Kodi Community Forum
[THREAD CLOSED] Maximinimalism V1.0.6 (Gotham) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Maximinimalism (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=209)
+----- Thread: [THREAD CLOSED] Maximinimalism V1.0.6 (Gotham) (/showthread.php?tid=170839)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - thedeadman - 2014-03-08

@miappa - thanks, glad to have you on board!

@picaresqu3, evandunkel - thanks both, much appreciated. To answer your questions:

- background pictures / fanart can be set from settings->appearance->settings (below 'skin'). There are various options, including single images and fanart directory cycling (you may need to use the artwork downloader addon to aggregate your fanart into a single directory - let me know if you need more info on that)

- the XML filename display (used for debugging) can also be turned off in the skin settings (see 'enable debug info'). In the next update, this is disabled by default.

- Switching user profiles 'live' can be done from settings->profiles. Select the profile you want, hit 'C' for the context menu, then 'load profile'. It's a bit clunky at the moment and needs a bit of attention - I will look at ways to make it more intuitive :-)

V0.9.9 is on the way.

Cheers!

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - picaresqu3 - 2014-03-08

Yes, please!

And thanks!

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - bigheeed - 2014-03-10

(2014-03-08, 11:14)thedeadman Wrote: @miappa - thanks, glad to have you on board!

@picaresqu3, evandunkel - thanks both, much appreciated. To answer your questions:

- background pictures / fanart can be set from settings->appearance->settings (below 'skin'). There are various options, including single images and fanart directory cycling (you may need to use the artwork downloader addon to aggregate your fanart into a single directory - let me know if you need more info on that)

- the XML filename display (used for debugging) can also be turned off in the skin settings (see 'enable debug info'). In the next update, this is disabled by default.

- Switching user profiles 'live' can be done from settings->profiles. Select the profile you want, hit 'C' for the context menu, then 'load profile'. It's a bit clunky at the moment and needs a bit of attention - I will look at ways to make it more intuitive :-)

V0.9.9 is on the way.

Cheers!

Great work so far, i think re: the fanart the guys were wondering about getting the fanart for each movie to appear as you move down the list as it does in some of the other skins.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you currently have either single background image for the movie subsection or you can select a folder that contains the fan art but this folder is more of a slideshow than actually bringing up the fanart for the movie you are highlighting?
The only way i could find to display the fanart for the movie selected was to press ' i ' on my keyboard...

*edit* I also can't workout how to remove a folder from the >settings page as it always want's a folder to be selected once you have and won't except a blank

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - thedeadman - 2014-03-10

Hi Bigheeed,

Ah - yeah, I get you. Your summary is correct.

To be honest, i'm not keen on revising the way fanart is handled at this point. My reasoning:
- Fanart is unpredictable in terms of quality. I personally much prefer to keep my fanart directories separate and under direct control.
- Some areas of XBMC (e.g. PVR / addons) don't necessarily have fanart.
- Rapidly cycling through large background images is a big performance hit for list-based menus, not to mention tiring on the eyes!

Good point RE: the fanart directory removal, i'll revise how that bit works.

Cheers!

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - picaresqu3 - 2014-03-11

Thanks guys!

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - bigheeed - 2014-03-11

(2014-03-10, 14:22)thedeadman Wrote: Hi Bigheeed,

To be honest, i'm not keen on revising the way fanart is handled at this point. My reasoning:
- Fanart is unpredictable in terms of quality. I personally much prefer to keep my fanart directories separate and under direct control.
- Rapidly cycling through large background images is a big performance hit for list-based menus, not to mention tiring on the eyes!

Good point RE: the fanart directory removal, i'll revise how that bit works.

Cheers!

One thing i was thinking that might be nice but I've no idea how easy it would be to implement would be an option in settings so that selecting a movie from the list actually went straight into movie information rather than starting the media playing.

Obviously this wouldn't be something everyone wanted as a lot of people probably like the minimalistic 'play the movie as quick as possible' whereas some might like it to open to the fanart/description and then play from there as you currently can if you press i.

That way its quick to navigate but you can still get a little more detail for those that want it, pressing ' i ' currently looks great with the moving fanart and it seems a shame for it to be so hidden. I understand its probably not that hard to hit ' i ' for people with custom remotes but i use the stock tv remote with CEC and those are always limited on the amount of keys that work with the device and not the tv.

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - thedeadman - 2014-03-11

It's not possible to do that sadly.

One thing I experimented with a while ago was activating info by pushing right, but that action conflicted with the scrollbar Undecided

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - bigheeed - 2014-03-11

(2014-03-11, 12:09)thedeadman Wrote: It's not possible to do that sadly.

One thing I experimented with a while ago was activating info by pushing right, but that action conflicted with the scrollbar Undecided

That's a shame, looking good otherwise! I'm in that tricky group of people who loves the minimal look as I'm sure it will run great on my pi (currently only tried it on win7) but like having the fanart/film info and media tags enabled on everything.

Keep it up though i'm sure it will be great.

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - Jeroen - 2014-03-11

(2014-03-11, 11:44)bigheeed Wrote: One thing i was thinking that might be nice but I've no idea how easy it would be to implement would be an option in settings so that selecting a movie from the list actually went straight into movie information rather than starting the media playing.

settings -> video -> file lists -> default select action: Show information ?

Well, there's a thing. I never spotted that option in all the years i've used XBMC.

That'll certainly do the trick - thanks Jeroen!

(2014-03-10, 14:22)thedeadman Wrote: Hi Bigheeed,

Cheers!

Would it be very difficult to create a toggle that could enable/disable this feature, as to keep with the spirit of minimalism but enable the fanart for those who are freaks like me?

Either way, really love your work man. Keep it up Big Grin

Hi Picaresqu3,

OK, I'll look into adding it as a user-specified option - something like 'always display active item fanart if available'.

Big Grin

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - bigheeed - 2014-03-12

(2014-03-11, 13:16)Jeroen Wrote:
(2014-03-11, 11:44)bigheeed Wrote: One thing i was thinking that might be nice but I've no idea how easy it would be to implement would be an option in settings so that selecting a movie from the list actually went straight into movie information rather than starting the media playing.

settings -> video -> file lists -> default select action: Show information ?

Don't you hate it when you have a really brilliant idea and someone beats you to it.....

Awesome thanks for that, i also had no idea that existed and it works great on this skin. Keeps it fast but with a little bit of extra info.

(2014-03-11, 17:36)thedeadman Wrote: Hi Picaresqu3,

OK, I'll look into adding it as a user-specified option - something like 'always display active item fanart if available'.

Sounds good! Although i think my needs are satisfied with the push select for info....
Any plans on adding the media tags to either the list view or info page? Probably the last thing id like to see.

RE: [WIP] Maximinimalism - thedeadman - 2014-03-12

@bigheeed
Displaying additional media tags added to the list :-)