Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Montellese - 2015-08-15

https://github.com/kodi-game/peripheral.joystick/pull/11 should fix the hiccups/lag.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Scourge - 2015-08-19

I've been testing the last Windows build from the start post. The fixes by garbear improved the hickups considerably. The previous version was unplayable, but the current one had my 7 year old daughters playing Super Mario Bros all afternoon on my laptop. The freezes are noticable, but only slight. I hope the input from Montelesse will eliminate them entirely.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - a1rwulf - 2015-08-19

(2015-07-31, 12:35)Heat Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 00:35)a1rwolf Wrote: I can control kodi quite fine with my xbox360 controller, but when it comes down to emulation the joystick still seems to control kodi.
Anyone else having this issue?

I do, on my windows build, moving the left stick to the left rewinds the game. Also, I set the A & B button to 360's A & X, and if I press the B button ingame it will close the game. Its like the kodi 360 default is still working on buttons not used on the nes configuration.

Would like an option to make the joystick also emulate the d-pad, since the 360 one is horrid.

The problem was on my system - missed the buttonmap.xml within the game addon...
Took me quite a time to figure out -.-
Now I can play NES fine - still struggling with input for n64 although it should just work the same way.
Will let you know about any progress in my n64 thread.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Montellese - 2015-08-19

(2015-08-19, 10:23)Scourge Wrote: I've been testing the last Windows build from the start post. The fixes by garbear improved the hickups considerably. The previous version was unplayable, but the current one had my 7 year old daughters playing Super Mario Bros all afternoon on my laptop. The freezes are noticable, but only slight. I hope the input from Montelesse will eliminate them entirely.

Without my changes I could even reproduce the hiccups in Kodi library simply by fast scrolling through a list of items it would suddenly stop and then continue. With my changes I haven't been able to reproduce that anymore either. The fix comes from another project which faced the same problem so it's a known issue.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-08-19

Updated OP with windows build. I'm having trouble packaging the build on osx, so that platform might have to wait

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Megatron - 2015-08-20

Nice work, this fixed the glitch perfectly.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - bradwatson - 2015-08-20

Any hope for an android build at some point? Would love this on my Nexus Player or Fire TV.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - garbear - 2015-08-24

Another build uploaded, I call this my "IARL" edition because I've included emulators for all its platforms except for MAME. Please help test, my goal is to get every one of IARL's platforms in some sort of working condition.

Also, I'll do an android build once my input work is 100%

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Heat - 2015-08-24

On the nes emulator I tried dragon warrior with all the emulators and this is what I found:

1. bnes- It had some weird image problem, it showed purple and a double image. You can see some screenshots here. It also didnt have any sound.

2. quicknes- didnt have an image problem like bnes, but it had some audio distortion.

3. fceuum and nestopia didn't display any of those issues.

Neither of those emulators detected the save file I have of the game, and not to sure about this one, but it extract the file if its zipped? When I choose the zipped game another menu with the game appears, don't know if its like that or it still isn't implemented.

For the snes emulator, my files are .sfc format, and when I try to open them it gives me an error saying the following: ."sfc without zip it says error opening (game name)". If I select a zip file, it comes up with the context menu saying install emulator and add on manager. Clicking install emulator I get "Playback failed No compatible emulators found for file(game)".

Genesis emulator gives the same errors as the snes emulator. (plus there is no genesis gamepad in input settings, is that necessary for making it run?)

Will try it out more tomorrow.

Can you post debug logs?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Megatron - 2015-08-24

Same problem as Heat "error opening" with SNES (.smc) for zip files it gives me the option to "install emulator" but says "Playback Error" "no compatible emulators found for file"

As for Sega Genesis Heat did you unzip the files? .gen works fine for me... minus the Controller option (which I know is a work in progress) I think you can use the default controller option to get it to work though.

This is getting exciting, great work!

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - zachmorris - 2015-08-24

Yeah, awesome work. I've updated IARL a bit this evening to support these changes. Progress update in the IARL thread. Not everything is working perfectly, but definitely a lot of progress being made!

(2015-08-24, 02:31)Heat Wrote: 1. bnes- It had some weird image problem, it showed purple and a double image. You can see some screenshots here. It also didnt have any sound.

The weird image is caused by the libretro core failing to tell Kodi the proper video format. I saw that same problem on one of my test machines, but now I can't remember which one and they all seem to work...

The lack of sound is because a libretro feature called "single-frame audio", which bNES uses, was removed from RetroPlayer (the player core) and the Game API.

For single-frame audio to work, we'll have to modify game.libretro (the libretro wrapper for the Game API). The general strategy will be to buffer these audio frames for batch processing. I marked the status as partial in the libretro core matrix

(2015-08-24, 06:09)Megatron Wrote: Same problem as Heat "error opening" with SNES (.smc) for zip files it gives me the option to "install emulator" but says "Playback Error" "no compatible emulators found for file"

As for Sega Genesis Heat did you unzip the files? .gen works fine for me...

This is what happens when you open a .zip file: If the add-on supports VFS, Kodi will turn the path into a zip:// protocol. This protocol looks like zip://<path-to-zip-encoded>/path-to-file-in-zip. So
Code:
/var/games/Dragon Warrior (USA).nes
would translate to
Code:
zip://%2Fvar%2Fgames%2FDragon%20Warrior%20(USA).nes/

Ipso facto, if the add-on doesn't support VFS, it can't load files from within a zip. I've documented all the add-ons that support VFS in the libretro core matrix

From this point, Kodi treats the zip:// path as if a directory were played: it scans the archive for compatible game files. If one file is found, that file is played. If multiple files are found, Kodi will show a selection dialog and play the selected file.

If the archive contains no compatible files (but possibly ones with invalid extensions), and a single directory, then that directory is scanned for files instead of the root.

Here's what's happening: Kodi is looking for game add-ons that can play the .smc file within the zip. Beetle bSNES can play .smc files, but it doesn't support the VFS so it can't play zip:// paths. Because no emulators are compatible, RetroPlayer gives you the option to "install emulator". However, we aren't hosting emulators yet, so there's none to install. Here is when RetroPlayer fails with the message "no compatible emulators found for file"

(2015-08-24, 06:09)Megatron Wrote: minus the Controller option (which I know is a work in progress) I think you can use the default controller option to get it to work though.

I'll create controller add-ons for Genesis and Saturn, and add the appropriate button maps to their add-ons

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Heat - 2015-08-24

Oh sorry, was just giving it a try late at night so I didnt stay for long. Anyway, let me give you a link to the debug logs.

Nes debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/p0lobwsfi

The order of the emulator I used was: bnes,fceumm,quicknes, and nestopia. Noticed that bnes now doesn't have that purple double image, one time error I think? Still missing the audio though, and quickness has distorted audio.

Tried today the pc engine emulator, the first time I tried it with a zipped file, made it to the map screen in bomberman and it crashed kodi. I tried it unzipped, but when I select the game it crashed kodi. Now I only make it to selecting the game before it crashes the program. If I understood what garbear said correctly it seems this core supports VFS, so the table might be a little outdated on that info.

Anyway, here's the pc engine log: http://xbmclogs.com/pjvgcyu5h

And, here is the debug log of the snes: http://xbmclogs.com/pibwotqef

Quote:As for Sega Genesis Heat did you unzip the files? .gen works fine for me... minus the Controller option (which I know is a work in progress) I think you can use the default controller option to get it to work though

Ah didn't know that, yeah unzipped it and it worked, thanks Megatron. And yeah, the default controls seems to work here.

Garbear, could it be possible so that if kodi detects a controller that is xinput (e.g 360 pad) it will have some default mappings to the emulators? Kinda like Retroarch does, every core is mapped automatically. If the person doesn't like the default mappings, they could make the appropriate changes on the input menu. Its more on cutting the time setting it up, really.Big Grin

And how will setting up the bios be handled?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Isengard) - Montellese - 2015-08-24

Just a quick feedback from my 15 minute testing with Super Mario Bros for NES:
  • bNES has weird colors (everything is pink/violet) and is split screen with the screen being shown twice.
  • FCEUmm works great.
  • Nestopia works great but the background music is playing a lot faster than with FCEUmm (as if the time was running short in the game).
  • QuickNES has some visual artifacts on the left and right border and the sound is somewhat distorted.

I also tried to start a few SNES games (unzipped) but they always failed to play. Will look into the logs when I got some more time.