Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - tutu - 2013-12-03

Does the i3 run cooler and thus runs the fan lower than the i5? Is there anything missing from the i3? Or are they the same? I have the i5 and would rather have as quiet as possible.

I can passively cool it but having a cooler running system helps.

The i5 has a lower base clock but more GPU. Is there a way to disable EU cores? Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Maniac - 2013-12-03

Is the i5 really that loud?
I am getting the i5, if it gets too loud I will probably get me one of those passive-cooled cases.

Like this one from Streacom
http://www.streacom.com/products/nc1-fanless-chassis/

It's not loud but I accidentally switched it on when I was sleeping and the fan drone was annoying. It was idling on xbmc dashboard. My tv fans are louder.

The dashboard doesn't idle the CPU but there was no RSS feeds so not sure if CPU was idle or not.

The i5 is overkill anyway so fast.

At the moment in openelec I am missing adjust refreshrate to match video and there is no ac3 passthrough. I am using mini dp to hdmi. I have a mini hdmi to hdmi cable on order tho.

It's unusuable at the moment. Sound is distorted.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2013-12-03

XBMC main menu can use more cpu than playing a movie. Crazy but true.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-12-03

(2013-12-03, 10:26)tutu Wrote: The i5 is overkill anyway so fast.

I'm not so sure anymore... I tried Win 7 + XBMC on my NUC and it stutters (more). But perhaps it's my lack of RAM. Today I'm getting additional 2GB and then I'll see.

I used a AMD A6 5400k before and that flies with xbmc on windows 8. 4gb at least for windows.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-12-03

(2013-12-03, 10:28)nickr Wrote: XBMC main menu can use more cpu than playing a movie. Crazy but true.

Yep, especially with some of the MQ skins CPU usage will go through the roof when sitting idle on the main menu and "Movies" are highlighted.

Anyway, you can totally control how loud the fans are going to be in the BIOS. It's not an issue. The machine is barely drawing any power during playback or real idle and is completely silent.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - omnium - 2013-12-03

(2013-12-03, 10:11)Maniac Wrote: Like this one from Streacom
http://www.streacom.com/products/nc1-fanless-chassis/
only for the 'old' NUC.

What is in the queue/announced/available atm for the Haswell NUC..
Build Your Own HTPC, NUC Wrote:Gehäuse Unibody Lasercut (fanless): NUC - HASWELL ca. £99.00
Gehäuse inkl. Vesa Mount (fanless): Akasa Newton H ca. xx€
Gehäuse inkl. Vesa Mount (fanless): Akasa Tesla ca. xx€
Gehäuse (fanless): Streacom NC1-WY/NC3 ca. xx€
Gehäuse (fanless): HDPLEX announcement ca. xx€
Gehäuse (fanless): DIY mini ca. 50€ (Bastelarbeiten notwendig)

my favorite...'Royal Blue' Big Grin

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-12-03

Set XBMC to Shutdown the Display after X minutes and the i3 Haswell will draw ~6W and be completely silent. You can just leave it on all the time.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - musicman_234 - 2013-12-03

(2013-12-03, 01:44)BLKMGK Wrote:
(2013-12-02, 07:53)musicman_234 Wrote: Newcomer here. Been reading this thread with great interest, as i have an i5 NUC. For the life of me, I can't get the CIR working. I've read, and re-read, the threads on how to fix it (the workaround). I'm not a Linux expert, but my trouble seems to be that I can't actually modify the resources file for the NTN0530. I do the 'echo "auto"...' Command, and then cat the file, and its no different. I've played with permissions (chmod) to no avail. The resources file always starts with "status = disabled". I've verified CIR is enabled in BIOS.

I'm running Linux mint 15. Fully upgraded it.
Help?

I had several issues getting Mint to work and switched to Openelec, much much easier!

To get the CIR working on Openelec follow these instructions to create the http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.shautostart. I believe this will NOT work for standard Mint. Once the file is created and you're logged in via ssh run nano to edit the file. You can copy paste in the commands to active the CIR from other posts in this thread. Save the file! You can then either reboot OR run the file by typing ./autostart.sh - it won't return anything.

This assumes of course that you're on the latest bios, 21 I think it is? It's a bios bug that forces us to do this workaround so I suspect that bios version matters. Once this is done I think you'll find Openelec pretty polished!

P.S. I've just remembered, once the autostart.sh file has been created you can also just edit it via the smb share from a Windows machine - it's in the configurations folder. IF you do this you MUST not use Notepad to edit, download and use Notepad+ as it won't put end of line crap in the file like Notepad does. This hidden eol stuff trips up Linux!

Not a BIOS issue. I just upgraded to bios 21. No change in behavior. CIR still not working at all. If OpenElec can work, there's no reason Mint can't work. Really hoping someone seeing this will have a suggestion or two for debugging this...I've no idea how to tell if the driver is actually connecting to the hardware or not.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-12-03

You need to be root.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-12-03

Please guys, am I the only one having less performance in Windows - even now with 4GB of RAM? The XBMC movie playback is stuttering when browsing through menus - that never happend to me in Openelec...

Does standby work for you in Windows? I thought that was just a Linux IR Problem?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2013-12-03

No problem here on Win 8.1

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-12-03

(2013-12-03, 16:32)musicman_234 Wrote: Not a BIOS issue. I just upgraded to bios 21. No change in behavior. CIR still not working at all. If OpenElec can work, there's no reason Mint can't work. Really hoping someone seeing this will have a suggestion or two for debugging this...I've no idea how to tell if the driver is actually connecting to the hardware or not.
Try using mode2 to check the raw output. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&pid=1546387#pid1546387 for my steps when testing on Ubuntu.

Anybody else using mini-dp to hdmi and having issues with no sync refresh rate to video option and passthrough options not appearing? I will have to wait a few days for a mini hdmi to hdmi cable.

According to the manual pass through (Dolby TrueHD etc etc) should be supported on the mini-DP - could be a kernel issue not exposing it? or a openelec issue? How to go about reporting it?

EDIT: Forget everything I said.. there is an advanced mode you have to toggle!