Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - redi - 2015-07-31

(2015-07-29, 09:05)marioluigi123 Wrote:
(2015-07-29, 04:42)redi Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 15:21)Josh.5 Wrote: EmbER v2.0.2 available for download at http://ember-dev.com/downloads/

FYI, I Just installed 2.0.2 overtop of 1.0.1. it installed fine but i'm getting a script error on system settings, so i have no network connectivity and i can't run the ember settings at all. i booted to recovery, cleared all data and cache but that didn't help.

I have the same issue! I was hoping to ssh to grab the log but, well, no network as you said.

I'm willing to hold tight on 2.0.2 if someone can provide some insight on a fix.

I haven't done it yet, but couldn't you use file manager to copy the log out to an SD or USB?

the good thing is that going back to 1.0.1 worked just fine. I tried revert to android but got errors on that install.

so I'm back at 1.0.1 for now, but I think one of us should get cory/josh a log so they can figure out the script error. I'd love to get to 2.0.2 get my DE working and hopefully start getting the built in updates down the road.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - marioluigi123 - 2015-08-02

The file manager doesn't show hidden files (log is in ~/.kodi/temp/) but I guess I should have used Google first: http://kodinow.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-hidden-files-on-kodi/

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-08-02

(2015-08-02, 07:20)marioluigi123 Wrote: The file manager doesn't show hidden files (log is in ~/.kodi/temp/) but I guess I should have used Google first: http://kodinow.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-hidden-files-on-kodi/

You can allow hidden files and folders to be seen in the settings

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ibuntu - 2015-08-05

Forgive me if this has already been answered but I spent a couple hours reading through posts in this 100+ page thread and all day scouring the internet trying to find answers.

I have been trying to install Geniatech Linux on my ATV520E using the method suggested by the OP (copying files to fat32 formatted sdcard).

I can only get into the recovery screen and can never get android to update, either automatically or through trying to select the file via update from EXT. I can never get anything to show up on the sdcard, even folders I make on the sd card as a test do not show up. I have also tried changing the .zip to a .img

I have tried formatting and copying the files to the sd card from both windows 7 and ubuntu 15.04 but get the same results. No matter how long I hold the update button (except that it boots normally into android if I don't hold it long enough) it only goes to the android recovery menu and I can't ever see anything on the sd card when I select update from EXT. it just shows /sdcard and the only option is back /..

Please I would really appreciate some help. I have been working at this all day.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-08-05

(2015-08-05, 05:15)ibuntu Wrote: Forgive me if this has already been answered but I spent a couple hours reading through posts in this 100+ page thread and all day scouring the internet trying to find answers.

I have been trying to install Geniatech Linux on my ATV520E using the method suggested by the OP (copying files to fat32 formatted sdcard).

I can only get into the recovery screen and can never get android to update, either automatically or through trying to select the file via update from EXT. I can never get anything to show up on the sdcard, even folders I make on the sd card as a test do not show up. I have also tried changing the .zip to a .img

I have tried formatting and copying the files to the sd card from both windows 7 and ubuntu 15.04 but get the same results. No matter how long I hold the update button (except that it boots normally into android if I don't hold it long enough) it only goes to the android recovery menu and I can't ever see anything on the sd card when I select update from EXT. it just shows /sdcard and the only option is back /..

Please I would really appreciate some help. I have been working at this all day.

Try a different SDCard, sometimes some can't be read properly

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ibuntu - 2015-08-05

(2015-08-05, 11:21)AuXBoX Wrote: Try a different SDCard, sometimes some can't be read properly

Wow... I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating this was for me. I didn't have any SD cards so I went out to Canada Computers and bought a brand new one just to try this install (this was yesterday). And I'm trying to do all this with a brand new micro SD card from aData, 32gb formatting as fat32 in both windows and linux as I mentioned and I'm pulling out my hair not getting this to work.

So seeing your post this morning I drove back over to Canada Computers and replaced the 32gb aData for a 16gb kingston tech and an 8gb aData just so I would have two different oems to try and LO & BEHOLD it works on my first try with the Kingston Tech. Thank you SO much AuxBox and thanks for the quick reply.

So now I have a new problem which I didn't see anyone else having but will continue looking through this thread to see if I can find a solution until someone hopefully replies to this post.

PROBLEM: held reset and plugged in power, continued holding for 15 seconds (for the first time the android does not pop up on screen right away, as when booting recovery mode), screen stays black for a couple mins, then android appears with loading bar and does update. Now the ATV520E is just hanging on a black screen with Powered by XBMC in the bottom right. I am afraid to do anything to the box. I wasn't watching the screen the whole time but I am pretty sure it did not restart. What should I do? Thanks.

EDIT: A quick search of this thread for 'powered' revealed a bunch of other people having the same issue so I will try restarting and confirm that everything is working great. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT 2: Restarted and went to red xmbc logo as expected and everything has loaded fine. I have successfully got Geniatech Linux running on my ATV520E, thank you for the help. I am also going to give this a try on my ATV380 and let you guys know how it goes.

LAST QUESTION: As I read through the first 30 or so pages there was a lot of debate about the best version of linux to use with the ATV boxes and it kind of seemed to depend on what mattered more to you (time zone functionality, power button functionality, 720p vs 1080p, wireless etc.) and I didn't see anyone really asking in the most recent 10-20 pages about which one is best as of today and a lot of issues seemed to be getting worked on or fixed around this time last year. I was just wondering what the status was on the most recommended or most stable linux to run on the ATV boxes? Do any of these have true 1080p working yet or are they 720p scaled to 1080p? Is wifi working on all of them? Thanks again for the help guys.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - xbmcdoc - 2015-08-05

(2015-08-05, 18:30)ibuntu Wrote: EDIT 2: Restarted and went to red xmbc logo as expected and everything has loaded fine. I have successfully got Geniatech Linux running on my ATV520E, thank you for the help. I am also going to give this a try on my ATV380 and let you guys know how it goes.

LAST QUESTION: As I read through the first 30 or so pages there was a lot of debate about the best version of linux to use with the ATV boxes and it kind of seemed to depend on what mattered more to you (time zone functionality, power button functionality, 720p vs 1080p, wireless etc.) and I didn't see anyone really asking in the most recent 10-20 pages about which one is best as of today and a lot of issues seemed to be getting worked on or fixed around this time last year. I was just wondering what the status was on the most recommended or most stable linux to run on the ATV boxes? Do any of these have true 1080p working yet or are they 720p scaled to 1080p? Is wifi working on all of them? Thanks again for the help guys.

1. ATV380 is a S802 chip so this firmware will not work on that box. You will need to find a firmware that works with the ATV1800e.

2. The current build of MX linux with Kodi 14+ mentioned on page one are 1080p kernels. No more 720p upscale thanks to AuXBoX. The first 30 pages are old info. MX linux is the way to go on dual cores. The android 4.2.2 system is over 2 years old and does not handle the newer Kodi builds.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ibuntu - 2015-08-06

(2015-08-05, 21:42)xbmcdoc Wrote: 1. ATV380 is a S802 chip so this firmware will not work on that box. You will need to find a firmware that works with the ATV1800e.

Does anyone know of any? This was the only thread I could find with any information on loading linux onto any ATV device

(2015-08-05, 21:42)xbmcdoc Wrote: 2. The current build of MX linux with Kodi 14+ mentioned on page one are 1080p kernels. No more 720p upscale thanks to AuXBoX. The first 30 pages are old info. MX linux is the way to go on dual cores. The android 4.2.2 system is over 2 years old and does not handle the newer Kodi builds.

So I followed the instructions in OP for version 4 installation and upgrade. Went through everything successful but it is showing version 12.x (something I think 12.1 or 12.3, can't remember exactly) of kodi, not 14+

Did I do something wrong?

I used MX_BOX-Linux_XBMC20131205.zip to flash linux and MX_LINUX-STVMX-update20140102.img to upgrade.

Thanks again for the help

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Grand Total - 2015-08-07

(2015-08-06, 00:18)ibuntu Wrote: Did I do something wrong?
No, you didn't do anything wrong. However, if you want Kodi 14.1 or 14.2 then follow version 2 instructions to install AuXBoX's own build. A lot of people on this thread, including me, like this build a lot.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - redi - 2015-08-07

(2015-08-02, 07:20)marioluigi123 Wrote: The file manager doesn't show hidden files (log is in ~/.kodi/temp/) but I guess I should have used Google first: http://kodinow.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-hidden-files-on-kodi/

hey did you happen to get the logs off of ember 2.0.2 with the script error?

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - marioluigi123 - 2015-08-08

Sorry no I didn't because I went back to v1.x once I realized that 2.0.2 is still going to be Helix and not Isengard. The skin I use (Arctic: Zephyr) is already a few iterations into Isengard-only modifications so I'd rather catch up. I think AuXBoX was going to make an Isengard upload...?

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2015-08-10

Hi all

I have an issue I have not seen before, my ATV1200 is running Ember and after many happy months with it it developed an intermittent display issue (occasionally it would flash up a green screen for a millisecond during playback).

I decided to revert to android and reload Ember. However when doing the usual sd card / holding down reset it just goes straight into Ember start screen as normal. I have tried several sd cards and 2 loads of files to revert (the one on the ember section and the normal revert to android files).

I even tried to upgrade to V.101 with exactly the same results..... any ideas anyone? the box is still functioning and apart from the display issue everything else seems normal.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-08-11

(2015-08-10, 13:54)p_turner_uk Wrote: Hi all

I have an issue I have not seen before, my ATV1200 is running Ember and after many happy months with it it developed an intermittent display issue (occasionally it would flash up a green screen for a millisecond during playback).

I decided to revert to android and reload Ember. However when doing the usual sd card / holding down reset it just goes straight into Ember start screen as normal. I have tried several sd cards and 2 loads of files to revert (the one on the ember section and the normal revert to android files).

I even tried to upgrade to V.101 with exactly the same results..... any ideas anyone? the box is still functioning and apart from the display issue everything else seems normal.

There is a bug in the display system and has been for some time but it is only apparent with 1080i mode. Change to 1080p and the problem should disappear with any luck, With 1080i my the bug manifests itself on my display as a vertical sync flicker about every 8 to 10 seconds. So from what you say this known bug could well be the same cause of your problem but a slightly different manifestation with your different hardware. Of course it may not be the same cause of your problem at all, but so easy to try this potential work around fix that it must be worth the small effort.

As to the revert problem well many of us have had that from time to time but you will need somebody form the Ember development team to answer that one for you as way above my limited capabilities. I have found strangely that reverting form the earlier EmbER V1.0.1 to Android using their own revert files, then okay I get back to Android but still no way that I can then install MX Linux Helix 14.2 to that box as you can normally with a virgin Android box, odd so something radical has changed which the revert does not restore. Sure I can install EmbER V1.0.0 or 1.0.1 again but NOT MX Linux versions Huh?? THsi is on ATV1200 and ATV1220 boxes by the way so all G02Ref based boards.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2015-08-11

(2015-08-11, 08:06)raymw Wrote:
(2015-08-10, 13:54)p_turner_uk Wrote: Hi all

There is a bug in the display system and has been for some time but it is only apparent with 1080i mode. Change to 1080p and the problem should disappear with any luck, With 1080i my the bug manifests itself on my display as a vertical sync flicker about every 8 to 10 seconds. So from what you say this known bug could well be the same cause of your problem but a slightly different manifestation with your different hardware. Of course it may not be the same cause of your problem at all, but so easy to try this potential work around fix that it must be worth the small effort.

As to the revert problem well many of us have had that from time to time but you will need somebody form the Ember development team to answer that one for you as way above my limited capabilities. I have found strangely that reverting form the earlier EmbER V1.0.1 to Android using their own revert files, then okay I get back to Android but still no way that I can then install MX Linux Helix 14.2 to that box as you can normally with a virgin Android box, odd so something radical has changed which the revert does not restore. Sure I can install EmbER V1.0.0 or 1.0.1 again but NOT MX Linux versions Huh?? THsi is on ATV1200 and ATV1220 boxes by the way so all G02Ref based boards.

Thanks for the info. That box was definitely already on 1080p. I have several of these boxes and swapped it for one of my others that works fine (for now). I will definitely look into Embers own revert files if I can find then and give that a go. Many thanks! Smile

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2015-08-11

I have now tried the revert to android on the Ember site and still the same..... guess I'm stuck with what I have. I hope this doesn't happen on my other boxes otherwise I have 3 atv1200s all with Ember 1.00.

Thanks anyway all Smile