Kodi Community Forum
RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Game support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+--- Thread: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Nexus) (/showthread.php?tid=173361)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - stevieday - 2017-03-19

any answer to my question above please guys..also any way of making this work for android as i cant see no build now for it..thank you

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-03-24

I've tried for hours to get my 17.1 branch of RetroPlayer to build, but no luck. So instead of putting more effort into 17, I'll be releasing v18 builds from now on. The first two (win+osx) have been uploaded.

Note that RetroPlayer has been merged into v18, so these builds are basically just games enabled by default and including all the emulators (plus the unmerged SaveStates PR).

(2017-03-19, 12:12)stevieday Wrote: any answer to my question above please guys..also any way of making this work for android as i cant see no build now for it..thank you

Sorry, I can't get Android to build for my 17.1 or 18 alpha1 branches. I'll keep trying to get the v18 branch to build, and upload the result if I have success.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - cmiller1 - 2017-03-24

Just installed the version 18 alpha for os x.

I'm getting a hard crash of kodi when I go to Games>Keyboard in settings, anyone else seeing the same? I could post logs if needed.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - cmiller1 - 2017-03-25

Alright, I've been beating my head against the wall for two days trying to get this to work. Has anyone had any luck getting controllers to work in OS X?

I've tried four different controllers, two usb, two bluetooth. Other programs recognize the controllers properly... but when I go to System>Input in the Kodi settings there is always 0/0 peripherals and attempting to configure the controllers just results in no response from any button input on the controllers.

If I could get into the keyboard configuration and map keys for controlling games then I could easily use something like USB Overdrive to map my controller buttons to keys... but going to Games>Keyboard always results in Kodi completely freezing.

I want to get this to work desperately, I've never seen such a nicely integrated setup for running emulators on an HTPC. I'm being taunted by the gorgeous title screens of the games I launch with... no... way... to press start!

Has anyone gotten any controller to work at all in OS X? What am I missing?

I've tried a generic USB controller, a Microsoft Sidewinder controller, an SNES30 8bitdo controller which I've seen other people mention in this thread, and a generic bluetooth controller. All of these controllers I'm able to configure in other programs and they work flawlessly, but no matter what I do I can't get Kodi to see a single button push. After countless power cycles praying that maybe this time it will see SOMETHING I'm feel like I'm going crazy here trying to get this to work.

Edit: Noticed this in my debug log 11:45:38.028 T:140735157874688 DEBUG: Joystick support not found

I can't find a joystick support add-on or anything, is it not compiled into the v18 alpha that was posted?

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - cmiller1 - 2017-03-25

Alright, after a long time of trying to get peripheral.joystick to build from the GitHub repo with no success... I noticed that the build of 17.1 that's released as stable has it... So I thought hey, lemme toss that directory into my binary adding directory for 18 alpha with retro player! It might work!

Then I get this on my log and still no success reading any input from a controller...

13:32:48.740 T:140735257182208 DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - Joystick Support
13:32:48.740 T:140735257182208 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/peripheral.joystick/peripheral.joystick.1.3.1.dylib)
13:32:48.740 T:140735257182208 DEBUG: Loading: /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/addons/peripheral.joystick/peripheral.joystick.1.3.1.dylib
13:32:48.742 T:140735257182208 ERROR: ADDON: Dll Joystick Support - Client returned bad status (6) from Create and is not usable

Yay... I guess I was just destined to not be able to play games this way.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-03-25

Sorry for all your troubles! I've sent a PR to fix the problem that excluded peripheral.joystick from the 18 alpha 1 build: https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick/pull/94 . I'll upload a new build in a few hours with this fixed.

Copying peripheral.joystick from the 17.1 build should have worked... I wish the error msg was more descriptive so I could see exactly what failed.

I'm trying to reproduce the keyboard settings crash now.

EDIT: The keyboard settings crash is fixed in PR11903. I'll include this fix in the build I'm uploading later today.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - cmiller1 - 2017-03-26

You rock garbear! It makes me feel so much better realizing I wasn't just being stupid about how I was trying to set things up! Can't wait to try that next build.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-03-26

(2017-03-26, 13:21)cmiller1 Wrote: You rock garbear! It makes me feel so much better realizing I wasn't just being stupid about how I was trying to set things up! Can't wait to try that next build.

Updated builds have been posted.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - cmiller1 - 2017-03-26

This is working flawlessly for me now! Absolutely wonderful.

This is the most perfect integrated gaming and home theater experience ever, I have achieved entertainment nirvana...

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - docwra - 2017-03-27

Yep can confirm its working really well here on a test windows install. Nice!

I'd like to write a getting started guide so can I ask a few quick questions:

- What are the default key mappings on the keyboard? EDIT: OK "z" is the start button.
- Is there any way to show game artwork yet? If so, what name and format should the jpg file be?
- Is it recommended to store in zip files? If so is it possible to launch the rom from a zip file without a click to open it first?
- What controllers are currently supported "out of the box"?

Thanks!

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - motamas - 2017-03-27

After a long time away i want to try to set up a Retroplayer on the newest release.
I'am a little bit confused and don't know what i have to do to get started on a RPi.
A could download the new milhouse release and should insert secret cheat code?
Which code and where i should insert the code?
Sry for the silly question and thanks for help Big Grin

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - Powerhouse - 2017-03-27

Would love to test this on Android (have several Nvidia Shield TV's, that this seems made for). Any chance for a new build for Android?

Also, @zag....errr....@docwra, If you could put together a guild that would be awesome. I would test the install guide and provide you feedback if you would like (I do have a Windows Box available for this).

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-03-27

(2017-03-27, 09:59)docwra Wrote: - What are the default key mappings on the keyboard? EDIT: OK "z" is the start button.

The keyboard is mapped to a controller via these XMLs. The current SNES mapping is to map a fight stick for Street Fighter on the SNES. This can be overwritten. If you could map the keyboard to the RetroArch keyboard controls then that would be awesome.

(2017-03-27, 09:59)docwra Wrote: - Is there any way to show game artwork yet? If so, what name and format should the jpg file be?

I'm waiting for a game database. What file/folder structure do other game browsers use? I could hack in temporary support for local fanart to hold us over until the DB is ready.

(2017-03-27, 09:59)docwra Wrote: - Is it recommended to store in zip files? If so is it possible to launch the rom from a zip file without a click to open it first?

Only some emulators support loading from zip files: See the "Supports VFS" field in the wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/Game_add-ons . It used to be possible to launch a zip directly, then RetroPlayer would look inside and launch a game if found. It's complicated because some cores compiled with zlib can load zips directly. I ultimately removed this feature to keep the code size down for the merge. If you can think of a good algorithm I'll reinclude this feature.

(2017-03-27, 09:59)docwra Wrote: - What controllers are currently supported "out of the box"?

The goal is 100% controller support. Currently it's only controllers that have been submitted for that platform: https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick/tree/master/peripheral.joystick/resources/buttonmaps/xml.

My plans to reach 100% include:

* Begging users for more controller maps
* Kodi's old joystick families
* Fall back to mapping across platforms
* Fall back to controllers with identical geometry (button/axis count)
* RetroArch configs (they're almost at 100% for some platforms)

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - garbear - 2017-03-27

(2017-03-27, 16:22)motamas Wrote: I'am a little bit confused and don't know what i have to do to get started on a RPi.

A could download the new milhouse release and should insert secret cheat code?

Which code and where i should insert the code?

Yes, grab a milhouse code and insert the secret cheat code. BTW... it's secret Wink Hint: it's the "most famous cheat code".

The milhouse builds are missing my savestate work from PR11034 . If you asked him, I'm sure he'd include it. I've fixed all the merge conflicts. Aside from that, the builds are only missing the temporary hack that forces .zip, .iso, .cue and .bin to be identified as games instead of videos. This can be accomplished by removing these extensions in advancedsettings.xml.

RE: RetroPlayer Test Builds (updated for Krypton) - cmiller1 - 2017-03-27

I'm absolutely in love with this. I'm fine with no game art for now, there are a few quality of life improvements I'd like to see that I think in my head are more important.

First of all, emulator core selection, if there was a way to check "always use this emulator" for each game it would be so nice. I have hundreds of ROMs and some of them run best in one emulator, some in another, and it's annoying to try to remember which for all of them.

Secondly, the setting for Skip Steps really needs to be separated from regular videos, for videos I want my smallest skip steps in the 5-10 second range, with video games you often really want to only skip back half a second or a second. As a bonus dream feature, I would love for hitting the skip forward button to cause the emulator to go into 2x and then 4x etc. speed!

Everything else is working fantastically for me. I control everything with an Apple IR remote, which is super simple and only has 7 buttons, and then pick up my bluetooth gamepad after selecting a game. This setup is incredible because whenever I've set up emulation console computers before, there was always the annoying part of how you leave the emulator and get back to your ROM list. Last time I did an RPi build like that I ended up having to come up with a super complicated set of multiple buttons to be held on the gamepad to perform functions like save states and leaving the emulator, and even then the combination would sometimes get hit by accident during regular gameplay; if you have a controller with the spare buttons to set for those functions it's nice but you still run the risk of accidentally hitting them while playing. Now with Kodi I can play on my gamepad, and grab the IR remote to perform all of those functions! This is truly the nicest and most polished way I've ever seen to play emulated games on an HTPC.