Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - allen00se - 2014-06-26

(2014-06-26, 17:45)OmniBlade Wrote: I don't think so, the only way to know what files are missing is from the log. Remember this is all experimental so you need to be able to do your own troubleshooting. If it still crashes, check what the log says, it might be more missing files (in which case it should tell you which) or it might be an implementation issue.

Ok, good to know. I definitely don't mind doing some troubleshooting, I just thought it was more fleshed out than that and didn't want to waste my time if someone had already done the work. Are we reporting these issues and collecting files somewhere for future releases?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - OmniBlade - 2014-06-27

The problem with collecting the files is that many are copyrighted and would face takedowns, mainly the bios files taken from many of the real systems. Its probably not an issue with the nestopia file which looks like its a file the author generated to help with region detection or some such, but it certainly will affect systems like the mednafen cores.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - allen00se - 2014-06-27

(2014-06-27, 08:59)OmniBlade Wrote: The problem with collecting the files is that many are copyrighted and would face takedowns, mainly the bios files taken from many of the real systems. Its probably not an issue with the nestopia file which looks like its a file the author generated to help with region detection or some such, but it certainly will affect systems like the mednafen cores.

I can see how that would be an issue. I think something that would be beneficial would at least be to have the plugin build all of the necessary directories and maybe even have text files in those dirs that list the files needed to run. Maybe this is the plan already and I just dont know it.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - zag - 2014-06-27

Yes it needs to be much more clear to the user.

Like an error message saying "Copyrighted bios not found. Please copy to blah blah"

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - noiz13 - 2014-06-30

is i t possible to have retroplayer xbmc on a usb stick for portable use?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - CronoTS - 2014-06-30

(2014-06-30, 09:49)noiz13 Wrote: is i t possible to have retroplayer xbmc on a usb stick for portable use?

It should work if you take the openelec version i guess. Maybe someone else has already tried?

(2014-06-30, 15:33)CronoTS Wrote:
(2014-06-30, 09:49)noiz13 Wrote: is i t possible to have retroplayer xbmc on a usb stick for portable use?

It should work if you take the openelec version i guess. Maybe someone else has already tried?

i thought to just install in on normally on the stick like you would do on the C: drive

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - teeedubb - 2014-06-30

Yes and run xbmc in portable mode.

(2014-06-30, 15:49)teeedubb Wrote: Yes and run xbmc in portable mode.

how do i do that?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - teeedubb - 2014-06-30

Google is your friend.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - Kib - 2014-07-01

Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode (wiki)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - guranbanan - 2014-07-04

Don't want to put pressure on you but if, and I mean if you plan on making another OE 4 build - would you then please consider making it based on OE 4.0.6? Smile

Some AMD systems (including mine) don't work with the earlier version.

But again, only if you happen to find the time - sometime!

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - garbear - 2014-07-05

@guranbanan

1. no, i don't have the time
2. i rebased on Gotham 13.1 and built OE 4.0.6 anyway Smile

see OP for downloads

edit: a few strings got lost in the rebase. purely cosmetic, when i fix and upload new images/installers i'll let you guys know. other things may have been messed up in the rebase, feedback welcome!

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - guranbanan - 2014-07-06

Thank you so much! Right now I'm just trying to get my 360 controller to work. I think it boils down to configuring the keymaps.xml file correctly, which I haven't really figured out yet.

As far as feedback concerns, well, first of all, great job!

I love that the whole process of launching a game is no harder than starting a movie. And that XBMC automatically suggests compatible emulators when none is installed. For the moment I've tested four five emulators; SNES9x Next, Nestopia, bNES, Mupen64plus & Genesis Plus GX.

Snes9x, bNES and Genesis works (smoothly and with sound)!

Nestopia crashes immediately when trying to load a rom. So does Mupen64Plus
Code:
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting Files
00:04:59 T:140592670369600   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(Files) failed
00:05:00 T:140591912441600  NOTICE: Thread JobWorker start, auto delete: true
00:05:05 T:140592670369600   ERROR: AddOnLog: Nintendo 64 (Mupen64plus): Setting "mupen64-astick-deadzone" has invalid value: "
                                            "
00:05:05 T:140592670369600   ERROR: AddOnLog: Nintendo 64 (Mupen64plus): Setting "mupen64-virefresh" has invalid value: "Ü"
00:05:05 T:140592670369600   ERROR: GAME - Serialize() - addon 'gameclient.mupen64plus' returned an error: the command failed
00:05:05 T:140592670369600   ERROR: GAME: Unable to serialize state, proceeding without save or rewind
And unfortunately, Genesis crashes a bit Sonic the Hedgehog
Code:
ERROR: CAESinkALSA - snd_pcm_writei(-32) Broken pipe - trying to recover

Regarding Mupen, I tried tinkering with the addon settings but it seems to have no effect - and according to the settings xml - there is no "Ü" as the log file says. But maybe it has something to do with the lost strings you mentioned in your edit. I probably should mention that in the Mupen configurator, none of the settings display any strings.

Anyway, thanks a lot. It's really great to have all these emulators fully integrated in the XBMC interface like this! Smile

Oh, and just a quick question: first I updated from a regular OE Release by copying the SYSTEM and KERNEL files to the /.update-folder. It worked absolutely fine, but the unfortunately, the first emulators I tried were Mupen and Nestopia Smile As I wrote in my previous post, they both crash. So I decided it would be better to do a clean install, which I did, only to discover that the problems remained. Then I tried the other emulators, which seem to work great.

So, would it be correct to assume that a clean install isn't needed for this, that a simple update should be fine?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Gotham) - guranbanan - 2014-07-06

Also wanted to add that when launching Nestopia, this error appears in the log:
Code:
ERROR: AddOnLog: NES / Famicom (NEStopia): NstDatabase.xml required to detect region and some mappers.