occur with this after resume, but yeah, I see it as fixed on your end.

Hmm. When testing this, I suspected videoclock/non-matching refreshrates might affect this, so I turned off the "auto-adjust refresh rate" setting so my TV got driven by the default 50Hz mode. The video microstuttering got clearly visible for 23.976Hz content, but didn't affect the HD-bitstream issue in any way. Can't really test/tell with hibernate/resume, because if I try that, generic hell breaks loose big time on the box, thus audio is by far the least problem then Wink Very much sounds like some audio driver problem, though.

Regards,
nst

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - bossanova808 - 2013-11-06

Just a quick note - this new AE is in Openelec 3.2.3 right? XSqueeze users are reporting that when they use XSqueeze and then exit it, they no longer have HDMI audio, and the audio device is no longer listed under System.

Is it possible that it's not enumerating audio devices post AE Suspend/Resume perhaps?

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - FernetMenta - 2013-11-06

If the device was dropped from the list, enumeration must have happened. It's the only function which changes the list. My guess is that the device is still taken by external player at the time enumeration is done.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - fritsch - 2013-11-06

@bossanova808: OpenELEC 3.2.3 ships with Frodo - there is no new Active Audio Engine and yes on resume device enumeration happens, this was needed back at this time to make nvidia hdmi drivers back to life. So if your AVR / TV whatever is turned on later as your htpc - you will loose sound devices. Workaround therefore: hardcode your EDID - but thaT's off topic here.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - rat666 - 2013-11-07

Hi,

today i did a quick listening seesion with the new audio Patch. i heard only 2 CH Flacs with 44.1 khz.

Setup:
PC1: Openelec Alpha10 from Nov 4., AMD x4 620, Geforce 520, 4 GB Ram, hooked up via HDMI out
PC2: Kubuntu 13.10 with XBMC from FernetMenta Branch Nov5., AMD x4 620, Geforce 280, 8 GB Ram, hooked up via onboard Toslink

Both PCs are connected to the DAC, Audio Settings are equal (Best mach, Replay gain off, Avoid Clipping off)

DAC: Rotel RSP 1069 (Av Pre used as DAC)
Pre: Audio Research LS 16 MK II (Processor Inputs)
Amps: Mark Levinson 332
Speakers: Infinity Epsilon

Musik: Flac from Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms (HDCD Rip) 44,1khz, 2 Ch

Both PCs had a bitperfect output (HDCD in Rotel Display shown all the time). Foobar looses the HDCD Flag (Maybe Windows is the Problem not Foobar - i don't know, never tested XBMC on my Windows PC).

The two PCs sound different (my subjective Impression), but i think it can also be the OS or the digital Connection.

PC1 has a louder output (i think that the Rotel is louder via HDMI then via Toslink). Sound was more centered and Music plays more in the foreground (Mark was in front of the instruments and in the middle of the stage)

PC2 has a smoother sound (Volume adjusted at the Rotel to have nearly the same Level), soundstage is wider but Mark sings more in the Background. Sound was a little reserved.

Conclusion:

There is a difference, but its a only little difference. Boith PCs pruduce a very good an right sounding output (wich is also bitperfect in my eyes).
i prefer the sound from PC1, but this is only my subjective Impression.

i hope i can do some more tests on sunday (multichannel, hires, etc) on a Aqvox Dac (only 2 Ch) wich has a higher Quality than the Rotel

hope that helpes

Cheers

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - fritsch - 2013-11-07

As conclusion? Something wrong with xbmc? It sounds, that all is fine?

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - rat666 - 2013-11-07

no, nothing is wrong with XBMC, both Versions sounds imho better than Foobar+Windows.

Conclusion is, i can't hear clear difference between XBMC with that new audio patch and no patch.

So everything is fine, devs have done a great job, ActiveAE sounds awesome.

i think the little differnece in sound is related to the HDMI and Toslink Inputs.

I will test against my CD-Player on sunday to see which output is closer to the CD.

you told me to test the new patch aginst the alpha 10 version without patch and both versions sound very good in my ears. I prefer the output from PC1, but i think this is related to the HDMI Output not to the Patch.

RE: Testing audio engine ActiveAE - jpsdr - 2013-11-09

(2013-09-07, 20:18)jpsdr Wrote: My 5.1 AAC track is not send as a 5.1 track like it was before, but as a 7.1 track.

I've made a new build today and tested it. Issue is back...Sad
Issue is not present on the build i've roled back, made the 27/10.