Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - un1versal - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 14:37)Crssi Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 13:55)uNiversal Wrote: After a bit more research which I should have done before purchasing (not just reading these threads as I have no interest in OE), I have decided to return/cancel my order for the nuc BOXD54250WYK and ssd and ram

* uNiversal will stick to Nvidia for any pc/htpc needs as these have always served me very well for as long as old age itself.

You are not really reading posts well. NUC is really great device and it works under Windows very well.
As I can see if NUC is used only for XBMC, then OE will be best and you wont need i5 then, but you can go for canyon horse, since it is sufficient when HW decoding will be sorted out.

In the many years 15++ or more that using XBMC windows is not my choice OS platform (only use it for work), for XBMC its Linux and at that not any Linux either. So ya, Im reading posts very well, especially those that have video drivers problems including Windows which as I said have 0 interest in.

@platipus2

See here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177968&pid=1557056#pid1557056

not to mention as above, stating that I have no desire, inclination, interest, or any other logical reason to choose such a OS for XBMC, in 15++ years only used it to test some scenarios on my VM, other than that no, sorry, Im sure it works very well for you, me however being fussy and especially because, I also think ssd are rubbish and overrated, rather have mechanical or hybrid hdd at a push, also didn't like you're forced to use msata ssd only, so no, If Im going to part with my bucks, its going to have to be with my requirements, perhpas whne ts more mature and has better Linux support and other cases that add 2.5' bay support.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 14:17)Mangoes Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 14:07)gamble Wrote: As said i was getting Sound problems too out of nowhere, erasing my Userdata Folder completely and reflashing to 3.2.3 helped..

Yes, but I'm not going back to 3.2.3.

After waiting for years forced subtitles finally works properly with Gotham (it now finally feels like a Bluray / DVD player), as does FLAC 6.1 audio. Angel

I don't meant that u should stop at the Stable built, but u can test if everything works and then flash up to Gotham again, hopefully with the bugs gone Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2013-11-23

@uNiversal: I can see clearly now, what you mean. Wink
It was not my intentions to be rude, I am really clumsy when choosing words. Sad

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - merlinn31 - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 06:14)Alchete Wrote: I've used SMB with both Linux (OE), LInux (Ubuntu), and Ouya (Android), and the playback is almost instant. No problems here.

ho - lee - shit, thank you for your feedback. I started thinking and was like - I've never had a good XBMC experience on ATV2, Ouya, or old busted laptop. Alchete said its good across platforms and some are the same I've tried, so not an XBMC problem. Selene said it's good on the same hardware I have and the same OS that I have. This is my second NUC and I had the same issue with the last one. What's the only thing left? My library.

The playback lag was due to items in my library that XBMC couldn't pull codec info on (mostly bin files) I looked at XBMC.log and saw a bunch of items with "could not find codec parameters for" (mostly old bin rips). As soon as I removed these items from my library, removed and readded the source everything ran like butter. Everything insta-plays.

On the other hand... that is a stupid setup on XBMC's part. Why should there be an almost 30 second lag because it can't find information on movies that I'm not even trying to play?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-11-23

@Universal

Amazing that you used XBMC for 15+++ years, especially since it's only 9 years old Big Grin Big Grin

Big Update on the HD audio issues described earlier:

Solved by setting refresh rate 23.98. Every HD audio file plays perfect! GUI is very slow at 23.98 though, so hopefully someone can track this down to a bug somewhere.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - mushoss - 2013-11-23

I just purchased an i3 NUC Haswell from Newegg (through ebay) for $256.49. Newegg had it for $284.89. Ebay had sent me a 10% off coupon for purchases through their mobile app. It was good through today so I pulled the trigger. Now I need to nail down which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb. Will this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/251336690182 Also need to get a wi-fi / blue tooth any recommendations on that.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 15:24)uNiversal Wrote: @platipus2

See here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177968&pid=1557056#pid1557056

not to mention as above, stating that I have no desire, inclination, interest, or any other logical reason to choose such a OS for XBMC, in 15++ years only used it to test some scenarios on my VM, other than that no, sorry, Im sure it works very well for you, me however being fussy and especially because, I also think ssd are rubbish and overrated, rather have mechanical or hybrid hdd at a push, also didn't like you're forced to use msata ssd only, so no, If Im going to part with my bucks, its going to have to be with my requirements, perhpas whne ts more mature and has better Linux support and other cases that add 2.5' bay support.

Fair enough, I merely took your "no interest in OE" as 'no linux' so my mistake. Eitherway, for what I've been using it for its perfect. I can understand the hate on msata though and the VC-1 isn't an issue for me currently - all my videos are H.264 and the only VC-1 I have are on Blu-ray and they seem to play fine off the disc so I'm happy Tongue

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - solamnic - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 17:33)mushoss Wrote: I just purchased an i3 NUC Haswell from Newegg (through ebay) for $256.49. Newegg had it for $284.89. Ebay had sent me a 10% off coupon for purchases through their mobile app. It was good through today so I pulled the trigger. Now I need to nail down which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb. Will this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/251336690182 Also need to get a wi-fi / blue tooth any recommendations on that.

4GB 204-Pin SoDIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 512Mx64 • 2Rx8

ram is ok

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - joelbaby - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 15:24)uNiversal Wrote: In the many years 15++ or more that using XBMC windows
I also think ssd are rubbish and overrated, rather have mechanical or hybrid hdd at a push, also didn't like you're forced to use msata ssd only, so no, If Im going to part with my bucks, its going to have to be with my requirements, perhpas whne ts more mature and has better Linux support and other cases that add 2.5' bay support.

For someone with 89 reputation points it surprises me how little you have contributed.

You came on here saying you'd bought an i5 nuc, with 8Gb of RAM for CAD work, and a 750Gb 2.5" HDD. Do we really care? Your PC had very little to do with XBMC, it is way overspec'ed for that use. Then you tell us that HTPCs have not come down in price. What a crock. You just overcapitalised. It's like buying a 4WD (SUV) to drive the kids to school, and then complaining that you have to get such an expensive car to do a simple task. All most people need for XBMC is a Celeron or Pentium processor.

Quote:my requirements
Good luck with those. Lets remember them:

1. A windows PC for work with 8Gb RAM for Computer Aided Design.
2. XBMC running outside Windows (despite the fact you have Windows installed on this PC).
3. More mature Linux support (despite the fact that Linux has been on intel for many years).
4.You have no interest in Openelec (despite it being linux based).
5. No mSATA disk (despite the fact that you have a 120GB mSATA disk). What are you going to do - frame it and hang it on the wall??
6. An infra-red receiver built in (the only real advantage of Haswell NUC over previous version).

Just accept the fact that your research was ... poor? Why not just build a mini-itx PC. Or get a separate HTPC for XBMC, and a workhorse for your Windows work.

Some people use this thread to discuss XBMC.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-23

I did some patching based on the recent developments. You can see my work at https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC.tv/commits/va-intel-on-master

I took the VA-API colorspace fixes from staging. This should fix both SD and HD colorspace issues. I've only tried HD, but that seems good. I'll need to find some SD test material.

I made a small patch to kernel based on Ville's advice to fix the black levels in limited range output. I also implemented a pass-through mode for use with sw decoding and 16:235 range in xbmc.

These should fix the grey blacks and inaccurate colors. There are three ways to configure:

1) GPU scaled limited range output: This is the default setting when connected to a TV. There is no need for any settings - remove xrandr from Autostart.sh to use this.

2) Full range output: This is the default when connected to a computer monitor. This can also be forced with the xrandr setting in Autostart.sh.

Image should look identical between #1 and #2. If the screen supports switching RGB input ranges, both should be signaled automatically - otherwise #2 is used. Leave everything at default and things should work right automatically.

There is another way for better quality:

3) Direct limited range output: This allow for BtB, WtW and avoids banding. Software decoding needs to be used (VA-API output is first clipped and scaled to full range). Configure xbmc for 16-235 output and no hardware decoding. Use xrandr to set "Broadcast RGB" to "Video 16:235 pass-through" (this allows full range output, but tells the screen content is limited range)

There is a build based on recent OE master (with Gotham) at https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4cqdn8vh324cpf/OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131123070845-r16417.tar

If you still see black level problems with this build, please post numbers and details ( you can follow instructions at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1555766#pid1555766 )

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ChopD - 2013-11-23

My i3 Haswell FINALLY arrived on Friday... I've got Crucial 4gb ram and a Crucial m4 64gb mstata in it.

Running Win 8.1 with the latest Intel drivers, Frodo 12.2., Aeon Nox 4.0. I've literally only just got it setup up but the initial report is very positive, no issues whatsoever as yet. As Platypus2 said, it just works.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - joelbaby - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 17:33)mushoss Wrote: which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb.

8Gb is overkill. You could just get a 4Gb stick and save $40. As someone already pointed out, make sure it is 1.35V . Sometimes it says DDR3L (L means low voltage).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-23

@lmyllari

Can u do another Built with ur patch implemented so i jus need to flash my xvmc?

thx

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-23

(2013-11-23, 18:13)gamble Wrote: Can u do another Built with ur patch implemented so i jus need to flash my xvmc?
Another build? In addition to the one in my post above?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-11-23

gamble did you check if HD audio is working for you if you set 23.98 refresh in GUI? Works every time here, I think there's some bug triggered if you're on 60Hz and XBMC changes refresh before playing the movie.