Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Josh.5 - 2015-10-09

(2015-10-09, 05:13)kashmoney Wrote: @PiBo7 if u have G18ref box generic em6 you will probably wanna download ember from the ember website www.ember-dev.com. I find the latest version v2.0.2 to be broken I prefer v1.0.1 myself as it works for me and most of the v2.0.2 features are cosmetic / addon related atleast for me.
How are things broken for you? 2.0.0 brings a far bit in performance increases over 1.x. Its almost a years worth of collective work between 1.x and 2.x.
It would be good to have your issues sorted before the isengard stable release this month...

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - PiBo7 - 2015-10-09

(2015-10-08, 22:04)Josh.5 Wrote: Can you be more specific on what box this is?
If you can tell me the name/number written on circuit board in the box, I can point you in the right direction...

So ive had a look inside and it says HD18 V2.22 on the board & on the actual casing itself it states its an "iptv18 pro smart tv box"

(2015-10-09, 05:13)kashmoney Wrote: @PiBo7 if u have G18ref box generic em6 you will probably wanna download ember from the ember website www.ember-dev.com. I find the latest version v2.0.2 to be broken I prefer v1.0.1 myself as it works for me and most of the v2.0.2 features are cosmetic / addon related atleast for me.

When you say broken, in what way do you mean as I've also been looking at this 1 and have downloaded it ready.
As for any others just point me in the right direction if you can please, im looking to test different linux 1s and see which i like..personally i go for appearance, ease of use (as my dad uses it) & video quality

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - PiBo7 - 2015-10-09

Nevermind, Ive got ember 2.0.2 installed on it now, seems ok so far so Im gonna test different addons out over the weekend and decide if i wanna change...I was over the moon it installed in 2 minutes I have to say.

The only things that has bothered me so far is:
1) The on screen keyboard is transparent along with pop up messages notifying me of installs etc and sometimes cant read it because of what is underneath it.
2) I cant seem to get any acestream streams to open but thats for another time.

Just like to say thanks for replying to my previous posts *Thumbs Up*

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - kashmoney - 2015-10-10

(2015-10-09, 05:23)Josh.5 Wrote:
How are things broken for you? 2.0.0 brings a far bit in performance increases over 1.x. Its almost a years worth of collective work between 1.x and 2.x.
It would be good to have your issues sorted before the isengard stable release this month...

(2015-10-09, 17:59)PiBo7 Wrote: Nevermind, Ive got ember 2.0.2 installed on it now, seems ok so far so Im gonna test different addons out over the weekend and decide if i wanna change...I was over the moon it installed in 2 minutes I have to say.

The only things that has bothered me so far is:
1) The on screen keyboard is transparent along with pop up messages notifying me of installs etc and sometimes cant read it because of what is underneath it.
2) I cant seem to get any acestream streams to open but thats for another time.

Just like to say thanks for replying to my previous posts *Thumbs Up*

the issues I have are with regards to installing. Ive installed on over 40 atv1200's and all of the units failed to install v2.0.2 on the first try. I had to open up the unit and short the pins to reflash it. I had good luck by doing v1.0.0 then v1.0.1 but if I upgraded from their it would mostly fail the install. the few times I did get it to install I had the same transparency issue with the default confluence skin. this is my reasoning for installing v1.0.1 and recommending it only.

[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Josh.5 - 2015-10-10

All the skin issues are present because its made for isengard. We pushed the skin to our repo early because people wanted better font support, but that sorta broke the background of dialogs...can't please everyone lol. Everything will come right in the coming weeks when isengard is pushed out via ota. If the skin is troubling you, I'd recommend installing another skin in the mean time.
As for bricking atv1200's, we cannot help people unless they provide detailed feedback in the form of debug logs etc. We test these builds on atv400, gbox mx2, generic g18ref, cmx and (on occasion) tlbbv2 devices before release. If you want a device added to that test list, I would suggest donating one to http://ember-dev.com
That being said, we do have intentions to purchase additional devices as donations keep rolling in. Currently tho, we've only just covered web hosting and a small % of current development costs.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - kashmoney - 2015-10-11

I get its a skin issue and it'll be fixed soon. i'll give the next version a shot and see how it goes. I have the bricking issue on the atv400 as well but those units for some reason will boot back up without needing to open them up using my bootcards. but on the atv1200's the pins need to be shorted for the boot cards to work.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Grand Total - 2015-10-11

(2015-10-11, 21:02)kashmoney Wrote: but on the atv1200's the pins need to be shorted for the boot cards to work.
Same here. Ember need to get themselves an ATV1200. They are available pretty cheaply second hand these days, and their product will never get wide acceptance while they ignore the ATV 1200.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-10-12

(2015-10-11, 21:06)Grand Total Wrote:
(2015-10-11, 21:02)kashmoney Wrote: but on the atv1200's the pins need to be shorted for the boot cards to work.
Same here. Ember need to get themselves an ATV1200. They are available pretty cheaply second hand these days, and their product will never get wide acceptance while they ignore the ATV 1200.

I could not agree more. Now they are no longer made but the curretnly available equivalent model is the ATV1220T which I believe is basically the same box with the additions of a DVB-T board. This is no good here in Thailand anyway as we use the new DVB-T2 system and anyway drivers are not available with Linux builds and practically nobody wants to use bloat-ware Android these days and set top DVB -T2 boxes with PVR are available for little over £12 equivalent here.

I tried with two boxes to flash EmbER V2.0.2 public edition over the default Android firmware and both time the box bricked, one I fixed and the other I could not and in fact sent it back to China where they usually fix problem boxes for me as they deal direct with Geniatech and I do buy quite a few boxes over the year. I really want EmbER to be reliable and easy to flash and revert on these G02Ref Geniatech MyGica boxes which are probably the most popular brand of all.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Jmwelch - 2015-10-17

Wondering if someone could help me out please.

I have a Cyclone Nano which I have had for years which is still running XMBC 12.0 desperately in need of a update. I have always avoided updating as it has always worked but now apps like Genesis etc no longer load any streams.

I purchased the box from eBay which had been converted to a Linux operating system.

It is currently running Linux 2.6.34 & XBMC 12

Is there a way I can revert the box back to Android or upgrade to the latest Kodi without bricking it?

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - mahmud - 2015-10-17

Hi I use mygica a11 Linux xbmc 12 . Which one is old Chinese android TVs box . I want to update it for kodi 15 .. Is it possible or not ..! If any one success with this box please reply me update details. Thanks advances xxx

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-10-18

(2015-10-17, 06:46)Jmwelch Wrote: Wondering if someone could help me out please.

I have a Cyclone Nano which I have had for years which is still running XMBC 12.0 desperately in need of a update. I have always avoided updating as it has always worked but now apps like Genesis etc no longer load any streams.

I purchased the box from eBay which had been converted to a Linux operating system.

It is currently running Linux 2.6.34 & XBMC 12

Is there a way I can revert the box back to Android or upgrade to the latest Kodi without bricking it?

Have you got the specs of this device?

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-10-18

(2015-10-17, 15:06)mahmud Wrote: Hi I use mygica a11 Linux xbmc 12 . Which one is old Chinese android TVs box . I want to update it for kodi 15 .. Is it possible or not ..! If any one success with this box please reply me update details. Thanks advances xxx

This is a M3 devices, look at this thread

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2015-10-21

Does anyone know if Isengard plays the HEVC codec ok? Having issues playing on 14.2 ....I just get sound and no picture.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bobones - 2015-10-23

You need an S805 for HEVC 1080p or an S812 for 4K HEVC with hardware acceleraion. These boxes won't cut it for HEVC.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - van141 - 2015-10-23

(2015-09-17, 17:40)raymw Wrote:
(2015-09-12, 15:09)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2015-09-12, 08:25)raymw Wrote: My back up files have grown huge and I notice clearly it is the massive number of thumbnails that have built up on my system. ... is there a safe way to delete them even if all and let new needed thumbnails load back in form online Huh

I tried simply by restoring all built the thumbnails with robwellers Backup add-on I use but although it still booted it ended up with just a blank black screen and needed to Revert to Android and then re-flash MX Linus Helix 14.2 back to recover the box. SO obviously I cannot just blanket delete all the thumbnails as they have coded links to them it appears

Of course I could just start a fresh set up adding the needed sources like .Xunity and Fusion and Super Repo etc and installing afresh all the add-ons I like to have in my basic set up and saving that as a fresh backup to load onto newly converted MX Linux boxes. But wondered if I need to go down that quite convoluted hour or so worth of work.

Ray all you need to do is delete the thumbnails folder and also the textures13 file in the database folder. In fact you can delete the whole database folder. Then do a backup.
On restore the thumbnails will be re generated.

Thanks a lot Ed. That did the trick and no I did not delete the full Database folder either just the Textures13 file and that was why it did not work just deleting the Thumbnails folder. With the Thumbnails folder deleted and this Textures13 file I simply rebooted and all was fine and the needed thumbnails just simply downloaded as required.

I find this a bit confusing, what did work in the end? That sentence where you describe what you did is somewhat convoluted...

Also backup simply means copying out to PC the .Kodi folder, right? So you could delete the Database and Thumbnail folders inside that backup on your PC and then copy thus slimmed Kodi to other boxes... right?

I use WinSCP to FTP into my box (MXLinux flashed ATV1200) and I suppose you copy over the existing .Kodi and restart the box, right? Unconfigured (just one addon installed to test) Kodi is just 20MB and without Database (1.5MB) and Thumbnails (15.5MB) you end up with just 3MB backup Smile

===========================
OK I think I need help. I used WinSCP I had knocking around, v5.5.5 and FTPed in fine, copied out .Kodi folder as it was directly there when I got inside the box, then I copied inside box .Kodi without the database and thumbnails folders, it worked and still works fine, however the WinSCP I was using started reporting some memory problems and couldn't connect to box, on more tries it connected but the pane where root of the box should be was nothing... Anyway I have another newer version WinSCP v5.7.2 and that gets into the box fine, shows files on the box BUT its weird, now all I see is Linux files and can't find the .Kodi folder. I looked around, am not total noob but still can't find it. Where did it go? Where did I log in previously when I saw only some three or four, maybe just two files, of which one was .Kodi folder? Why am I now in linux root with all the usual files there but inside any of them I don't see .Kodi folder? I think I got lost, not sure what I am doing now. Help.

Kodi on the box still works fine, reboot of the box is fine, just that now I got all linux but cannot find the .Kodi directory
---------------------------------
OK Update - with newer version of winscp, the best I could recall I've seen .Kodi folder was in root directory that you get into also when you click the little house looking icon... but inside were just Data and lost+found folders. I recall that's where the .Kodi folder was but is not there anymore and nowhere to be seen. I give up and try again the older version winscp that worked for me and it logged in fine and in the root directory is now the .Kodi folder along with Data and lost+found folders plus .xbmc, .sysconfig folders which are sort of greyed out, same as .Kodi is. However you can select them just fine... Anyway, what does this greyout mean and why the other winscp didn't show or see these files starting with '.'? My linux knowledge doesn't reach that far, thank you.