Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Richie - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-15, 22:12)bustamelon Wrote: Curious. I can't get OpenElec to suspend at all without crashing. Which BIOS version are you on?

I'm on Bios 23 and Gotham just restarts. It used to crash on 22, but either 23 or the something in Gotham fixed that.

Going to try this tonight, it's really the only thing left that bugs me.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nooryani84 - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-15, 21:08)macmus Wrote: what about

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can i use build in irda with it ?

what about:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Media-Remote/dp/B005FMLZQQ/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_img_y

this can be used in build in netflix app in windows 8?

Or it's better I will have EventGhosts for that?

The Xbox remote you linked is the same one I have for my haswell nuc. I use it with Flirc, tho it works with the built-in IR receiver in the NUC. My gripe with using the builtin one was getting all the buttons mapped... I had a Flirc from before so thats the story. The other one is an MCE, so should be fine. I don't use Netflix, so I couldn't tell you. Last I heard, Netflix app on win 8 doesnt work well without a mouse. You'll have to google that.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - joenitro - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-15, 21:08)macmus Wrote: what about

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can i use build in irda with it ?

I have this remote (well the same item, but bought in the U.K. from Maplin store).
It does NOT work with the built in IR of the NUC. I'm using it with the supplied USB IR receiver though and it's great. Instant controls of XBMC running over Windows 8 and when XBMC hangs/crashes, I can press the green Start button to get back to windows and then use the "cursor" function to restart XBMC.
The only thing I can't get it to do, is power on the NUC :-(

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - andreig1978 - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-15, 22:12)bustamelon Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 20:16)andreig1978 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I finally got my NUC (34010) running the latest openelec (BETA 5) to suspend without waking up immediately.

In my case

echo GLAN > /proc/acpi/wakeup

seems to do the trick (it disables the GLAN ACPI device from triggering wake up).

As this setting does not survive a system start-up I added the above command to the autostart.sh script.

Sorry if this is old news but I don't have the patience to go through this entire thread to check Smile

Best,
Andrei

Curious. I can't get OpenElec to suspend at all without crashing. Which BIOS version are you on?

I am on BIOS v24. what OpenElec version are you using?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-04-16

Can anyone verify if there is an option in the latest Openelec beta to do hardware decode on formats OTHER than VC1 (do software decode of VC1 only)?

Thanks.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - macmus - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 15:08)joenitro Wrote: It does NOT work with the built in IR of the NUC. I'm using it with the supplied USB IR receiver though and it's great. Instant controls of XBMC running over Windows 8 and when XBMC hangs/crashes, I can press the green Start button to get back to windows and then use the "cursor" function to restart XBMC.

Why it does not work ?

I want also be albe to move in Netflix app, I heard that was achived with Harmony remotes somehow... but maybe there is other solution?

I want to use "build in" IRD.

Any suggestions?

(2014-04-16, 02:57)nooryani84 Wrote: The Xbox remote you linked is the same one I have for my haswell nuc. I use it with Flirc, tho it works with the built-in IR receiver in the NUC. My gripe with using the builtin one was getting all the buttons mapped... I had a Flirc from before so thats the story. The other one is an MCE, so should be fine. I don't use Netflix, so I couldn't tell you. Last I heard, Netflix app on win 8 doesnt work well without a mouse. You'll have to google that.

What benefits you have when using it with Flirc ?

If I do not have flirc, and go with this remote how i can map the buttons ?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - joenitro - 2014-04-18

(2014-04-16, 19:39)macmus Wrote: [quote='joenitro' pid='1683611' dateline='1397653687']
It does NOT work with the built in IR of the NUC. I'm using it with the supplied USB IR receiver though and it's great. Instant controls of XBMC running over Windows 8 and when XBMC hangs/crashes, I can press the green Start button to get back to windows and then use the "cursor" function to restart XBMC.

Why it does not work ?

I want also be albe to move in Netflix app, I heard that was achived with Harmony remotes somehow... but maybe there is other solution?

I want to use "build in" IRD.

Any suggestions?

[

I think they have to be RC6 compatible to work with the NUC.
In my naïveté, I just assumed that any MCE remote would work with the built in IR receiver.
Got home, tried all things I could think of to get it working, all to no avail. Plugged in the USB dongle and presto, worked instantly!
FYI, I do have an old harmony remote that I don't use, which I set up just to test my NUC's built in IR. It does work fine :-)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - tutu - 2014-04-18

I can confirm that my IR receiver works again on my NUC to boot from off state. I had to download Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial, make a bootable USB and install Windows + Intel CIR driver and reboot.

Now that is done, I can wipe and install Ubuntu 14.04 minimal with XBMC Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - axbmcuser - 2014-04-18

@tutu
Good to hear! Smile Thanks for reporting back.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - davenuc - 2014-04-18

Hi, I'm very new to xbmc and openelec but very impressed so far.
However I've an audio sync issue with the build I have installed. OpenELEC Beta - Generic x86_64 Version:3.95.5 which seems much worse with 24p files.
Following install I changed a few params in the GUI to enable pass through and adjust refresh rate to match video.
I thought it was just the legacy of the 175ms delay in advancedsettings.xml but when I created an entry in advancedsettings.xml in userdata to set this to 0 the delay got worse and in the end setting it to something like NEGATIVE 375 got the delay close.
But it feels like something is wrong when others say there are no problems on the i3 nuc.
Can anybody help please, I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the openelec forums as I don't understand enough to say whether the issue is in xbmc or oe.
Thanks.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-04-18

(2014-04-18, 17:26)davenuc Wrote: Hi, I'm very new to xbmc and openelec but very impressed so far.
However I've an audio sync issue with the build I have installed. OpenELEC Beta - Generic x86_64 Version:3.95.5 which seems much worse with 24p files.
Following install I changed a few params in the GUI to enable pass through and adjust refresh rate to match video.
I thought it was just the legacy of the 175ms delay in advancedsettings.xml but when I created an entry in advancedsettings.xml in userdata to set this to 0 the delay got worse and in the end setting it to something like NEGATIVE 375 got the delay close.
But it feels like something is wrong when others say there are no problems on the i3 nuc.
Can anybody help please, I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the openelec forums as I don't understand enough to say whether the issue is in xbmc or oe.
Thanks.

So are you reporting that lip sync is off for 24P content?

Is your TV 24P compatible?

All AVRs and TVs have some inherent processing delays with audio/video content and unfortunately HDMI does not have a time sync protocol that would keep all of this perfect between the source device, the AVR and the display.

The first thing you will want to do is turn off all advanced "features" (things that ruin the picture quality) on the TV such as motion smoothing, etc. Sometimes "game mode" works best since it by default usually kills all of this stuff straight out of the gate.

The 2nd thing you might check is that your AVR, if it has an auto-lip-sync feature, has that feature turned off. If it's already turned off you can try turning it on to see if it's any better. Many AVRs also have their own sync setting for each input so you should check and see if your AVR already has a value set for the input your XBMC PC is on to see if it's already adjusting sync.

What I am doing with a new Denon is setting delay on XBMC to 0 ms and then tweaking the delay with the AVR. I can get it pretty close but have not sat down and spent a solid 20 minutes trying to tune it perfectly. I have about 80 ms of delay set. It would be good if there was some "lip sync test material" out there but I'm not aware of any.

Haswell chipset in this model NUC supports perfect 23.976 playback so it is likely it is some combination of the above causing the problem, not the NUC itself.

Thanks voip-ninja
Just to give you some background the hdmi goes to a pioneer lx87 amp and then to a projector which supports 24p. I've been using a Dune media player concurrently with the same files and the same input on the amp with no issue. The pioneer shows the input as 24p for both the Dune and Nuc.

Well, for whatever it's worth I have observed that I have far fewer lip sync issues with components like blu-ray player, or set top box (TiVo) than with XBMC on any PC hardware.

Try connecting the NUC directly to the projector and bypass your AVR, and see if that affects the lip sync at all. If so then there might be some setting in the AVR that can be tweaked to improve the performance... such as telling the AVR to pass-through the video without doing any processing on it.

Ok, so I've removed my amp from the setup to try to get to the bottom of this.
If I plug the nuc directly into a tv which supports 24p I get the same delay as when connected to the amp and projector.
If I force xbmc to play at 50Hz by setting the ui to 50 and disabling the adjust display refresh to match video it's perfectly in sync.
So unless I'm missing something it looks like a nuc/xbmc issue. Is it likely to be independent of the os or is it worth giving xbmcbuntu a go ?

(2014-04-18, 20:54)davenuc Wrote: Ok, so I've removed my amp from the setup to try to get to the bottom of this.
If I plug the nuc directly into a tv which supports 24p I get the same delay as when connected to the amp and projector.
If I force xbmc to play at 50Hz by setting the ui to 50 and disabling the adjust display refresh to match video it's perfectly in sync.
So unless I'm missing something it looks like a nuc/xbmc issue. Is it likely to be independent of the os or is it worth giving xbmcbuntu a go ?

You could try another OS. XBMC has historically had issues with proper sync of 24P sources. This is why OpenElec has a defacto 175ms delay "baked in" to the default settings for 24P content only.