Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-11-21

So there's definitely some kind of problem with bit streaming HD audio. If I play a movie with DTS-HD/TrueHD after bootup it will play fine. If I stop the movie and play it again - no sound. The sound disappears completely, no XBMC sounds, no passthrough, no nothing. Mixer levels are fine, nothing is muted etc. Tried with 3.12/3.13-git kernel, XBMC 12.2 and 13-git (even deleting .xbmc between tests).

Could anybody comment on this, do you have the same issue? I'm using a mini display port to hdmi cable, suspecting there is some kind of issue releasing the output after bit streaming.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Mangoes - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 20:34)arokh Wrote: So there's definitely some kind of problem with bit streaming HD audio. If I play a movie with DTS-HD/TrueHD after bootup it will play fine. If I stop the movie and play it again - no sound. The sound disappears completely, no XBMC sounds, no passthrough, no nothing. Mixer levels are fine, nothing is muted etc. Tried with 3.12/3.13-git kernel, XBMC 12.2 and 13-git (even deleting .xbmc between tests).

Could anybody comment on this, do you have the same issue? I'm using a mini display port to hdmi cable, suspecting there is some kind of issue releasing the output after bit streaming.

At least for you it works the first time. For me it doesn't work at all.

TrueHD doesn't play at all (my receiver receives nothing ... sometimes TrueHD pops up for 2 seconds on the receiver display and then it's gone). And after trying once I get no sound anymore until I reboot.

Same for DTS-HR (High Res), it doesn't work. I don't have any DTS-HDMA to test as it is all converted to FLAC.

FLAC HD audio (sent as PCM) is perfectly fine however. (fortunately I have converted all my DTS-HDMA and TrueHD tracks to FLAC). I have only 2 files which I kept in TrueHD as they came out smaller than FLAC (everything else including DTS-HDMA is in FLAC as it is smaller while keeping the same lossless audio).

AC3, E-AC3 and DTS passthrough works fine.

I am using HDMI out.

So I guess it's confirmed then, there is an issue with hd audio bit streaming... That sucks, but I guess there will be a fix as soon as more people get their hands on the hardware.

Try this though, disable "play gui sounds" in audio settings, reboot and play an hd audio file direct after startup. Some times I can not play them once either, but it seems if I disable gui sounds I can consistently play one time after startup.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-21

I'm able to play TrueHD via Passthrough. I'll try the start & stop approach tonight. Any specific steps to try?

I'll also post the test file I'm using.

Some times I can play the same TrueHD movie couple of times subsequently, but as soon as I try another HD audio format movie the sound is gone. It's very easily reproducible here, if it's fine for you I guess it could be something specific to our setups. Maybe there is some kind of problem reading EDID or handshake issue? I don't know.

I moved the SSD from my previous DC53427 NUC into my new one so I know the issue is not related to my software configuration. It was working fine on my old NUC.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 21:05)arokh Wrote: So I guess it's confirmed then, there is an issue with hd audio bit streaming... That sucks, but I guess there will be a fix as soon as more people get their hands on the hardware.

Try this though, disable "play gui sounds" in audio settings, reboot and play an hd audio file direct after startup. Some times I can not play them once either, but it seems if I disable gui sounds I can consistently play one time after startup.

It depends on if the issue can be debugged quickly with logs, etc... as the developers often don't have easy access to the hardware that early adopters do.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 21:15)arokh Wrote: Some times I can play the same TrueHD movie couple of times subsequently, but as soon as I try another HD audio format movie the sound is gone. It's very easily reproducible here, if it's fine for you I guess it could be something specific to our setups. Maybe there is some kind of problem reading EDID or handshake issue? I don't know.

I moved the SSD from my previous DC53427 NUC into my new one so I know the issue is not related to my software configuration. It was working fine on my old NUC.
Well, I won't say it all works for me -- I just haven't run into any issues yet, but I haven't pushed lots of different formats through it in one sitting.

Is there an exact sequence of events that always causes an audio failure?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - twelvebore - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 21:15)arokh Wrote: Some times I can play the same TrueHD movie couple of times subsequently, but as soon as I try another HD audio format movie the sound is gone. It's very easily reproducible here, if it's fine for you I guess it could be something specific to our setups. Maybe there is some kind of problem reading EDID or handshake issue? I don't know.

I had a similar issue when I moved from XBMC on W7 to OE 3.2.3 (ie. Frodo) on my NUC. I have a Denon AVR-2313, which might be something in common if your sig is up-to-date (ie. Denon specific).

I solved it with a Dr HDMI to freeze the EDID the NUC is seeing.

Oh, just to add, I have an i3 Sandybridge NUC, not a Haswell NUC. But your problems seem very close to what I was experiencing - EDID and handshaking,

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 18:37)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-21, 16:42)gamble Wrote: @lmyllari

Just tried ur tweaked Version but it doesn't work for me, if i enable va-api i get a way too dark picture
as usual with Full RGB Enabled and nothing else.. :/

(2013-11-21, 17:00)Crssi Wrote: True. Just tried with RGB Full. There is no change. Sad
But the change is visible on RGB Limited. I dont know, but think that the aim should be RGB FullHuh I am wrong here?

Black levels shouldn't have changed with this as they seemed correct before. Maybe your screens are set to display blacker-than-black (levels under 16)? [another edit: actually if the picture is too dark, it sounds like your screen expects limited range]

To troubleshoot your problems:

1) Figure out which RGB range your TV expects. Use a bluray player or any other media source that you can use to play calibration patterns and set to RGB output. I suggest using AVSHD709 for patterns. Check with the basic tests that you have working settings either in full range or limited range. Make sure your source is set for neutral brightness/contrast. Take note of the lowest and highest visible values.

2) Use xrandr to select full or limited range, same as you used above.

3) Check black levels on xbmc using the same patterns. They should match.

If your black levels don't match between steps 1 and 3, please report your reference device and the highest/lowest visible with each device.

At the moment, it is not possible to get blacker-than-black (under 16) or whiter-than-white (over 235) with VA-API decoding. They are clipped by the colorspace conversion. If you need those, you will have to use software decoding for now.

edit: Crssi: it doesn't matter if you aim for full or limited range at the moment. Use whichever your display defaults to. If you can set it to either, use full.

MY TV is set to BT709 Colorspace so that should be fine i guess...i think if ur tweaks would be on the actual Nightly and i could turn on the limited Range in Video settings it should work..but that just a guess..ur version was based on the Stable 3.2.3 right?

@ HD-Audio

I have abs. zero issues with any kind of format now since MT is working right, DTS-HiRes, HD-MA, TrueHD everything works great and permanent Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 21:46)gamble Wrote: MY TV is set to BT709 Colorspace so that should be fine i guess...
That's for YCbCr signals, NUC only outputs RGB.

Quote:i think if ur tweaks would be on the actual Nightly and i could turn on the limited Range in Video settings it should work..but that just a guess..ur version was based on the Stable 3.2.3 right?
Yes, my build is based on 3.2 (I think it has some changes after 3.2.3, I just took the latest from 3.2 branch).

The video range setting in Gotham won't affect VA-API playback, I think. You should use xrandr if you want limited range - just remove the full range setting from your autostart.sh.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-21

Hm but why do i then set xandr output to full and enable 16-235 in my video settings now to get optimum results...i don't get it but it works Big Grin
And i don't think i have an "RGB" Colorspace, have to look into that again...but would be nevertheless annoying to switch every time i change devices...guess ill stay
where i am now for awhile and wait for the next Nightly...maybe Video updating will work again Smile
That whole Colorspace Story starts to get rly confusing :p

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-21

(2013-11-21, 22:25)gamble Wrote: Hm but why do i then set xandr output to full and enable 16-235 in my video settings now to get optimum results...i don't get it but it works Big Grin
Well, that's an even better way of getting limited range output. If it works for you, stick with it. I had some issues with it, but that's how I'd like mine set up too once I figure out the signaling issue (my monitor defaults to full range).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Metagoudabuntu - 2013-11-22

Some questions about this particular IR sensor...

1. Is it controlled by a "windows media" remote as I have seen suggested?
2. Can it be used to power the device on and off (and from a full shutdown)?
3. I have a learning remote control, that I can teach commands from other remotes - could I teach windows remote control commands to my sony remote commander?

Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - aesalazar - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 00:22)Metagoudabuntu Wrote: Some questions about this particular IR sensor...

3. I have a learning remote control, that I can teach commands from other remotes - could I teach windows remote control commands to my sony remote commander?

Thanks

Yes. Yes. Yes.

My NUC is on its way back for a replacement but I was using a cheap MCE remote I have to testing and it works right out of the box including power on/off. I normally run URC remotes which are all learning and teach them the IRs from the MCE remote. All work as expected..

Ernie

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 00:22)Metagoudabuntu Wrote: Some questions about this particular IR sensor...

Thanks

At least in Linux you can use load all IR protocols and use any remote you like. I can turn it on with my HTC One Smile