Kodi Community Forum
Bay Trail-D motherboards - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Bay Trail-D motherboards (/showthread.php?tid=184930)

Bay Trail-D motherboards - decpvr - 2014-08-08

It looks like the AS-Rock DC input board is now £76 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KIJ8WDK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KIJ8WDK&linkCode=xm2&tag=camelalerts-21

Seems a pretty good deal to me if you're in the UK. Saves on the cost of a Pico-PSU!

Bay Trail-D motherboards - decpvr - 2014-08-08

As a little update on de-interlacing/scaling, I've been testing out my MSI J1900i motherboard with hardware acceleration disabled.

This gives much better de-interlacing, which is fine for my requirements.

I only need it for watching SD TV (UK 576i based material), which the processor handles easily.

I'm using TVHeadend to stream freeview to XBMC.

This also appears to still be able to cope with full 1080p Blu-Ray rips.

1 of the cores will hover around the 80% mark when doing this (with the others hanging around 10-20%).

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems ideal for me?

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - MediaPi - 2014-08-09

thankyou alot decpvr, I know you put in alot of effort testing and so you tried to get more hardware to see if it makes a difference. Did you manage to actually see what scaling algorithm it was using...bilinear/..? I definetly think its a great bang/buck board but using software decoding will def increase your electricity bills in the year.

Bay Trail-D motherboards - decpvr - 2014-08-09

(2014-08-09, 00:51)MediaPi Wrote: thankyou alot decpvr, I know you put in alot of effort testing and so you tried to get more hardware to see if it makes a difference. Did you manage to actually see what scaling algorithm it was using...bilinear/..? I definetly think its a great bang/buck board but using software decoding will def increase your electricity bills in the year.

I selected 'Lancsoz 3' but I don't know how to confirm if this is actually being used?

The de-interlacing appeared to make a far greater impact on image quality than any scaling method. Please bear in mind I'm only testing on a 720p 32" TV.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - ant_thomas - 2014-08-09

(2014-08-08, 21:52)decpvr Wrote: As a little update on de-interlacing/scaling, I've been testing out my MSI J1900i motherboard with hardware acceleration disabled.

This gives much better de-interlacing, which is fine for my requirements.

I only need it for watching SD TV (UK 576i based material), which the processor handles easily.

I'm using TVHeadend to stream freeview to XBMC.

This also appears to still be able to cope with full 1080p Blu-Ray rips.

1 of the cores will hover around the 80% mark when doing this (with the others hanging around 10-20%).

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems ideal for me?

Got to agree with your findings

I'm using an Asus EeeBox EB1037 which is an Intel J1900 with nvidia 820m.
The nvidia 820m graphics aren't currently working in Linux so I'm relying on the Intel J1900.

Running OpenELEC 4.0.7 with everything in software mode.

Enable multi-threaded CPU decoding if you have the option (under expert options I think), that might change your 80% on 1 CPU issue.

My findings are that all in software with VAAPI turned off:

"Deinterlace" works great for SD Live TV content.

"Deinterlace (half)" works better for HD Live TV content.
When it is set to "Deinterlace" there's some drops and stutters on 1080i content.

It can only really cope with Bilinear scaling.

(this is all at 1080p compared to your 720p)

Bay Trail-D motherboards - decpvr - 2014-08-09

(2014-08-09, 17:50)ant_thomas Wrote: Got to agree with your findings

The nvidia 820m graphics aren't currently working in Linux so I'm relying on the Intel J1900.

Enable multi-threaded CPU decoding if you have the option (under expert options I think), that might change your 80% on 1 CPU issue.

When it is set to "Deinterlace" there's some drops and stutters on 1080i content.

Yup - exactly as I found it. I did also test some 1080i content and found I had to enable 'deinterlace (half)' to enable smooth playback.

I'm fairly sure I did enable multi-threaded decoding. The higher CPU usage may have been scaling from 1080p down to my 720p TV.

I had mine set to 'Lanczos 3' for scaling. I don't know if there's any way of confirming if this is actually enabled or not though?

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - fritsch - 2014-08-09

What's the problem with the 820m? vdpau not working? If it would not be supported you would not even get a picture.

If that gpu is only halfway capable and similar like e.g. GT 610 you should be able to use VDPAU (not VAAPI - as you use the nvidia gpu) with the vdpau deinterlacers and lanczos3 should also be fine.

Sw decoding + sw deinterlacing just sucks for such a system.

(2014-08-09, 18:08)fritsch Wrote: What's the problem with the 820m? vdpau not working? If it would not be supported you would not even get a picture.

It's an nvidia Optimus based setup so it has both the Intel Graphics and nvidia graphics and things are switched between the two.

So far it looks like an issues with ACPI/CSM where the Linux nvidia drivers can't communicate with the 820m.

In hindsight I should have just got an i3 based NUC. I am considering selling the EB1037 to do just that.

The baytrail gpu really sucks. We are (since some time) implementing VPP Video Post processing via vaapi and we can already say that the performance of those baytrails just sucks gpu wise. It's nowhere near possible to decode and deinterlace on the gpu. The best thing for now is: decode on the gpu, copy data to system memory (by stressing the cpu) and do very basic deinterlacing by using opengl interpolation at the renderer.

On the GPU only VPP-BOB works. If you consider LiveTV as your primary usecase - just don't go with those baytrails this time.

Definitely, it's just not up to the job for decent hardware de-interlacing and scaling for Live TV.

My reason for buying the EB1037 was the nvidia graphics, form factor and price.

But it's kinda pointless without the nvidia graphics.

Was a good thought ... perhaps some hacks appear in the future to make it usable.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - noggin - 2014-08-09

(2014-08-09, 18:01)decpvr Wrote:
(2014-08-09, 17:50)ant_thomas Wrote: Got to agree with your findings

Yup - exactly as I found it. I did also test some 1080i content and found I had to enable 'deinterlace (half)' to enable smooth playback.

I'm fairly sure I did enable multi-threaded decoding. The higher CPU usage may have been scaling from 1080p down to my 720p TV.

I had mine set to 'Lanczos 3' for scaling. I don't know if there's any way of confirming if this is actually enabled or not though?

If you use 'deinterlace (half)' you will only get smooth playback on material originally shot 25p (if you are in a 50Hz territory) - like high-end drama and documentary. News, Sport, Entertainment and soaps like EastEnders are shot at 50i natively (i.e. 50Hz refresh not 25Hz) and if you 'deinterlace (half)' you don't get the original smooth motion, you get juddery 'film effect' motion. At the least 'Bob' will retain the 50Hz motion present in the original 50i origination.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - andel - 2014-08-10

Hi All

I have gigabyte J1800n Rev1 and a Pioneer VSX-LX70 amp. I am running Windows 8 and it would seem there is a problem with the HDMI drivers for this board. When the board is connected directly to the TV there is no problem, when the board is connected via the amp the splash screen displays but as it continues to load the screens goes black and dosnt display anything. Has anyone else experienced this or can perhaps offer a solution?

Thanks

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - ant_thomas - 2014-08-10

(2014-08-09, 22:45)noggin Wrote: If you use 'deinterlace (half)' you will only get smooth playback on material originally shot 25p (if you are in a 50Hz territory) - like high-end drama and documentary. News, Sport, Entertainment and soaps like EastEnders are shot at 50i natively (i.e. 50Hz refresh not 25Hz) and if you 'deinterlace (half)' you don't get the original smooth motion, you get juddery 'film effect' motion. At the least 'Bob' will retain the 50Hz motion present in the original 50i origination.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that.

I've started to use Bob on some 1080i channels, especially for sport because Deinterlace (half) is a bit too juddery.

Thankfully Deinterlace works on SD content because Bob is painful to watch on SD content.

RE: Bay Trail-D motherboards - noggin - 2014-08-10

(2014-08-10, 15:02)ant_thomas Wrote:
(2014-08-09, 22:45)noggin Wrote: If you use 'deinterlace (half)' you will only get smooth playback on material originally shot 25p (if you are in a 50Hz territory) - like high-end drama and documentary. News, Sport, Entertainment and soaps like EastEnders are shot at 50i natively (i.e. 50Hz refresh not 25Hz) and if you 'deinterlace (half)' you don't get the original smooth motion, you get juddery 'film effect' motion. At the least 'Bob' will retain the 50Hz motion present in the original 50i origination.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that.

I've started to use Bob on some 1080i channels, especially for sport because Deinterlace (half) is a bit too juddery.

Thankfully Deinterlace works on SD content because Bob is painful to watch on SD content.

Yep - 1080i is a lot more of a challenge than 1080p ;-)

That's one of the benefits of the Haswell Celeron 2955U in the Chromebox and Gigabyte Brix (and if you don't watch 24p stuff, the Ivy Bridge Celeron 1007U and 1037U in other boxes). They have the CPU power to do YADIF 2x de-interlace of 1080/50i, which is significantly better than Bob. It's a pity that Intel's Linux drivers are so poor in de-interlacing terms (aka VPP)