Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - quintixbox - 2013-12-10

Hi Husky,

It's a shame you are running into these problems. I installed Mint 16 from a USB stick with none of the issues you mentioned. I wonder what we did differently?
In the meantime I added 4 new partitions for testing and it all works.
One difference could be that I did not use UEFI but an old fashioned BIOS install....

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Q

(2013-12-10, 21:49)husky55 Wrote: OK just a heads up. I spent days and hours trying to install Mint Cinnamon 16 on my NUC. It installed fine but then the reboot is what killed it. I knew going in that UEFI in the NUC caused a problem with the Mint 16 GRUB2. I also try to install REfind. But since I cannot get into the program because Mint and UEFI misplaced the bootx64.efi which I cannot find, I was stuck. Anyway there was no files in the EFI partition where they should have been. Yes I created the swap, EFI and main partition.

People talked about sudo this sudo that, but I cannot even get the MINT to boot after install!!!

Anyway, installed win8 and it's another story. For the Haswell NUC, win8 cannot even identify the intel wifi/BT card 7260, so I had to connect with the LAN. After the upgrade to the 8.1 which takes forever, MS asked for activation again, since it lost the key during the upgrade process. Why MS ownload was so slow and there was no other way to get the upgrade 8.1. I downloaded all the Intel drivers for the NUC and finally everything seems to work. Now on the XBMC!!!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - husky55 - 2013-12-11

@quintixbox, that was your post about MINT which got me going. I followed the instructions and made a usb Mint install. I don't remember having the choice of UEFI or BIOS. I realized that in the
f2 bios there are UEFI and Legacy bios. I set both of them to boot USB first. I went to Mint and chose "some other way" instead of choosing the whole msata. I made the main, swap and EFI partition. Installed fine. But on reboot I got again and again "Initializing and connecting and finally Intel boot exits". I must have installed and reinstalled about 5 or 6 times. Could be I messed up the partitioning again. Although I doubt it because Mint would not let you go on if partitioning did not have all the partitions. After that it was a blur. I read REfind instructions but since I cannot not even boot into the Mint program it was useless. I cannot reboot with the usb stick unless I made a new one.
Apparently, there were changes made to the usb stick. I really like Mint but it doesn't like me.

I just installed window8 and that took forever but it is working now. I still have the 30 GB on my masata for Mint install so I will try again another day!!! I have to say I love my nuc so far. Still studying about what to do with XBMC and what flavor to install, i.e. openelec or window-xbmc, Frodo or the nighties.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Clack - 2013-12-11

(2013-12-10, 04:59)Clack Wrote: Those with working remotes, are you powering off and on with the same button? I'm able to power off but not on.

Code:
OpenELEC (official) Version: devel-20131204125443-r16483
OpenELEC git: 5afca2377dc55a8c80ecc14ab4b6e3a81db8eff3
OpenELEC:~ # irw
74 0 KEY_POWER devinput
74 0 KEY_POWER_UP devinput

Shuts it down. Same button doesn't turn it on.

I guess it makes sense on further thought. If it's off it hasn't run autostart so the ir is not recognized. All those using the remote are using suspend then? If so I'm guessing yours don't all hang on suspend like mine does.

Today's build shuts down better, it doesn't reboot. Suspend still hangs though.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Richie - 2013-12-11

(2013-12-11, 01:51)Clack Wrote:
(2013-12-10, 04:59)Clack Wrote: Those with working remotes, are you powering off and on with the same button? I'm able to power off but not on.

Code:
74 0 KEY_POWER devinput

I guess it makes sense on further thought. If it's off it hasn't run autostart so the ir is not recognized. All those using the remote are using suspend then? If so I'm guessing yours don't all hang on suspend like mine does.

Today's build shuts down better, it doesn't reboot. Suspend still hangs though.

So the latest nightly shuts down and the NUC stays shutdown?

Suspend works for me in the custom 3.2.X builds, but it comes right back out of sleep.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2013-12-11

@Richie

No, the there is no software fix for the shutdown/reboot issue (i think). Once the NUC is powered down the OS does not have control of the system.

@Clack

The CIR does not need to be programmed to power on. We are not suspending, the box is 100% powered down and you can turn it on with an RC6 protocol remote regardless of what your autostart says.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-12-11

Shutdown works in windows without a hassle! I recommend everyone to use win 8 as OS for XBMC, at least until Intel releases a fix via bios update...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2013-12-11

Code:
74 0 KEY_POWER devinput

Obviously your remote control doesnt send appropriate IR signal to power on.
On the other hand shutdown can be assigned to any button, because this is then controlled in OS or XBMC, but power on must be the same as BIOS is expecting to be.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Tiny Clanger - 2013-12-11

(2013-12-10, 20:31)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-12-10, 19:24)Tiny Clanger Wrote: I haven't got my NUC yet, so I might be worrying about nothing, but is there a way to have HD Audio passthrough working when your TV doesn't support 24p?

I was hoping to get the audio working first and upgrade the TV a bit later in the year, as I've just spent the money on the NUC...
HD Audio should be fine if you don't need refresh rate matching. Just set your UI to 59.94Hz and disable refresh rate matching.

Thanks — the catch is that I'm in a PAL country, so I have a mix of 50Hz and 60Hz content. Might be time for a new TV: this one takes about 6s to switch between refresh rates, which is extremely annoying…

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - pdlb71 - 2013-12-11

Thanks for suggestions.

What a finicky little PC the Haswell i3 NUC is. After hours of frustration installing Ubuntu then W7, I installed W8.1.

Must agree with micoba that this appears to be the best move.
XBMC is working well with a powered external HDD containing Movies, Concerts & TV Series .

Still no access to F2 or F7, and F10 worked only occasionally.

As I had only a 720P monitor for testing, in desperation bought a full HD monitor today.
For the first time I can access F2 Setup !

If only the NUC had a sticker on the box "It is recommended to use Widows 8.1 with a Full HD display".

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - kish1 - 2013-12-11

Hey all,
Just receive my i3 NUC today, running latest version of the nightly build via USB, first impressions amazing! Plays 30gig+ mkv files with DTS HD, still getting a few micro stutters with video and DTS True HD the audio drops out every 10 seconds or so but all looking good!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - husky55 - 2013-12-11

There is something really wrong with Ubuntu-Mint and nuc i3 Haswell UEFI. I agree, Win8.1 or openelec is the way to go for xbmc with nuc at the moment. Is there a faster way to go from win8 to win 8.1? I found the upgrade process through the MS store excruciatingly slow!!!

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - BLKMGK - 2013-12-11

(2013-12-11, 16:22)husky55 Wrote: There is something really wrong with Ubuntu-Mint and nuc i3 Haswell UEFI. I agree, Win8.1 or openelec is the way to go for xbmc with nuc at the moment. Is there a faster way to go from win8 to win 8.1? I found the upgrade process through the MS store excruciatingly slow!!!

Mint and Ubuntu both have issues with UEFI. The files simply aren't in the right directory after install for some reason. Fixing this was easy for me, I found a GRUB rescue distro that I put on a USB stick. After install I run this and it does a reinstall of GRUB which puts the files in the right place - problem solved. I'll try to lookup the name of this distro when I'm home, google is how I found it but I'm not finding it again as easily right now.

If this is too hard then I'd suggest Openelec. The UEFI boot is no issue, the video is fine, sound just works without having to update to an ALSA bleeding edge, and issues are being worked out quickly. The cost is certainly right and it boots quickly! The way the shares are setup makes updating and configuring it really easy too.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2013-12-11

Finally the Nuc i5 is available in Germany! I just ordered it! And tonight at midnight The Hobbit 2 Premiere - WOHOOOO! Great day :-)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - quintixbox - 2013-12-11

Hi,

I'm sorry to say I didn't run into any of the issues you described during the Linux Mint install and subsequent boots so I can't really offer any suggestions.
Maybe the fact that I used Rufus with "BIOS and UWFI Partition scheme" to format the installer USB stick made the difference?
I also didn't change any boot priority settings in the F2 menu, just left it defalult and chose the USB installer disk via the F10 menu.
Mint, OpenELEC with xbmc 12.2 and OpenELEC with xbmc 13 are all booting fine.
If anyone is willing to take the plunge and try out my setup I'd gladly help in any way I can.

Cheers,
Q

(2013-12-11, 16:33)BLKMGK Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 16:22)husky55 Wrote: There is something really wrong with Ubuntu-Mint and nuc i3 Haswell UEFI. I agree, Win8.1 or openelec is the way to go for xbmc with nuc at the moment. Is there a faster way to go from win8 to win 8.1? I found the upgrade process through the MS store excruciatingly slow!!!

Mint and Ubuntu both have issues with UEFI. The files simply aren't in the right directory after install for some reason. Fixing this was easy for me, I found a GRUB rescue distro that I put on a USB stick. After install I run this and it does a reinstall of GRUB which puts the files in the right place - problem solved. I'll try to lookup the name of this distro when I'm home, google is how I found it but I'm not finding it again as easily right now.

If this is too hard then I'd suggest Openelec. The UEFI boot is no issue, the video is fine, sound just works without having to update to an ALSA bleeding edge, and issues are being worked out quickly. The cost is certainly right and it boots quickly! The way the shares are setup makes updating and configuring it really easy too.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - stokd - 2013-12-11

This looks like it will be used for both XBMC and my CableCard Windows Media Center. Just ordered one and am looking forward to using this with Win 8.1. I just have to figure out if I can navigate between between WMC and XBMC with an IR remote, and have to read through 120 pages of forum to figure out everything.

Grabbed a D34010WYK for $267 at http://www.frys.com/product/7930130
Grabbed a 60GB Intel mSATA SSD for $79.99 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167152