Kodi Community Forum
Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? (/showthread.php?tid=174990)

Pages: 1 2

Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-10-05

I have had limited success with my ATV1 running BOXEE and XMBC, also tried OpenELEC. By limited I mean it usually starts out OK, but eventually I run into glitches and the ATV can't actually find the media although the library listing shows up. About 4 months ago, we had some family issues that were far more important than banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why the system just couldn't run for more than a week or so I just unplugged everything and forgot about it. So... now I'm thinking I should get back to my setup and here's my options:

1. Buy another ready-to-go ATV on eBay; either the original ATV1 or a ATV2 and see if that resolves the problem (maybe its my ATV1 or my ineptitude in performing a solid patch to my ATV).

2. Buy a Raspberry ready-to-go and abandon the Apple hardware.

3. Start from scratch once more on my ATV1.

I have no clue about how well (if at all) the Raspberry would work with my network and iMac or whether it compares favorably or unfavorably with my ATV1 which has the micro card mod. My media library is currently on a USB drive which is connected to my Mac's (and network), my ATV1 was/is hard-wired to my Airport Extreme.

At this point, all I can hope for is some advice and information. I have a friend who would probably give me his ATV2 (black) if I just bought him a ATV3 at the store. And if this is in the wrong section please move it to the right one.

Thanks in advance... -Mike

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Ned Scott - 2013-10-05

Have you tried Crystalbuntu? I love OpenELEC, I really do, but on the ATV1 I've always had better luck with Crystalbuntu. There's a few issues here and there, but I haven't had any like you've been describing. There's also a nightly Gotham-based build for Crystalbuntu with even more fixes.

IIRC, one of the issues you were having before is your ATV1 seemed to run hotter and at a higher CPU than normal. I think there was some progress on figuring out what caused that, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the forum link right now. I'll post it if I can find it.

At this point I wouldn't buy another ATV1. Maybe if you find one in really good condition for a really good price, but their ebay prices have actually risen. Now it's very possible to slap something together that's small and has much more power, ram, etc, and is under $150 USD. We're talking a desktop-class system too, not ARM. Intel Celeron seems to become the golden boy for x86-HTPCs on the hardware forum, and I can see why.

Raspberry Pi has gone a long way, but assuming you can get both to work, it's still going to be slower than an ATV1. Totally usable, though. If the issue is stability and such, then getting a Raspberry Pi that's a little slower, but stable, could be a good option. It's hard to buy a Pi and have it go to waste, since there's always so many things you can do with it. (Make it a wireless speaker connection for UPnP and AirPlay for some old speakers, for example. Or build your own drone!)

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-10-30

Ned...

I haven't posted much because I'm so frustrated with the stability of the ATV1. I've never had any heat issues that were noted in my posts IIRC... but these units do run a bit warm. That was one reason why I took the bottom off and added my unique stand-off legs LOL. Better air circulation. Physically mine is in near perfect condition, but while the diagnostics come back OK... I still don't know why it won't or can't maintain communication with my USB Fantom media drive. It may be something as simple as my inability to do a solid patch, or maybe its not being able to properly interface the remote media drive. When this device works, it works great. I haven't used it for months or powered it up bc I had too many other things going on including dealing with the passing of my wife's dad in July. We're slowly getting back to normal, and I'd like to get _something_ working for the holidays.

I have installed the Crystalbuntu Micro Card and that did make for smoother playback. I also tried OpenELEC and love the concept, but again, I just could not keep the system up and running. So you didn't say anything about the ATV2... is that unit any more "stable" when patched?

EDIT:
Been reading, wondering about these Android-type STBs like Geniatech, Mygica ATV520, MiniX Neo X5, etc. which are also being sold on eBay and Amazon. I don't really need to surf the internet, I'd just like a fast, stable device that will work with a hard-wired ethernet, and communicate with my media drive. Are these any better than an ATV1 or ATV2 relative to stability? I just want to play the movies using XMBC or something similar.

Always appreciate your comments and advice. -Mike

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Ned Scott - 2013-10-31

When I say Crystalbuntu, I mean the XBMC/OS combo (see http://crystalbuntu.com ), rather than the CrystalHD video card :)

The only issues I have with my two ATV1s are:
• It likes to crash on AirPlay when sending a URL (most video sites and apps). It will play okay from an iOS device when the iOS device has the video file directly. I hear there is a fix in the works for this in a future Crystalbuntu update
• On both Crystalbuntu and OpenELEC, certain video add-ons don't like to fast forward or rewind when using the CrystalHD video decoder. They normally play fine when the CrystalHD video decoding is turned off in XBMC's settings, but it can be a bit of a pain to switch back and forth.
• The CrystalHD video decoding card also seems to have issues with LiveTV/PVR, but like the video add-ons, the ATV1 can handle the decoding with the BCHD turned off.

That being said, one ATV1 in my bedroom is still my daily HTPC, and I would call it more stable than the ATV2 and any Android box that I've personally used (though I believe some Android boxes are actually more powerful, raw CPU wise, than the ATV1).

If all else fails, personally, I would still keep with an x86 (desktop class CPU) system. While ARM/Android is having some fantastic improvements, and can be bought very cheaply, the x86 systems are also dropping in price. Something like an Intel Celeron NUC can be had "barebones" for $135, and you just add RAM and a USB boot stick, and that will blow the ATV1, ATV2, and all the Android boxes out of the water. You could even install Windows on it if you needed to. Maybe even Mac OS X (not sure, haven't checked out the hackintosh scene in a while). The whole thing should doable for less than $150. There's even a new NUC coming out next year that will be retail at $135 and will have a built-in IR port and additional analog audio output, but even the current NUC is still a good deal.

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-11-04

Hey Ned...

You keep me thinking buddy LOL. Probably the most intriguing suggestion in your post is that I should consider a x86 system... and I guess that means a "NUC" type device? When you say a barebones, do you mean just a PCB ("NUC motherboard") where I flesh it out with some DDR RAM and a USB stick? I have no need to install windows, I just want a BOX that has a audio OUT, HDMI OUT, Ethernet, and it should be able to run XBMC and/or OpenELEC and talk to and stream from my dedicated Media drive which is run of the mill Fantom USB 2.0. And of course, I'd like to be able to control it with a remote.

Is there a web site or source where one can order this stuff (i.e.everything from the board to the case, memory remote, etc.)? While I remember that you can try crystalbuntu on a USB stick, but is there any way (or benefit) to have the boot come from something small yet faster than a 4GB USB stick? How much memory is needed to run one of these gadgets? And is there a particular board I should be looking at or should I wait for the one scheduled for intro at the end of December?

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Ned Scott - 2013-11-04

Barebones NUCs also has a case. I think they also need an external power brick. The community has a ton of great info on them here: NUC (wiki). The current one doesn't have built-in analog audio out, but next year's model will, and it will also have an IR port for remotes. That might be the one to aim for,

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-11-06

(2013-11-04, 21:42)Ned Scott Wrote: Barebones NUCs also has a case. I think they also need an external power brick. The community has a ton of great info on them here: NUC (wiki). The current one doesn't have built-in analog audio out, but next year's model will, and it will also have an IR port for remotes. That might be the one to aim for,

My ATV is "working" for the moment, so no big rush. I will probably wait for the "next year's model" although I wish it had an optical audio out... even though I'm not 100% sure about how to use an optical cord with an ATV1 much less an unknown (to me) like the NUC. Sent you another PM (gulp).

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - IhuckleberryI - 2013-11-06

The rasp has come along way but don't give upon the atv 1 you have options(besides it really looks the best and is argueably the most solid built piece of xbmc box's around that sucker has weight.lol) try out crystalbuntu 2.0 first. CB has been running fine for me for a couple years no complaints same hard drive too? and we all know how warm the box gets. To still have the orginal drive running is wild. Since my box was made in 07 or 08 i believe.

Maybe if you were debating say the BC card vs a whole raspberry theirs a good monetary debate since the 2 are around the same price. The answer would be run both on 2 tv's.

But try CB out first definitley, I agree with the others

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-11-06

Ned...

Its working with Crystalbuntu right now and I've switched to the network drive rather than have the mess I had before with SMB. My ATV has the correct Broadcom card in it also. I'm giving it a workout and may possibly install CB to the ATV's 40Gb HDD as the wiki states it runs even better. Just need to figure out what the optical cable is doing... if its really being used (I have it connected).

Mike

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-11-17

OK... I screwed up something and need to fix it. I've got my movie collection moved over on a new NAS, and I'm trying to set it up as the media source. IIRC, I need to put the New NAS IP address someplace but I can't remember where. Please don't laugh Smile I'm serious.

I'm pretty sure I need to go to the main XBMC menu, slide over to VIDEOS/Add Videos/Add Video Source/Browse and then Browse for a new share right? Then I go down that list to under all the regular selections and click on Add Network Location which opens up a pop-up called Add Network Location and I have to pick a protocol. That is what I'm stuck on. Do I use Windows Network (SMB) or do I select some other protocol? I think its something else that will ask me for the IP address of the NAS drive, but there's so many choices under Protocol I'm not sure which one it is. So somebody please steer me to the right choice. I'm going over to the wiki to see if there are specific instructions on NAS Drives and Protocol, but feel free to jump in and help me out.

Mike

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Ned Scott - 2013-11-18

Actually, it's very much a pain in the butt for all of us when we have to point the library at a different location (for various reasons). The easiest way being to rebuild the library in the new network location, which can still be a pain :)

SMB is one of the more common file sharing protocols, so that's likely the one you want. In many cases you can also browse to the NAS location by using the SMB browser (after you hit "browse"), or the Zeroconf browser.

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-11-18

Thanks Ned (as always). I've copied all my files over to the new drive and removed the files from the old one after spot testing a bunch of movies. I did however notice a weird side effect. I am now seeing double entries on almost every movie. I googled this and see that its a phenomena that can happen that I've never seen before. Is there a "simple" way to eliminate the duplicate copy listings? I looked on the drive and of course... there are no duplicates so I'm assuming its a glitch of some sort in XBMC? Should I reboot the ATV?

And BTW, what I did prior to this was read the wiki and it seemed that SMB would be the way to go for a NAS drive. For those curious, I am using a WD MyCloud 3TB drive as my NAS drive that way I have tons of space and won't back up against the wall by running out of it LOL. The drive works fine, and my ATV1 with Broadcom card and Crystalbuntu seems to be working perfectly as far as playback goes. So for the moment... I'm sticking with the modded ATV1 as long as it continues to work this well (duplicate listings withstanding LOL).

Mike

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Ned Scott - 2013-11-18

XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Clean library

That should take care of the duplicates, in theory.

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - DrGrafix - 2013-11-19

(2013-11-18, 17:14)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Clean library

That should take care of the duplicates, in theory.

That was too easy LOL. Seems to have done it though. Thanks.

RE: Stick w/ATV or jump to Raspberry? - Ned Scott - 2013-11-19

Good to hear :)