Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - deaerator - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 17:34)Selene Wrote: Already has been posted... but windows + nuc = just works, and is awesome. Smile

I found out that the power button on my nuc still works fyi, it just only powers the thing off if it's not already on. It's not a hardware issue, it's a bios issue, most likely.

What version of windows are you using.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 17:34)Selene Wrote: I found out that the power button on my nuc still works fyi, it just only powers the thing off if it's not already on. It's not a hardware issue, it's a bios issue, most likely.

Something you have changed or something thats randomly happened? Mine still works for both on and off so bit weird :S

Hate to think that any day now my power button will just stop working Rofl

(2013-11-22, 17:40)deaerator Wrote: What version of windows are you using.

Both using Windows 7, but 8 works just as well, its probably now just a personal preference thing for what you want to go for - that and cost I guess Tongue

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 13:59)Ravetrancer Wrote: When i mount my movie catalog w NFS now i cant get the scraper to download info, anyone come up with a solution for this?

I also edited the autostart.sh in r16398 and the blacks were ok.
The scraper did download all info here for my movies. Whats the difference between r16398 and r16406?

I have the same problem with the scraper BUT i am on R16398 ??
Where can i download R16406...?

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com

is down, is there another source?

regards

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 12:08)uNiversal Wrote: I wonder what IR receiver chip it has (anyone know which?) and how hard it will be to setup with regular MCE over Linux +Lirc
Nuvoton. The only difficulty with it is that the BIOS claims it's not there. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1549255#pid1549255 for a workaround (for OpenELEC, but the idea is the same for other distros). Other than that it just works with OE, so it's probably pretty easy to get working elsewhere too.

Quote:Traditionally I am a Nvidia fan (Since MY XBMC's all on Linux, ION1 user and lovely it still is (buttery smooth playback), so it will have a great deal to prove this NUC. We shall see.
I am coming from an older nvidia system and I'm very impressed. There's no need to mess with custom modes, the gfx drivers pick up the CEA modes from EDID and set them up (including also 1000/1001 variants). Also, no binary drivers! (Never again if I can avoid them..)

VA-API has some issues compared to VDPAU, but it will probably get there soon (colorspace issues; advanced deinterlacing not yet stable). Hardware should be capable. There will be some nice things you can't do on nvidia, for example messing with infoframes (output full range, tell monitor it's limited range -> BtB, WtW, no banding and no need to do special monitor settings). Open drivers may enable some more interesting stuff in the future like higher bit depth processing/output, direct YCbCr output with no conversions etc..

Then there's power management.. On Intel I mean, I don't think Nvidia has heard of it yet Rofl

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 18:19)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-22, 17:34)Selene Wrote: I found out that the power button on my nuc still works fyi, it just only powers the thing off if it's not already on. It's not a hardware issue, it's a bios issue, most likely.

Something you have changed or something thats randomly happened? Mine still works for both on and off so bit weird :S

Hate to think that any day now my power button will just stop working Rofl

(2013-11-22, 17:40)deaerator Wrote: What version of windows are you using.

Both using Windows 7, but 8 works just as well, its probably now just a personal preference thing for what you want to go for - that and cost I guess Tongue

Did you do the regedit trick to make your sleep turn the computer off? and the skin changes to remove the welcome screen microsoft logos and the boot animations!

I can't even tell my NUC is windows!

It just won't power on using the button from a cold start. I don't know if I changed anything.

(2013-11-22, 16:45)Alchete Wrote: HASWELL NUC POWER CONSUMPTION

In case anyone is curious about the power draw of the new Haswell NUCs, I hooked mine up to a Kill-a-watt and measured.

i3 Haswell NUC (D34010WYK)
---------------------------------------------
IDLE (at XBMC main menu): 10-11W
PLAYING (software decoding): 13W
SUSPEND (XBMC power save setting): 6W

Pretty outstanding.

So, it draws 6W if left in a "suspend" state that turns off the display but can still be woken up by a press of the remote.
Thank you for measuring! Those numbers look very nice.

The suspend is basically an idle system? Network services are still running?

(2013-11-22, 19:03)lmyllari Wrote: The suspend is basically an idle system? Network services are still running?

Yes, network services still work on suspend.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 16:45)Alchete Wrote: I just tried playing everything in my test folder: mix of Dolby and DTS, Master-HD, HD-MA, etc. I pressed stop on each one and played them all back to back.

Everything played flawlessly.

I'm using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable connected to my receiver. Audio is set to passthrough. My equipment is in my signature

Thanks for the report, guess I'll try a different cable. This receiver also has issues with mini display from my MBA, so that might be it. What kind of receiver are you using? Anyway, good to hear that it's not a general problem.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-22, 19:03)lmyllari Wrote: Thank you for measuring! Those numbers look very nice.

The suspend is basically an idle system? Network services are still running?
Yes, I'm assuming network services are still running, as I'm using the XBMC Remote app for Android, and pressing any button causes a WiFi transmission that turns on the television display. (I still need to switch the HDMI inputs first)

6W idle is outstanding, IMO. I have old incandescent night lights that are 4W. And the i3 NUC is basically silent, I never hear any fan noise.

Very happy.

------------

arokh -- my equipment is in my signature.

I am using a Denon 3313 Receiver and haven't had a single Sound Issue, sry to ask again but wheres the best place to get the newest Nightlies? Smile

The latest nightlies can be found here: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/

(2013-11-22, 19:28)Alchete Wrote: Yes, I'm assuming network services are still running, as I'm using the XBMC Remote app for Android, and pressing any button causes a WiFi transmission that turns on the television display. (I still need to switch the HDMI inputs first)

6W idle is outstanding, IMO. I have old incandescent night lights that are 4W. And the i3 NUC is basically silent, I never hear any fan noise.

Very happy.
Excellent, I have to set this up ASAP so I can just leave it running all the time.

I've made some progress with the black levels. It looks like "Limited 16:235" is broken - which is very unfortunate as it is the default when a TV is connected. Good news is that I can use "Full" output and set the infoframe to switch my monitor to limited range input. With this and XBMC set to 16-235 I should get perfect output.

My plan is to modify the i915 driver to add "Video passthrough" value to the Broadcast RGB property (no scaling of output range, but signal limited range). This could either be set from Autostart.sh, or xbmc could be patched to set it when 16-235 is enabled.

Just as I was typing this, more information from Ville S at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71769#c9 - looks like the grey blacks will be solved soon. Smile

(2013-11-22, 19:38)lmyllari Wrote: Excellent, I have to set this up ASAP so I can just leave it running all the time.

I've made some progress with the black levels. It looks like "Limited 16:235" is broken - which is very unfortunate as it is the default when a TV is connected. Good news is that I can use "Full" output and set the infoframe to switch my monitor to limited range input. With this and XBMC set to 16-235 I should get perfect output.

My plan is to modify the i915 driver to add "Video passthrough" value to the Broadcast RGB property (no scaling of output range, but signal limited range). This could either be set from Autostart.sh, or xbmc could be patched to set it when 16-235 is enabled.

Just as I was typing this, more information from Ville S at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71769#c9 - looks like the grey blacks will be solved soon. Smile
Fantastic! Thank you again. Keep us up to date on both counts. I've been checking the bug reports for updates myself. Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2013-11-22

(2013-11-21, 15:59)Crssi Wrote:
(2013-11-21, 07:45)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 19:56)Alchete Wrote: I assume you're trying to build the driver/shader assembly directly in OpenELEC? Can you give a link to the source code and the steps you've taken to build it?
https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC.tv/commit/1b4e60383167b62caacc48a39686d350008bf0f2

There's the workaround if you're feeling adventurous. It switches to BT.709 coefficients, so HD is now fine, but SD has slightly messed up colors.

You are TZAR and true Wizard. Wink

This is really cool. Its "almost" perfect.
Why "almost"... because it is a little too bright. But dont take this 100% sure, because I have tried this on uncalibrated monitor and will test again, perhaps this evening, on calibrated TV.

Thank you man, i am sure you will change the future of NUC used for XBMC/OE. Smile

@lmyllari:
I wanted to test at home yesterday on a calibrated TV, but forgot an USB keyboard to set boot from USB. Sad
So, I have tested it a few minutes ago. The picture is perfect and this was what I was looking for. Smile
At least for HD, SD is still bad, but you have already said that there you havent made a changes.

Thank you man, again.
Just dont dissapear now, please. Smile

Thx 4 the link, and nice to know that things are going in the right direction, even if i can't understand a single term of the Bug Report...lol Big Grin