Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-03-23

(2015-03-19, 06:15)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-03-17, 13:55)raymw Wrote: Auxbox I have got that dual core CMX box now as recommended so would appreciate if you can send me the link for the Linux Helix 14.0 compile for it so I can test it out. Many thanks in advance mate.

Here you go raymw 14.1 Helix.
https://mega.co.nz/#!z8I1GQIL!AYdhryKoYdb1Pcb8PNYyyiRskYuhFoEcQKYldLfc6lE

Just leave sdcard or usb stick out and boot to recovery menu then plug it in and flash

Thanks very much Auxbox. Been away for a few days but now back and will try this tomorrow as getting too late here now. Also many thanks for the Helix 14.1 build on page 1 will download and test that too.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-03-24

(2015-03-22, 20:59)dippa Wrote:
(2015-03-22, 10:13)dippa Wrote: hey again Smile
i have a problem again haha.. i have been messing with my sumvision X2 and firmwares as i really didnt like the Genitech firmware.. but probem i have i have written a ATV1200 to a ATV520 box and think i bricked it.. i been looking though forums and noticed about shorting pins and are in process of trying.. atm i have 1 red light on box so dont think its totally dead but any help would be great or pointing in right direction. i have tried revert but recovery will not boot at all.

thanks again for support guy u all been great

update.. ive got recovery working with shorted pins but will not write anything to box.. tried revert and unbrick files on this post to no success

Does it install anything from recovery?
Or do you see any firmware files

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - xbmcdoc - 2015-03-24

(2015-03-22, 18:28)gingerprince Wrote: Hi

I installed the Kodi 14.1 image on my Sumvision X2 (ATV1200 basically). All works okay, however it isn't seeing my internal drive. /proc/partitions doesn't show it. Is the kernel devoid of SATA drivers or is there something I need to do to get it to see my drive?

Thanks

The "Sumvision X2" (with internal SATA driver) is more like a ATV3200. This issue was posted a few weeks ago. I don't remember there being a fix for it. Might want to SSH in and try to mount it manually. Some scripts were given in the older post but nothing seem to work.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-03-24

(2015-03-23, 18:20)raymw Wrote:
(2015-03-19, 06:15)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-03-17, 13:55)raymw Wrote: Auxbox I have got that dual core CMX box now as recommended so would appreciate if you can send me the link for the Linux Helix 14.0 compile for it so I can test it out. Many thanks in advance mate.

Here you go raymw 14.1 Helix.

Just leave sdcard or usb stick out and boot to recovery menu then plug it in and flash

Thanks very much Auxbox. Been away for a few days but now back and will try this tomorrow as getting too late here now. Also many thanks for the Helix 14.1 build on page 1 will download and test that too.

Well just trying to do this but I cannot find any reset button anywhere. Looking for hidden reset button hole for my toothpick to insert into but nothing. I suppose I use the Android in-build update facility which only seems to look at an SD card, though of course that is not a problem. Will try this then form an SD card with this downloaded build on. Hmm this is not as straightforward as I thought it would be Huh

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-03-24

(2015-03-24, 09:45)raymw Wrote:
(2015-03-23, 18:20)raymw Wrote:
(2015-03-19, 06:15)AuXBoX Wrote: Here you go raymw 14.1 Helix.

Well just trying to do this but I cannot find any reset button anywhere. Looking for hidden reset button hole for my toothpick to insert into but nothing. I suppose I use the Android in-build update facility which only seems to look at an SD card, though of course that is not a problem. Will try this then form an SD card with this downloaded build on. Hmm this is not as straightforward as I thought it would be Huh
It should be in the AV hole
It is easier

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-03-24

Hi Auxbox

Well it was a disaster updating from the Android system update screen. It booted up with MX Linux penguin logo them went to the same MBOX logo screen the box gave as default and booted into Android 4,2 but now no XBMC app showingHuh.

Anyway finally found the reset hidden button by inserting the toothpick into the AV jack plug socket where I could feel at the back and it clicked in as normal. Anyway it would only boot back into Android even with the button held in. So tried it with the SD card in and it went through a normal Linux boot up from the SD card but obviously loaded the G02Ref firmware on there as that is what the bootloader still pointed to. So changed the parameter file which I edited to point and load the new G18Ref zip file I had on te3h same SD card and hoped it would work. Well I did eventually see the recovery screen after it tried to load the G18Ref firmware in but with a fail and nothing would work as it was all locked up. A reboot simply went through the same procedure. So tried booting without any card in and absolutely nothing just a blank screen but the blue light on the front of the box still lit.

Looks like the parameter file is only for the G02Ref installs even though now edited to point to the G18Ref zip file you sent me. So maybe it needs a different boot up loader for the G18Ref boxes. Also the box apparently is not badged CMX but just MX and the supplier tells me this is the original genuine box and the CMX one is a poor copy. In Android the system info did indeed say G18Ref. Now I have a bricked box that will try to load the firmware but just fails each time and will only boot to the update loader from the SD card now same as a G02Ref box.

Looks like this is not going to be a practical box to buy and wil have to stick with the ATV1220 boxes which have replaced the what I feel are likely the best boxes for Linux the ATV1200 boxes. So can you help with a G18Ref SD card loader update to make a bootable SD card Linux update set.

BTW updated my ATV1200 box to your new Linux Helix 14.1 and it works a treat with no problem found so far. No problem playing files either even full HD with DTS sound from either a plugged in hard drive or from my NAS Drives via the LAN, all play perfectly smoothly.

(2015-03-24, 12:03)raymw Wrote: Hi Auxbox

Well it was a disaster updating from the Android system update screen. It booted up with MX Linux penguin logo them went to the same MBOX logo screen the box gave as default and booted into Android 4,2 but now no XBMC app showingHuh.

Anyway finally found the reset hidden button by inserting the toothpick into the AV jack plug socket where I could feel at the back and it clicked in as normal. Anyway it would only boot back into Android even with the button held in. So tried it with the SD card in and it went through a normal Linux boot up from the SD card but obviously loaded the G02Ref firmware on there as that is what the bootloader still pointed to. So changed the parameter file which I edited to point and load the new G18Ref zip file I had on te3h same SD card and hoped it would work. Well I did eventually see the recovery screen after it tried to load the G18Ref firmware in but with a fail and nothing would work as it was all locked up. A reboot simply went through the same procedure. So tried booting without any card in and absolutely nothing just a blank screen but the blue light on the front of the box still lit.

Looks like the parameter file is only for the G02Ref installs even though now edited to point to the G18Ref zip file you sent me. So maybe it needs a different boot up loader for the G18Ref boxes. Also the box apparently is not badged CMX but just MX and the supplier tells me this is the original genuine box and the CMX one is a poor copy. In Android the system info did indeed say G18Ref. Now I have a bricked box that will try to load the firmware but just fails each time and will only boot to the update loader from the SD card now same as a G02Ref box.

Looks like this is not going to be a practical box to buy and wil have to stick with the ATV1220 boxes which have replaced the what I feel are likely the best boxes for Linux the ATV1200 boxes. So can you help with a G18Ref SD card loader update to make a bootable SD card Linux update set.

BTW updated my ATV1200 box to your new Linux Helix 14.1 and it works a treat with no problem found so far. No problem playing files either even full HD with DTS sound from either a plugged in hard drive or from my NAS Drives via the LAN, all play perfectly smoothly.

Don't give up. I'ts definately worth it.
Do you get into recovery screen?
You should leave any sdcard or usb stick out
Hold the reset button, plug in power.
Hold for 15 seconds, release and it should boot to recovery.
Plug in the sdcard or USB stick and flash file i gave you

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - dippa - 2015-03-24

(2015-03-24, 00:45)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-03-22, 20:59)dippa Wrote:
(2015-03-22, 10:13)dippa Wrote: hey again Smile
i have a problem again haha.. i have been messing with my sumvision X2 and firmwares as i really didnt like the Genitech firmware.. but probem i have i have written a ATV1200 to a ATV520 box and think i bricked it.. i been looking though forums and noticed about shorting pins and are in process of trying.. atm i have 1 red light on box so dont think its totally dead but any help would be great or pointing in right direction. i have tried revert but recovery will not boot at all.

thanks again for support guy u all been great

update.. ive got recovery working with shorted pins but will not write anything to box.. tried revert and unbrick files on this post to no success

Does it install anything from recovery?
Or do you see any firmware files

thanks for reply Aux
i managed to get android back onto box think it was just a fail flash or something but its all working again thanks Smile really think its time for new box so i can use linux as android just to slow

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-24, 13:04)AuXBoX Wrote: Don't give up. I'ts definately worth it.

Thanks for you help Auxbox, always most appreciated.

Well if I do that with no SD or USB card plugged in then nothing happens just a blank screen and no recovery screen no matter how many minutes I wait. Just the blue LED lit on the front of box and nothing displayed. If I plug in a bootable SD card, albeit one used for the ATV1200 boxes, then I get the MX Linux logo up and it tries to update but fails and leaves me then actually in the usual recovery screen with the failure message I reported before, but it is frozen and I cannot select any options with remote (or wireless keyboard) though the power off button at least does work. This happens no matter whether I point the factory_update_param.aml file text to use the G02 or G18 update zip file. If I leave the factory_update_param.aml empty of any script then it boots into a clean recovery screen with no failure messages but alas again it is frozen and I cannot select any options or even get it to reboot only power it off.

Tried the old Jynx Revert to Android SD bootable card, which for me always works brilliantly with bricked ATV 520/1200 boxes, and this again fails as is expected and normal first time, but then just continues to fail on second and any subsequent attempts as I would expect being an Android install intended for the ATV1200 / 520 boxes. So I am stuck unless you have a revert to Android SD card boot up set up for these G18Ref boxes as then I can return to the box to its original or near original Android state. Then I can try again properly from scratch now knowing where the reset button is hidden.

I think the problem has been caused by my trying to update to Linux through the Android system update facility as I mentioned earlier when I could not find the hidden reset button. If that is all it is, then this is a shame as these boxes look good and solid, and of course somewhat cheaper than the Geniatech G02Ref dual core boxes.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Russtyb - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 11:09)raymw Wrote:

Well if I do that with no SD or USB card plugged in then nothing happens just a blank screen and no recovery screen no matter how many minutes I wait. Just the blue LED lit on the front of box and nothing displayed. If I plug in a bootable SD card, albeit one used for the ATV1200 boxes, then I get the MX Linux logo up and it tries to update but fails and leaves me then actually in the usual recovery screen with the failure message I reported before, but it is frozen and I cannot select any options with remote (or wireless keyboard) though the power off button at least does work. This happens no matter whether I point the factory_update_param.aml file text to use the G02 or G18 update zip file. If I leave the factory_update_param.aml empty of any script then it boots into a clean recovery screen with no failure messages but alas again it is frozen and I cannot select any options or even get it to reboot only power it off.

Tried the old Jynx Revert to Android SD bootable card, which for me always works brilliantly with bricked ATV 520/1200 boxes, and this again fails as is expected and normal first time, but then just continues to fail on second and any subsequent attempts as I would expect being an Android install intended for the ATV1200 / 520 boxes. So I am stuck unless you have a revert to Android SD card boot up set up for these G18Ref boxes as then I can return to the box to its original or near original Android state. Then I can try again properly from scratch now knowing where the reset button is hidden.

I think the problem has been caused by my trying to update to Linux through the Android system update facility as I mentioned earlier when I could not find the hidden reset button. If that is all it is, then this is a shame as these boxes look good and solid, and of course somewhat cheaper than the Geniatech G02Ref dual core boxes.

Sorry to chime in, I know I'm new lol but I've been doing a little research on these boxes. I've read on the cnx-software site that you need to flash matricom firmware 1.1.6 before flashing linux images. Apparently this changes the partition tables. This could be the reason behind your bricked box? I'm probably totally wrong though lol.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/07/30/50-cmx-dual-core-android-tv-box-runs-android-4-2-supports-xbmc-linux/

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 11:09)raymw Wrote:

I just got another box which has mxII on it. This one has no reset button and I tried to do the same as you did and I've got the same problem. I'm trying a couple things now and will let you know the outcome

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-03-25

Thanks Russtyb and that is a useful link there too. That matricom firmware is only needed to load first if you are installing the openelec firmware it seems from reading the blurb on that linked to site. Nice thing is there is a Revert To Android file there so will try that if I can get it to boot up into recovery or get it to auto install from an SD bootable card.

Thanks Auxbox but sorry to hear you have bricked yours too. Strange no reset button at all on yours, must be one somewhere hidden well. If I can get my box back to Android then I will try the proper method using the reset button into recovery screen and manually install that Linux build you sent me from a USB stick/SD Card.

I will keep you informed here of any progress or new discoveries of course. and that may help others on here too who maybe thinking of going down this root..

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - xbmcdoc - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 11:55)AuXBoX Wrote: I just got another box which has mxII on it. This one has no reset button and I tried to do the same as you did and I've got the same problem. I'm trying a couple things now and will let you know the outcome

AuXBoX have you seen the ATV360 from Geniatech? Same as the ATV520E just has a metal frame and a Realtek wifi instead of a broadcom. They had it at the CES event in Las Vegas. If your interested I can donate one to you. Again, thanks for the Kodi Linux.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-03-26

(2015-03-25, 18:26)raymw Wrote: Thanks Russtyb and that is a useful link there too. That matricom firmware is only needed to load first if you are installing the openelec firmware it seems from reading the blurb on that linked to site. Nice thing is there is a Revert To Android file there so will try that if I can get it to boot up into recovery or get it to auto install from an SD bootable card.

Thanks Auxbox but sorry to hear you have bricked yours too. Strange no reset button at all on yours, must be one somewhere hidden well. If I can get my box back to Android then I will try the proper method using the reset button into recovery screen and manually install that Linux build you sent me from a USB stick/SD Card.

I will keep you informed here of any progress or new discoveries of course. and that may help others on here too who maybe thinking of going down this root..

I've pulled the thing apart and theres no actual button

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Nikxx - 2015-03-26

Watch Live Cricket Streaming Online & Enjoy Live Cricket Scores of India vs South Africa ... ICC Cricket World Cup - 2nd Semi Final. South Africa vs India Semi Final 2, Sydney Cricket Ground Free @ http://tvtimez.com | http://tvtimez.com | http://tvtimez.com