Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - jdig4240 - 2017-01-27

Ok, so the problem with the Latest Android test build is more than just IARL not opening. It seems no downloaded Addons will open on this build at all. The Library Node editor to edit the categories in Estuary skin Fails to open. Then, I proceeded to download Addons from the Kodi Repo. They all install fine, but none will open. Allow unknown sources is enabled.
Heres the Full log:
http://jed.one/Other%20stuff/kodi126.log

Im no expert, but by looking at the log file it seems it cannot read the addons folder, because the log says it cant load all these dependencies, however if I look at the addons folder the dependencies are indeed installed.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-01-27

Ugh, this is probably caused by the android hack to fix game add-ons. Without the patch, Kodi can find game.libretro, but it can't find the actual libretro cores. It seems that the patch fixes libretro cores, but breaks regular add-ons.

This debacle occurred because of a poor design decision I made when I rewrote RetroPlayer in early 2014. I'll have to come up with a new solution. I created a Roadmap for the tasks I plan to do before v18 is released: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/issues/80

(2017-01-27, 06:58)garbear Wrote: Ugh, this is probably caused by the android hack to fix game add-ons. Without the patch, Kodi can find game.libretro, but it can't find the actual libretro cores. It seems that the patch fixes libretro cores, but breaks regular add-ons.

This debacle occurred because of a poor design decision I made when I rewrote RetroPlayer in early 2014. I'll have to come up with a new solution. I created a Roadmap for the tasks I plan to do before v18 is released: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/issues/80

So, do you think if i package the addons and dependencies i want in the Assets/Addons folder and then build the .APK, would they then work??

(2017-01-27, 14:43)jdig4240 Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 06:58)garbear Wrote: Ugh, this is probably caused by the android hack to fix game add-ons. Without the patch, Kodi can find game.libretro, but it can't find the actual libretro cores. It seems that the patch fixes libretro cores, but breaks regular add-ons.

So, do you think if i package the addons and dependencies i want in the Assets/Addons folder and then build the .APK, would they then work??

Unfortunately, probably not. Kodi looks in the wrong place for libretro cores (on android, they are all placed in a single directory with a bunch of other .so's). We'll have to wait until game add-ons are loaded in a different fashion before we have a working Android build.

(2017-01-27, 15:39)garbear Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 14:43)jdig4240 Wrote:

Unfortunately, probably not. Kodi looks in the wrong place for libretro cores (on android, they are all placed in a single directory with a bunch of other .so's). We'll have to wait until game add-ons are loaded in a different fashion before we have a working Android build.

Ok, last question.
You mention v18 Kodi has built in Retroplayer support? So if I copy the cores to v18 and run the Konami code will RetroPlayer work in v18 for ANDROID as of now?

No, only for windows, osx and linux. Android has a bug where it tries to load the libretro cores from the wrong location, because Android is restricted in where it can load .so libraries from. So even if you copy the cores, android probably won't work (for both v17 test builds and v18)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - jdig4240 - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-27, 23:00)garbear Wrote: No, only for windows, osx and linux. Android has a bug where it tries to load the libretro cores from the wrong location, because Android is restricted in where it can load .so libraries from. So even if you copy the cores, android probably won't work (for both v17 test builds and v18)

Ok, thanks. Well even with those issues, I am still able to launch the roms fine in Android. But cant get a grip on setting up controllers still. Ive tried a few different controllers, they are all recognized and I am able to configure them in controller configuration, but they do not respond after I actually open the rom. Oh well, ill just be patient.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - Julipo - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-27, 23:00)garbear Wrote: No, only for windows, osx and linux. Android has a bug where it tries to load the libretro cores from the wrong location, because Android is restricted in where it can load .so libraries from. So even if you copy the cores, android probably won't work (for both v17 test builds and v18)

But retroarch works, and, if it works like PC, it load libretro cores too

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - jdig4240 - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-28, 20:26)Julipo Wrote:

But retroarch works, and, if it works like PC, it load libretro cores too

But your talking about RetroArch as an External emulator, the point of RetroPlayer is to eliminate the need for external emalators.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-01-29

(2017-01-23, 07:53)trihy Wrote: @garbear, do you think you can fix the controller problem on rom collection browser before v17 final release?

Problem is when selecting a game with "A" button, if you hold more than a sec, game will relaunch in loop every time you close it.
Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, this fix won't make v17.0 but I'll try to get it in v17.1
(2017-01-28, 16:48)jdig4240 Wrote: Ok, thanks. Well even with those issues, I am still able to launch the roms fine in Android. But cant get a grip on setting up controllers still. Ive tried a few different controllers, they are all recognized and I am able to configure them in controller configuration, but they do not respond after I actually open the rom. Oh well, ill just be patient.

If the controller works in the GUI, but not the game, this is a Kodi bug. Can you reproduce on windows, linux or OSX?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-02-02

(2017-01-23, 07:53)trihy Wrote: @garbear, do you think you can fix the controller problem on rom collection browser before v17 final release?

Problem is when selecting a game with "A" button, if you hold more than a sec, game will relaunch in loop every time you close it.

The fix for this got into v17 just in time.

(2017-01-23, 07:53)trihy Wrote: Or another solution could be not doing anything if holding A too long.

This is the approach I took for now.

(2017-01-23, 07:53)trihy Wrote: When you press more than a second the "enter" on keyboard to launch a game, rom collection browser will show context menu instead of launching game. I think controller should do the same when you holding A too long, to avoid the problem.

This is the approach I plan to take for v18 - allowing a "holdtime" parameter in joystick.xml.

Krypton v17 final has been tagged. I've rebased and launched a Windows and OSX build. I'll upload later tonight (probably before the official v17.0 announcement on the blog Smile )

Going forward, I would like to develop RetroPlayer against v17 for a stable base, but if master diverges too far then I'll cut my losses and start doing v18 pre-alpha builds

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - yallah - 2017-02-02

Great news Garbear thx Smile

But Milhouse propose libreelec with base v18. Possible to use v17 final?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - Solo0815 - 2017-02-02

Would also love to test Retroplayer with LE8, Kodi 17 final on RPi3

I tried to build LE8 with Kodi 17, but the patches that LE uses conflict with RetroPlayer.

In its current form, RetroPlayer v17 is just Kodi v17 with the following PRs backported:

* PR10875
* PR10964
* PR11013
* PR11022
* PR11034
* PR11035
* PR11065
* PR11066
* PR11093
* PR11097
* PR11257
* PR11262
* PR11334
* PR11571

I don't know how much work it would be to rebase these on top of the patches LE uses.