Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-07-07

my repo is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc. the branch is retroplayer-15beta2. When I rebase on Isengard rc1 over the next few weeks, i'll create a new branch named retroplayer-rc1 and squash my current work into the commits that I'll be including in the eventual pull request.

The libretro cores are compiled as part of our build system. Only problem is, not many of these cores have been ported over to the build system (see the Game add-ons support matrix i've been working on)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Scourge - 2015-07-07

(2015-07-06, 22:35)garbear Wrote: haha almost had it last time. try the new build with both commits reverted

Almost there Tongue

Both errors I reported earlier seem fixed. However, shutting down Kodi through the 'Exit' menu option results in a crash 'Kodi has stopped working'.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Solo0815 - 2015-07-07

are zipped ROMs already supported?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Scourge - 2015-07-07

I had to unpack mine in order to get it to load (NES).

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-07-08

loading ROMs from zips might have broke. I'll look into this

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Bunkum - 2015-07-09

Sorry, this is probably pretty dumb, but I've searched to no avail.

I've just installed 06072015 and I cant find where to add on emulators (is it a repo?)

I've read where you say just open the file, and kodi should install it, but kodi wont see any of my ROM files in the Games tab, only file explorer.

What super obvious step have I missed?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-07-09

i listed this in the build notes, but only Nestopia has been fully adapted to the new build system.

Most of the other cores have been ported but still need some tweaks to their CMake stuff. Unfortunately I'm working on Kodi a lot in VMs, and building inside a VM is too slow for me to iterate over build system changes.

If someone could help get the remaining cores running then we could start including them in the builds.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - natethomas - 2015-07-09

(2015-07-09, 15:38)garbear Wrote: Most of the other cores have been ported but still need some tweaks to their CMake stuff. Unfortunately I'm working on Kodi a lot in VMs, and building inside a VM is too slow for me to iterate over build system changes.

Let me know if you need hardware. One of the basic points of the Foundation is to get devs hardware when they need it. Smile

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Heat - 2015-07-09

Been trying the d1b1e51 build, and have the same experience as Scourge, fixed missed file but kodi crashes when I exit.

Got a question garbear, anyway to toggle kodi so the gamepad doesn't control kodi if its not the active window? Had the twitch addon running yesterday, and was going to play a steam game on a side window, but it started controlling kodi.

As for the emulator, it would be cool if for example, I hit the 360's xbox button, and it shows a menu list with load, save, exit the game, etc options.

Good work so far! Smile

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-09, 22:26)Heat Wrote: Been trying the d1b1e51 build, and have the same experience as Scourge, fixed missed file but kodi crashes when I exit.

problem in the code that saves button maps to xml. i'm planning on refactoring this part in a week or two and i'll make sure this crash on exit gets fixed.

(2015-07-09, 22:26)Heat Wrote: Got a question garbear, anyway to toggle kodi so the gamepad doesn't control kodi if its not the active window? Had the twitch addon running yesterday, and was going to play a steam game on a side window, but it started controlling kodi.

I'll check how the old joystick code accomplished this. chances are it'll be ugly, but i can fix regardless

Also I noticed another bug: gamepads are always captured by the playing game, even if it's playing in the background. I think the best option would be to send input to Kodi instead of the game when the game is in the background

(2015-07-09, 22:26)Heat Wrote: As for the emulator, it would be cool if for example, I hit the 360's xbox button, and it shows a menu list with load, save, exit the game, etc options.

after a clever hack on windows, i've gotten the xbox button recognized on all platforms. The button key mappable via joystick.xml so we can have it do anything we'd like.

what activity would you like to see in a game? a simple menu, or the fullscreen video overlay (modified with game options like save and load)? what if a game add-on wants to handle the xbox button instead of kodi, how would this menu be opened then?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - da-anda - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 00:09)garbear Wrote: Also I noticed another bug: gamepads are always captured by the playing game, even if it's playing in the background. I think the best option would be to send input to Kodi instead of the game when the game is in the background
It somehow doesn't make sense to have the game running in background, so we could just as well pause it once we're outside fullscreen window?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Heat - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 00:09)garbear Wrote: what activity would you like to see in a game? a simple menu, or the fullscreen video overlay (modified with game options like save and load)? what if a game add-on wants to handle the xbox button instead of kodi, how would this menu be opened then?

Well, dont know if these options are posible, but I'm going to put them anyway:
  • Save/load game
  • Change game
  • Quit
  • Show fps
  • Screen size options
  • Cheats
  • Online multiplayer (Netplay is it called?)
  • a quick link for the controller options in case a game plays better with different settings(or a way to set game profiles if its posible) or setting up player 2 controller

When you say the fullsceen video overlay, you mean this one? Would be great, but how will the game work? Will it be paused upon pressing the button to show the overlay?

I was thinking somethink like the addons menu. Where the image displayed on the right is the paused game, and maybe with the games info below. Problem I could see would be the fast forward/rewind wont work with this...

You could maybe mix them, having the menu list for more in depth options, and the overlay with the pause, rwn/fwd,save/load,exit, and some commonly used options. Whatever you find easier and possible.

As for the xbox button, well it could be binded to two buttons pressed like left button + xbox button for the list menu, and right button + xbox button for overlay menu, or something similar.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 08:30)da-anda Wrote: It somehow doesn't make sense to have the game running in background, so we could just as well pause it once we're outside fullscreen window?

I'm hesitant to pause the game when leaving fullscreen because video's don't pause - unless you hit the pause button on the remote, which ofc works on games as well.

(2015-07-10, 14:21)Heat Wrote: Well, dont know if these options are posible, but I'm going to put them anyway:
  • Save/load game
  • Change game
  • Quit
  • Show fps
  • Screen size options
  • Cheats
  • Online multiplayer (Netplay is it called?)
  • a quick link for the controller options in case a game plays better with different settings(or a way to set game profiles if its posible) or setting up player 2 controller

Re: save/load - Once I turned the bookmark manager into a save state manager that showed you all your save states with a thumbnail, date and time played. I dropped it because the save state db needed much work. Once the db for the game library is done, i'll resurrect my save state work.

Re: screen size options - already exists. the aspect ratio can be changed just like for videos (default is the Z key, I think)

Re: netplay - this might already be in progress Wink

Re: controller options - I'll make sure this is included. Eventually I'd like to add per-game controller profiles

(2015-07-10, 14:21)Heat Wrote: You could maybe mix them, having the menu list for more in depth options, and the overlay with the pause, rwn/fwd,save/load,exit, and some commonly used options. Whatever you find easier and possible.

I think combining the best of both elements would be best. Don't expect much anytime soon, I'm purposely saving most of the GUI work til last

(2015-07-10, 14:21)Heat Wrote: As for the xbox button, well it could be binded to two buttons pressed like left button + xbox button for the list menu, and right button + xbox button for overlay menu, or something similar.

I modeled joystick input after touch input, so gestures (holding, multi-pressing, rotating analog sticks, etc) are a possibility.

I've found the best approach is to start with the data. Define the XML, then program around your schema.

Here's the current joystick.xml: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/blob/retroplayer-15beta2/system/keymaps/joystick.xml

How would holding and multipress look? Holding should probably be defined like <guide mod="hold">ActivateWindow(Home)</guide>. maybe multipress could be like <combo buttons="start back lefttrigger righttrigger">ActivateWindow(ShutdownMenu)</combo>

if you write the xml, i can code it Wink

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - EGOvoruhk - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 19:00)garbear Wrote: I'm hesitant to pause the game when leaving fullscreen because video's don't pause - unless you hit the pause button on the remote, which ofc works on games as well.

Could you make it a toggleable option? Game controllers don't have a pause button, and if I've already got a controller in my hands, I don't want to put it down and grab the remote just to pause. Sure, generally there's a button mapped in game for pause or menu, but they won't have something mapped to the emulation pause button, which is more useful is you're playing a game or system that doesn't really do a proper pause, has time sensitive levels, or has an active world behind the in-game pause screen

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - N3MIS15 - 2015-07-11

(2015-07-10, 19:00)garbear Wrote: <guide mod="hold">ActivateWindow(Home)</guide>

Maybe add duration in milliseconds also.
<guide mod="hold" duration="1000">ActivateWindow(Home)</guide>