Kodi Community Forum
Release gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on (/showthread.php?tid=177557)

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - sabrex - 2016-08-24

(2016-08-24, 21:01)dmdsoftware Wrote: I assume you created the link Google Photos in. Everything should be accessible. Which version are you using of the plugin? gdrive or gdrive-testing? Photos are omitted if viewing from Video, by default, unless you change the plugin settings to filter nothing, or view in Pictures plugin.

Ah, that was it! I had not checked the option from Google Photos to "Automatically put your Google Photos into a folder in My Drive" ... after I enabled that option in Google Photos settings, everything showed up and works perfectly Smile Thank you!

This definitely does the job in terms of easily accessing photos and videos from Google Photos using Kodi. Have you thought about developing a stand-alone Google Photos add-on? Google is deprecating PicasaWeb and that add-on doesn't work for new users, so the author is suggesting somebody develop a separate app for Google Photos. The ability to access photos, videos, and albums (local or shared) would be pretty awesome.

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - lollo87 - 2016-08-25

I join my account and I see the file list and the picture thumbnail, but when i click on it it opens a black screen and I can't see nothing.. I have tried with gdrive and gdrive testing and I experienced the same problem..

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - dmdsoftware - 2016-08-25

(2016-08-24, 23:49)sabrex Wrote:
(2016-08-24, 21:01)dmdsoftware Wrote: I assume you created the link Google Photos in. Everything should be accessible. Which version are you using of the plugin? gdrive or gdrive-testing? Photos are omitted if viewing from Video, by default, unless you change the plugin settings to filter nothing, or view in Pictures plugin.

Ah, that was it! I had not checked the option from Google Photos to "Automatically put your Google Photos into a folder in My Drive" ... after I enabled that option in Google Photos settings, everything showed up and works perfectly Smile Thank you!

This definitely does the job in terms of easily accessing photos and videos from Google Photos using Kodi. Have you thought about developing a stand-alone Google Photos add-on? Google is deprecating PicasaWeb and that add-on doesn't work for new users, so the author is suggesting somebody develop a separate app for Google Photos. The ability to access photos, videos, and albums (local or shared) would be pretty awesome.

You answered your own question Smile Google stopped really being open some time ago, and when they release new products, they don't tend to release APIs for them. They released an API for Picasa, and as you noted, it is depreciated and only some time before it disappears. Google never released an open API. There is an API behind the scenes, that the web site and phone apps use, but it is closed. Google doesn't obviously want people developing apps that utilize Google Photos. We are fortunate of the tie-in to Google Drive so that we can use the Google Drive APIs.

How do shared albums work? Do they also appear in your Google Drive, or only your own albums?

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - dmdsoftware - 2016-08-25

(2016-08-25, 00:54)lollo87 Wrote: I join my account and I see the file list and the picture thumbnail, but when i click on it it opens a black screen and I can't see nothing.. I have tried with gdrive and gdrive testing and I experienced the same problem..

It might take a few seconds before the first picture appears. To speed up pictures loading, I recommend you set a Cache folder (in plugin settings, Cache, Cache folder), so the pictures can be cached.

You can also right-click and select Start Slide Show.

(2016-08-25, 00:59)dmdsoftware Wrote:
(2016-08-25, 00:54)lollo87 Wrote: I join my account and I see the file list and the picture thumbnail, but when i click on it it opens a black screen and I can't see nothing.. I have tried with gdrive and gdrive testing and I experienced the same problem..

It might take a few seconds before the first picture appears. To speed up pictures loading, I recommend you set a Cache folder (in plugin settings, Cache, Cache folder), so the pictures can be cached.

The reason things can slow down, if you open a folder containing a lot of photos, KODI will go off and try to cache the thumbnails. You'll see stuff like ...

Caching image 'https://lh6.googleusercont.....fuw=s220' to 'd/d6b65b93.jpg':

If you click on a photo, you'll see something like this, which represents the actual photo:

Loading the next image 103: https://doc-0o-24-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/secures....

It can get a bit bogged down opening connections to cache the thumbnails to respond to fetch a single photo. By starting Slide Show, I find it start focusing on fetching the photos instead of the thumbnails

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - lollo87 - 2016-08-25

(2016-08-25, 01:13)dmdsoftware Wrote:
(2016-08-25, 00:59)dmdsoftware Wrote:

The reason things can slow down, if you open a folder containing a lot of photos, KODI will go off and try to cache the thumbnails. You'll see stuff like ...

If you click on a photo, you'll see something like this, which represents the actual photo:

Loading the next image 103: https://doc-0o-24-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/secures....

It can get a bit bogged down opening connections to cache the thumbnails to respond to fetch a single photo. By starting Slide Show, I find it start focusing on fetching the photos instead of the thumbnails

Ok the photo has appeared after more than 30 seconds.. in the folder there are less than 10 pictures, I don't understand why the opening is so slow. I experience the same problem when I try to change the picture using the arrows keys on the keyboard. Is it normal that it takes 1 minute to change between each pictures??
I have set up the cache folder for pictures in my HD using the add-on "testing". With the last stable version of the add-on I can't edit the destination folder for cache, I think it is a bug.

(2016-08-25, 10:30)lollo87 Wrote:
(2016-08-25, 00:59)dmdsoftware Wrote: It might take a few seconds before the first picture appears. To speed up pictures loading, I recommend you set a Cache folder (in plugin settings, Cache, Cache folder), so the pictures can be cached.

Ok the photo has appeared after more than 30 seconds.. in the folder there are less than 10 pictures, I don't understand why the opening is so slow. I experience the same problem when I try to change the picture using the arrows keys on the keyboard. Is it normal that it takes 1 minute to change between each pictures??
I have set up the cache folder for pictures in my HD using the add-on "testing". With the last stable version of the add-on I can't edit the destination folder for cache, I think it is a bug.

Can you tell me the average size of the photos in the directory?

Some cloud services have a nice feature of providing multiple resolution photos, which make things more speedy.

(2016-08-25, 00:59)dmdsoftware Wrote: It might take a few seconds before the first picture appears. To speed up pictures loading, I recommend you set a Cache folder (in plugin settings, Cache, Cache folder), so the pictures can be cached.

I would like to improve on this, so I'm looking at ways at tweaking this.

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - sabrex - 2016-08-25

(2016-08-25, 00:55)dmdsoftware Wrote: You answered your own question Smile Google stopped really being open some time ago, and when they release new products, they don't tend to release APIs for them. They released an API for Picasa, and as you noted, it is depreciated and only some time before it disappears. Google never released an open API. There is an API behind the scenes, that the web site and phone apps use, but it is closed. Google doesn't obviously want people developing apps that utilize Google Photos. We are fortunate of the tie-in to Google Drive so that we can use the Google Drive APIs.

How do shared albums work? Do they also appear in your Google Drive, or only your own albums?

I wasn't aware that Google hadn't opened up the API for Google Photos. That's a shame. There's an article here pleading with Google to make the API openly available.

Albums in Google Photos simply allow you to create a new Album and quickly select what content belongs to that Album. You can optionally mark the album as a shared album and send the link to anyone. The option is available to let other Google Photos users add their own content to the same shared album.

Unfortunately, neither unshared nor shared albums will appear in Google Drive, but that's how my family and friends are sharing photos and videos with each other, since there is basically no need to re-upload the content anywhere. There is unlimited storage and the content is backed up anyway, so it's just a matter of creating an album and sharing the link and content from multiple people stays in one single place.

Here's hoping Google opens up the API at some point. In the meantime, the gdrive add-on is awesome for viewing the photos and videos in Kodi! Thanks again for your amazing work.

I just stumbled on a trick to use the thumbnail to download different resolution versions. I think this will do the trick on making this "fly".

(2016-08-25, 18:24)sabrex Wrote:
(2016-08-25, 00:55)dmdsoftware Wrote: You answered your own question Smile Google stopped really being open some time ago, and when they release new products, they don't tend to release APIs for them. They released an API for Picasa, and as you noted, it is depreciated and only some time before it disappears. Google never released an open API. There is an API behind the scenes, that the web site and phone apps use, but it is closed. Google doesn't obviously want people developing apps that utilize Google Photos. We are fortunate of the tie-in to Google Drive so that we can use the Google Drive APIs.

I wasn't aware that Google hadn't opened up the API for Google Photos. That's a shame. There's an article here pleading with Google to make the API openly available.

Albums in Google Photos simply allow you to create a new Album and quickly select what content belongs to that Album. You can optionally mark the album as a shared album and send the link to anyone. The option is available to let other Google Photos users add their own content to the same shared album.

Unfortunately, neither unshared nor shared albums will appear in Google Drive, but that's how my family and friends are sharing photos and videos with each other, since there is basically no need to re-upload the content anywhere. There is unlimited storage and the content is backed up anyway, so it's just a matter of creating an album and sharing the link and content from multiple people stays in one single place.

Here's hoping Google opens up the API at some point. In the meantime, the gdrive add-on is awesome for viewing the photos and videos in Kodi! Thanks again for your amazing work.

On this page, https://developers.google.com/picasa-web/docs/2.0/developers_guide, they note how the Picasa API 2 will slowly start breaking beginning in May 2016, but they have a reference link setup for a draft version 3 which suggests they are looking at rolling it out, but right now it just describes what is breaking, so I think API 3 is just API 2 minus whatever breaks due to changes.

Behind the scenes, you can see that the web app and phone app are making calls to a Google Photos API. It is a whole grey area reverse engineering a API for documenting and implementing. They definitely don't want users uploading using it because they have a hash key setup as part of that call, and definitely deconstructing that encryption algorithm would be illegal.

I'll see what I can do. It is not exactly complicated for the kind of stuff you guys want implemented.

Google Music went up against the same kind of closedness.

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - lollo87 - 2016-08-26

The add-on take again too much time to change picture. Do something please!

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - dmdsoftware - 2016-08-26

(2016-08-26, 10:35)lollo87 Wrote: The add-on take again too much time to change picture. Do something please!

I just updated the -testing version (0.8.01) with the changes I mentioned would improve playback. Please update using the repository or link below.

A new option will appear in addon settings -> Pictures for changing the resolution.

http://dmdsoftware.net/repository.ddurdle-testing/plugin.video.gdrive-testing/plugin.video.gdrive-testing-0.8.01.zip

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - sabrex - 2016-08-26

(2016-08-26, 19:37)dmdsoftware Wrote: I just updated the -testing version (0.8.01) with the changes I mentioned would improve playback. Please update using the repository or link below.

Just tried the new gdrive-testing (0.8.01) and photo browsing is FAST! Thank you thank you thank you!

The only thing I noticed while browsing through my photos and videos in the Google Photos folder is that each time I open up a Year, the thumbnails for both photos and videos appear to be downloaded from the cloud again, even if all of the thumbnails had been obtained previously. The only time this doesn't happen is when viewing a photo and pressing back to go back to the photos list. The thumbnails are not re-loaded in that case. For videos, even viewing a video and then stopping it causes the thumbnails in the current folder to be re-loaded.

RE: [RELEASE] gdrive - Google Drive Video/Music Add-on - lollo87 - 2016-08-26

(2016-08-26, 19:37)dmdsoftware Wrote:
(2016-08-26, 10:35)lollo87 Wrote: The add-on take again too much time to change picture. Do something please!

I just updated the -testing version (0.8.01) with the changes I mentioned would improve playback. Please update using the repository or link below.

A new option will appear in addon settings -> Pictures for changing the resolution.

http://dmdsoftware.net/repository.ddurdle-testing/plugin.video.gdrive-testing/plugin.video.gdrive-testing-0.8.01.zip

Wow it works!!! Great job hombre! Wink Thank you