Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - herbieUK - 2014-04-04

Thanks very much Nickr. I'm doing it right now, will let you know how it goes.
Cheers

er..I used to stop xbmc using
sudo initctl stop xbmc
i tried
initctl stop xbmc
neither worked.
I have an i5 Nuc with just OE on it, so can I can actually stop xbmc but keep the unit on with SSH access?

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-04-04

Ummmm good point with openelec. Not sure.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - herbieUK - 2014-04-04

It's all FIXED! - Of course it had nothing to do with XBMC settings..
Ever since I got my TV, the aspect ratio has been set to "Auto"
I just spent a while pulling my hair out because I couldn't find any settings from within the manual to fix the aspect ratio to 16:9.
Eventually I realised that there is a button on the TV remote (which we actually only use for powering on the TV) for aspect ratio - now it's fixed on 16:9 and I've reset all XBMC calibration back to zero..And we have rock solid wonderful playback!!
I'm so happy!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it's wealth of information, especially for new users like myself..

Cheers

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - scarecrow420 - 2014-04-04

(2014-04-03, 11:10)marcus2704 Wrote: I'm about to purchase the below for my NUC XBMC build, if someone could confirm Ive made the right choices before I buy I would be VERY grateful.

Intel D34010WYK3 Core i3 4010U 1.7GHz NUC Barebone

4GB 1600MHz DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM 1.35V

Kingston SSDNow 60GB mSATA 6Gbps SSD

Xenta HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable - 2m
I thought the NUC has Mini HDMI not Micro HDMI ? Everything else seems fine though...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - jinkyjim - 2014-04-04

(2014-04-04, 14:54)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 11:10)marcus2704 Wrote: I'm about to purchase the below for my NUC XBMC build, if someone could confirm Ive made the right choices before I buy I would be VERY grateful.

Intel D34010WYK3 Core i3 4010U 1.7GHz NUC Barebone

4GB 1600MHz DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM 1.35V

Kingston SSDNow 60GB mSATA 6Gbps SSD

Xenta HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable - 2m
I thought the NUC has Mini HDMI not Micro HDMI ? Everything else seems fine though...

It is the HDMI mini....i have the
i3 D34010WYK3

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - focke_oeuf - 2014-04-04

Hi guys, does anyone have news about a fix for the WOL bug in i3 NUCs?

Also I have another question about audio playback.
I have my NUC plugged onto an AVR receiver, which decodes all HD audio codecs for videos. When it does this, I can see that it decodes an HD audio stream by a little logo appearing.
When I play FLAC audio files, the AVR does not seem to change anything, and thus I'm wondering how the NUC is sending the audio stream to the receiver (which seems not to see any HD audio stream but a "normal" one).
I chose the i3 instead of the Bay Trail in part because of the HD audio chip, but now I'm wondering if it is usefull only for video playback...

Is it normal or am I missing something?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - axbmcuser - 2014-04-04

(2014-03-24, 16:26)zag Wrote:
(2014-03-24, 15:59)axbmcuser Wrote:
(2014-03-06, 20:21)zag Wrote: For me r17780 is the last working release using livetv and hardware acceleration.

Can anyone else confirm its broken in recent releases? It seems fine on videos, just not Live TV

I also get blocking/artefacts with all the latest nightlies with Live-TV on my D54250WYK(H). As you mentioned, videos are fine.

I tried an old build around the one you mentioned (i used r17733) and with that one hardware accerlation + Live TV works fine.

+1 from me regarding what you experience. Undecided

Post a debug log so we can see whats going on.

I have a feeling it was the openelec commit that has caused this. Every new nightly has blocking on live tv now.

EDIT: Going back to openelec nightly r17780 from 21st February, WORKING
EDIT2: Going back to openelec nightly r17824 from 27th Feburary, BROKEN

Hey zag, hey guys,

here is my debug log regarding broken livetv / livetv-blocking with hw-accel starting _after_ build ~r17780.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=165988

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Nafi - 2014-04-04

(2014-04-04, 20:52)axbmcuser Wrote: here is my debug log regarding broken livetv / livetv-blocking with hw-accel starting _after_ build ~r17780.

which tuner do you use?

for me, i have two dvb-s2 tuners:

DVBSky S960 : no problems in LiveTV.
PCTV 461e: lot of artifacts in LiveTV with and without HW-accelleration. card itself is working fine when watching in VLC

so maybe it depends on the dvb tuner for some reason.

unfortunately i don't have the pctv stick at my place now, so i can't test whether it's working in builds before 17780 or not.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - axbmcuser - 2014-04-04

Terratec Cinergy HTC USB XS (Rev2)
http://www.conrad.de/medias/global/ce/9000_9999/9400/9410/9416/941648_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

No problems before the mentioned builds. So something must have changed, as zag also noticed. Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-04-05

(2014-04-04, 17:56)focke_oeuf Wrote: Hi guys, does anyone have news about a fix for the WOL bug in i3 NUCs?

I have my NUC plugged onto an AVR receiver, which decodes all HD audio codecs for videos. When it does this, I can see that it decodes an HD audio stream by a little logo appearing.
When I play FLAC audio files, the AVR does not seem to change anything, and thus I'm wondering how the NUC is sending the audio stream to the receiver (which seems not to see any HD audio stream but a "normal" one).
I chose the i3 instead of the Bay Trail in part because of the HD audio chip, but now I'm wondering if it is usefull only for video playback...

I am pretty sure flac will be decoded to PCM by XBMC and passed as PCM to the AVR.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - trsqr - 2014-04-05

(2014-04-04, 20:52)axbmcuser Wrote: here is my debug log regarding broken livetv / livetv-blocking with hw-accel starting _after_ build ~r17780.

Don't know anything about your specific problem, but my Live TV blocking issues with the PCTV 290e disappeared when I updated to OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 3. I still have not tried the Beta 4 though.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - FernetMenta - 2014-04-05

(2014-04-04, 17:56)focke_oeuf Wrote: Hi guys, does anyone have news about a fix for the WOL bug in i3 NUCs?

There is no specification that defines how to bistream flac via HDMI. You won't have any benefit in sending the raw stream to your AVR.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - noggin - 2014-04-05

(2014-04-04, 21:39)Nafi Wrote:

which tuner do you use?

for me, i have two dvb-s2 tuners:

DVBSky S960 : no problems in LiveTV.
PCTV 461e: lot of artifacts in LiveTV with and without HW-accelleration. card itself is working fine when watching in VLC

so maybe it depends on the dvb tuner for some reason.

unfortunately i don't have the pctv stick at my place now, so i can't test whether it's working in builds before 17780 or not.

Looking here - http://blog.palosaari.fi - it mentions a kernel fix for the PCTV 461e driver, which I think fixes a fault introduced in a previous kernel? That could explain your issues?

(2014-04-05, 07:49)trsqr Wrote:

Don't know anything about your specific problem, but my Live TV blocking issues with the PCTV 290e disappeared when I updated to OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 3. I still have not tried the Beta 4 though.

Yep - there was an issue with the PCTV 290e drivers in the kernel for a bit ISTR. I had issues using my 290e with TV Headend for a while.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - focke_oeuf - 2014-04-05

(2014-04-05, 13:10)FernetMenta Wrote:

There is no specification that defines how to bistream flac via HDMI. You won't have any benefit in sending the raw stream to your AVR.

So you mean that using HDMI to send high bitrate raw audio is useless, but would it be better by another interface?
The NUC has also a display port and analog audio out, so would it be better to send the audio only streams through those interfaces (although I doubt analog audio would have a sufficient quality...)?

Even if the idea is good, is there a way to define an audio out interface for video playback different from the audio playback?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - noggin - 2014-04-05

(2014-04-04, 17:56)focke_oeuf Wrote: Also I have another question about audio playback.
I have my NUC plugged onto an AVR receiver, which decodes all HD audio codecs for videos.
It won't decode "all HD audio codecs" - it will just decode the mainstream consumer HD audio codecs (DTS HD Master Audio and High Resolution and Dolby True HD) along with the legacy DVD-quality audio codecs (Dolby Digital and DTS) (There are also a few other variants that are less widespread like Dolby Digital Plus and some of the Dolby/DTS enhancements like DTS ES which are also likely to be decoded) (A few amps may also support some flavours of Windows Media Audio I believe?)

However there are other codecs using the computer (and broadcasting) world that are not usually (if at all) decoded by consumer amps - such as AAC, FLAC, OggVorbis etc.

Quote:When it does this, I can see that it decodes an HD audio stream by a little logo appearing.
Yes - because your amp can decode bitstreamed Dolby True HD an DTS HD MA/HR it signals that fact.

Quote:When I play FLAC audio files, the AVR does not seem to change anything, and thus I'm wondering how the NUC is sending the audio stream to the receiver (which seems not to see any HD audio stream but a "normal" one).

FLAC (and AAC) will be decoded to PCM (in some cases PCM multichannel - which can be carried via HDMI and is supported by the Intel GPU audio device) and fed over HDMI in PCM. As XBMC will default to PCM output when not playing a bitstream track, then your Amp won't know that it is being fed anything different unless the FLAC is multichannel and/or a different bit depth or sampling rate and so won't display any changes.

However - your amp itself is doing the same process when fed DTS HD or Dolby True HD - it will be decoding to PCM (multichannel in many cases) within the amp - all that XBMC is doing with FLAC is doing the PCM decode itself as the amp can't.

Quote:I chose the i3 instead of the Bay Trail in part because of the HD audio chip, but now I'm wondering if it is usefull only for video playback...

AIUI the Haswell and Bay Trail NUCs have the same functionality in HDMI audio terms - but there are Windows driver issues at the moment with the Bay Trail and HDMI bit streaming of HD audio (though OpenElec and Linux distros are fine)

Not sure what the HD audio chip you refer to is - could it be the analogue audio functionality (or SPDIF coax/Toslink optical output)? The HDMI audio is handled by the CPU+GPU integrated chip AIUI.

(Most modern PCs have two audio devices. The HDMI Audio for bit streaming "HD Audio" and the "HD Audio" chipset for handling analogue and optical/coax SPDIF audio output - and they are two unrelated and independent sections of the PC.)

Quote:Is it normal or am I missing something?

It's normal. Your Amp can't play FLAC natively, so XBMC will losslessly decode (no quality loss) to PCM rather than your amp doing it.

(** PCM is the standard, uncompressed audio format carried over HDMI. You can think of it a bit like WAV. There is no compression at all. FLAC, DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD are all losslessly compressed formats, where the original PCM audio is carried with lossless compression. Think of it like a WAV file that has been put into a ZIP archive. Consumer AVR Amps can decode DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD to PCM internally - so you can send these signals bitstreamed over HDMI. Consumer AVR amps can't decode FLAC so XBMC has to do the PCM decode. All that is happening is that the decoding is taking place in a different point in the chain)